Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

I'm going to try and give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to his personal problems. I'm expecting him to step up next year and being overweight again is not helping. I would like to see him around 260-265. He's got a long way to go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-overweight/

Blog Entries

Re: Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

I just hope he's realizing this is not good for his career. It sounds that way in the interview, but I hope it's really getting into his head. As it stands, he'll probably get down close to where he wants by end of camp, but if he shows up in shape next year, he can focus solely on improving his technique, and not just on the conditioning.

As I said before, Suggs used to show up out of shape. After he got his new deal, he showed up on time and in shape and suddenly...the light came on even brighter.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Very disappointing but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he's listing a personal issue as one of the problems.

I just hope he realizes he's really putting his career at risk right now. Not only are the coaches going to be fed up at some point, but he's going to be more injury prone the more weight he carries.

Blog Entries

Personal issues are one thing, but i dont think that just excuses it either. If its handled now, Its time to put in the work and come to TC in shape, which there is plenty of time to do. If hes still struggling with this come TC, its going to come off as more of an excuse than anything. Time will tell.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

285 isn't good. He knows where he's supposed to be. No reason why he can't just hire a diet service to prepare all his meals. Half of Hollywood does that. If he uses food to get through personal issues he's going to have a difficult life.

Blog Entries

He was never a lightweight Slim Jim, even when he was drafted. I know that personal issues can throw a curve into your daily life, but he has to understand that he has a professional responsibility to his family, the fans, and especially himself. I'd hate to see such a talented young LBer eat his way out of the NFL... Bc
    P.S. - Upshaw should be following John Simon to the gym, or he will be following Simon onto the football field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    As I said before, Suggs used to show up out of shape. After he got his new deal, he showed up on time and in shape and suddenly...the light came on even brighter.
    Your timeline is a little off, or perhaps it's just the way I'm reading it. The first year after signing his new deal, Suggs came in fat and slow, and had an overall season that was well below his standards. After that, he got it. He's not made the same mistake again, and I don't think he ever will. I don't doubt that Ray had a few words with him, too, as the year went on that cemented the lesson for him.

As an aside, I was listening to a discussion on The Fan the other day about who the new leaders are going to be. The talking heads (I think it was Zinno and Vinnie, but I can't remember). They and most of the callers were panning the idea of Suggs being a leader in the locker room. I think they don't understand leadership, personally. Suggs already is a leader and he's going to be more central in that role, in my expectations, this coming season on the defense. That he's a joker who likes to keep the mood light doesn't negate that. His inculcation of the lesson learned after not being prepared for his first season as a highly-paid "star" in the NFL is evidence of his leadership qualities. He's not Ray. No one else is going to be. But he is and will be a leader on the Ravens. And he'll be a good one.

Blog Entries

If he's overweight in August, it's a different matter. Now, pfffft

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    :word It's obviously unsettling, but I'll be more worried coming training camp.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    :word It's obviously unsettling, but I'll be more worried coming training camp.
    Do not agree at all. When I was his age, I played for a soft ball team, and kept in tip-top shape. No money exchanged hands. Here is a man whose future is partially determined by his weight. If he cannot do it now (at 23) then when ? ... Bc

Ravenswintitle is right.

But given the nature of this article, I dont see any middle ground.

I was reading the article as saying, LAST year Upshaw admittedly slacked and THIS year, he's afraid personal issues might get in his way...

That tell me he's either gotten the message loud and clear (and wants to avoid problems) or he is already making excuses.

But it's not an issue yet. Talk to me during training camp.

Blog Entries

This is the reason why Upshaw fell to the 2nd round. Even Ozzie who obviously like him was willing to lose him rather than spend 1st round money for him. A lot of guys would be pissed they just lost millions of dollars and work their ass off to prove that everyone was wrong. All Upshaw has done is prove that the critics were right.

Wait until he sees what happens to his buddy Cody on the free agent market next year. I bet he won't be out of shape in 2014 after he sees the real financial impact of that decision.