Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pranksters who taped GM's face wiretapping charges

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...154359214.html

You may remember the guys who pranked Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik and former Buffalo GM Buddy Nix a couple of months ago. They recorded Nix trashing his starting QB, among other things.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4662--nfl.html

Well, they're officially in Federal deep shyte. and face up to five years in prison.

So if any of you were thinking about doing this: don't. The long arm of Goodell will get you.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

This a function of Goodell how exactly?

Re: Pranksters who taped GM's face wiretapping charges

Someone has to press charges, right?

No Fun League.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Someone has to press charges, right?

No Fun League.
    So now Goodell has the power to press charges in federal court?

Blog Entries

This was a dumbass move from the beginning. It didn't even have to come from Goodell. There are so many powerful attorneys attached to the NFL, it's ridiculous.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So now Goodell has the power to press charges in federal court?
    I'm sure he could encourage the US Attorney in that district to investigate and file charges. He is a powerful dude.

Blog Entries

The league investigated it as well they should; it's a federal offense. Those two owners could also press charges and seek damages if they so choose but either way these guys are in trouble.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    I'm sure he could encourage the US Attorney in that district to investigate and file charges. He is a powerful dude.
    He's not THAT powerful. The US Attorney for NYC is far more powerful then the head of some sports league.

According to the article, there were questions about the legality of the recordings when they were first released.

While I agree the league had an interest in seeing charges being brought, the NFL is not omnipotent in regards to criminal cases nor does it mean any pressure can be brought against a sitting US Attorney.

Goodell could no sooner force / influence federal wiretap charges than you or I.

He's not THAT powerful. The US Attorney for NYC is far more powerful then the head of some sports league.

According to the article, there were questions about the legality of the recordings when they were first released.

While I agree the league had an interest in seeing charges being brought, the NFL is not omnipotent in regards to criminal cases nor does it mean any pressure can be brought against a sitting US Attorney.

Goodell could no sooner force / influence federal wiretap charges than you or I.
    I agree with you overall, but I don't know, I just have a feeling Roger Goodell and the NFL could potentially have more influence over a federal prosecutor than you or I.

I've known many, many prosecutors. Not one of them would give a shit about a call from Roger Gooddell when it comes to the professional discharge of his or her duties, and not one of them was that high up the totem pole.

I understand where the comment is coming from, but Roger Goodell does not yank the chain of a U.S. Attorney.
    Last edited by festivus; 05-30-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: edit: Well, some were actually very high up different totem poles. None was a US Attorney, though.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Slightly off topic, but they should stop calling it "wiretapping". You don't have to actually tap the phone line to listen in on phone calls as a 3rd party, as was obviously the case here.

Apparently you have never heard of money. Enough of it can convince any one to do any thing.

Edit: And I don't mean just through bribing.