Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Introducing ILB...John Simon?

I've been watching NFL games all month and haven't watched Simon at all from his OSU days, but in looking at his build and his "grain of salt" pro-day numbers...could this guy be a solid ILB?

Generally, to me, his intangibles and skill scream "get me on the field!", and with our beefed up DL + Elvis, I don't know if we will get a lot of mileage out of a situational pass rusher (i.e., Simon's projected role for the short term). I've read that he struggled to cover RBs and TEs during Sr Bowl week, so he's not a natural by any stretch, and may not be able to get it done...even as he works at it.

I figure the Buckeye or B10 fans out there may have some strong opinions one way or another, but again, I'm just looking at getting Simon on the field beyond situationally.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: Introducing ILB...John Simon?

I'm not sure if he'd fit the mold of a modern ILB, he's built too much like a tank and I don't think he is agile enough really. Its the same debate on whether we should move Upshaw to ILB or not, John Simon is a very similar prospect to what Upshaw is. Big, strong power rushers that just aren't all that athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm not sure if he'd fit the mold of a modern ILB, he's built too much like a tank and I don't think he is agile enough really. Its the same debate on whether we should move Upshaw to ILB or not, John Simon is a very similar prospect to what Upshaw is. Big, strong power rushers that just aren't all that athletic.
    Agreed. Let's keep him at what he excels at: rushing the passer and setting the edge.

Blog Entries

the lowdown on Simon is he's a safety plan in case Suggs becomes a salary cap casualty next year.

If you consider him to be in the mold of JJ, then ILB is more of a situational thing for him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    the lowdown on Simon is he's a safety plan in case Suggs becomes a salary cap casualty next year.

If you consider him to be in the mold of JJ, then ILB is more of a situational thing for him.
    The lowdown? From who?

Blog Entries

John Simon is a SAM LB he isn't going to ever replace Sizzle because he'll never be close to what he is as a pass rusher. If anything, Dumervil is the true replacement for Suggs if he is a cap casualty next year (which I don't think happens anyway)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    John Simon is a SAM LB he isn't going to ever replace Sizzle because he'll never be close to what he is as a pass rusher. If anything, Dumervil is the true replacement for Suggs if he is a cap casualty next year (which I don't think happens anyway)
    :word
    I don't see Suggs being a cap casualty after this season either. The Ravens take care of their key players, especially players that they have drafted, developed, and who have played well for them. I think the Ravens are going to extend Suggs after this season to get the cap relief they will need for next season.

I don't know much about Simon, but isn't he about 240 lbs? I wouldn't equate him with Upshaw who is about 275 lbs. Unless, Simon just doesn't have the lateral movement skills necessary to play ILB, I would think that the Ravens would take a look at him there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post

:word
    I don't see Suggs being a cap casualty after this season either. The Ravens take care of their key players, especially players that they have drafted, developed, and who have played well for them. I think the Ravens are going to extend Suggs after this season to get the cap relief they will need for next season.

I don't know much about Simon, but isn't he about 240 lbs? I wouldn't equate him with Upshaw who is about 275 lbs. Unless, Simon just doesn't have the lateral movement skills necessary to play ILB, I would think that the Ravens would take a look at him there.
    6'2" 260lbs.

He could play ILB...but I think he is much better suited as a Sam OLB. He is a much better pass rusher than some on this thread are suggesting, but his qualities are definitely as a run stopper. Still, I could see him duplicating what Kruger did here the last two seasons. I could see Simon being a 7-9 sack per year player.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    6'2" 260lbs.

He could play ILB...but I think he is much better suited as a Sam OLB. He is a much better pass rusher than some on this thread are suggesting, but his qualities are definitely as a run stopper. Still, I could see him duplicating what Kruger did here the last two seasons. I could see Simon being a 7-9 sack per year player.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    See, I don't even see him as a Kruger type player. I think Kruger has more explosion than Simon. Simon is motor guy, and got most of his sacks from hard work rather than a natural explosive element to his game. I seen the same thing in Upshaw at Alabama. Both are going to be solid players like Jarret Johnson in the NFL, but I don't think either have the ability to ever become a teams premium pass rusher, and certainly aren't going to be the guys replacing Sizzle whenever he retires/leaves the team etc....

Blog Entries

it was something mentioned by a few beat writers I think. I guess the thinking is Simon would take Upshaw's spot in setting the edge on running plays and have Upshaw be more of a pass rusher...

All I know is we have a LOT of talented OLBs now. Good problem to have.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    it was something mentioned by a few beat writers I think. I guess the thinking is Simon would take Upshaw's spot in setting the edge on running plays and have Upshaw be more of a pass rusher...

All I know is we have a LOT of talented OLBs now. Good problem to have.
    Upshaw was one of the leagues best edge setter last season, I don't see how it would make sense to take Upshaw's snaps away from something he is elite at already and replace them with a 4th round rookie who is probably more explosive that Upshaw anyway. I think Simon will play in certain sub packages and may be moved inside to DT on 3rd downs, he will probably see time at OLB as a pass rusher occasionally too. Upshaw is basically Jarrett Johnson, John Simon is the same with slightly more explosion to his game, but will back up Upshaw as a sam LB to start with, then we'll see what happens.

Either way, it is fair to say that Pees has a lot more depth and talent to work with in the front 7 this year, this defense could be very multiple and has 3 all pro players on the Dline. If Pees gets our D back in the top 5 this year, I wont be surprised if he gets a few looks at being a HC somewhere.

Blog Entries

Kruger wasnt really known for explosiveness either but a endless motor. You can work with that. As far as being ILB i see the same things others have said. It would be similar to putting upshaw there. He may be a little more agile but if either are there i dont think its an optimum situation. If im not mistaken simon hasnt played LB in years so hes already needing to adjust to sam even, let alone ILB which has a different skill set than DE/SAM which is atleast similar. I think its asking a lot of him to make that move.
    -JAB