Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SuggsKill Guest

Brian Urlacher retires after 13 seasons

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...bears-retiring

He's one of the only four players who have recorded 40 sacks and 20 interceptions.

He is one of the best linebackers I've ever watched, and it was a pleasure. I don't think he was ever as intense as Lewis was but the guy is one of the greatest defensive players in Bears history.

How does everyone feel about it? I think he's a Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by SuggsKill View Post
    [url] I think he's a Hall of Famer.

There is no doubt he's a HOF player. No question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I'm actually a little annoyed by his timing. Now either he waits a 6th year to go into the Hall because the committee doesn't want to send two guys at the same position from the same era in together, or he goes in with the man we all know was the GOAT and he has to share the spotlight.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'm actually a little annoyed by his timing. Now either he waits a 6th year to go into the Hall because the committee doesn't want to send two guys at the same position from the same era in together, or he goes in with the man we all know was the GOAT and he has to share the spotlight.
    There's no sharing. Ray will hold the spotlight. Personally I think Ray is 1 of the reasons Gonzalez didn't go with Ray. Not the main reason but I think it was considered. Ray is the greatest ever at his position. There's no sharing. Thanks Ray #52

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Re: Brian Urlacher retires after 13 seasons

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    There's no sharing. Ray will hold the spotlight. Personally I think Ray is 1 of the reasons Gonzalez didn't go with Ray. Not the main reason but I think it was considered. Ray is the greatest ever at his position. There's no sharing. Thanks Ray #52

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    My thoughts exactly. Urlacher in his prime was very very good. Ray was legendary. Period.

But you know there will be that one voice or two in the wild that will make the case (rather TRY to make the case) that Urlacher >>> Ray. There's always a mediot or two that has to play the contrary side. My guess is that Skip B will start off the nonsense today on 1st Take.

Y'all can posts threads like this in the main room until the season starts again.

Moved to main forum ....

Blog Entries

Urlacher was looking for one last gig, kinda like what Ed Reed got. He got no nibbles at his bait, and decided to retire (since he had no other alternative ?). While he will go to the HOF, in 30 years people will ask, "Who's he?" Meanwhile, nobody will inquire about Ray Lewis' status... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Personally, I don't think he's a lock for first ballot and the fact Ray is going be there only pushes his chances that much further down.

Urlacher was on NFLN this morning and he was quick to say that, in his opinion, Ray is the GOAT and he'd gladly play second fiddle to him if they both get inducted at the same time.

Blog Entries

Ive always thought Urlacher was one of the better of all time. Frankly I think he brought abilities to the position that werent really seen before being a converted SS. He'll rightfully be a HoF'er.

I feel some dislike him solely because hes the other guy thats in the conversation as best MLB of the era. I dont think hes Ray by any means, but ive always thought he was rightfully in that conversation. to me he has been the 2nd best MLB of their era. Even he wouldnt say hes better.

“If I am lucky enough to go in [to Canton] with Ray, I will say this: I think I am pretty good, but Ray is the best of all time,” Urlacher said on NFL Total Access.

Urlacher not only ranks Lewis above himself, but above many of the other top middle linebackers in NFL history, including Chuck Bednarik, Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Sam Huff, Jack Lambert, Willie Lanier and Ray Nitschke.

“His numbers, to the guys that played with him, he did it the right way,” Urlacher said. “He played hard. He is the best middle linebacker of all time. If I get a chance to go into the Hall of Fame with him, that would be awesome. I am up there I think, but not quite. The longevity he had was crazy, 17 years.”
    I think thats a classy move and admitting the spotlight will not be on him. cheers to a great career.
    -JAB

I always thought of Urlacher as a player that got more attention than ability. Of course he has the #s that support him being a really good player, but my lasting image of him has always being run over by Jerome Bettis at the goal line in that game against the Steelers some years back. That happened in Urlacher's prime too and I just feel that he had been helped by the media all those years to fill their "Monsters of the Midway" quota in Chicago.

I personally don't think the media cared who manned that position as long as he was above average and looked like a football player. To me he just looked like a "marketable" face in a major market city devoid of present day football heroes. I'm not trying to go against the grain at all, I just didn't see the big whoop. I'm prepared to be disagreed with.

When i read that from Urlacher on what he said about Lewis being the best at that position actually made me like this guy more. From what I hear he does a ton in the community. i don't know if the Bears fans would have been happy to hear him say Lewis was the best of all time considering the whole Dick Butkus debate...

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I always thought of Urlacher as a player that got more attention than ability. Of course he has the #s that support him being a really good player, but my lasting image of him has always being run over by Jerome Bettis at the goal line in that game against the Steelers some years back. That happened in Urlacher's prime too and I just feel that he had been helped by the media all those years to fill their "Monsters of the Midway" quota in Chicago.

I personally don't think the media cared who manned that position as long as he was above average and looked like a football player. To me he just looked like a "marketable" face in a major market city devoid of present day football heroes. I'm not trying to go against the grain at all, I just didn't see the big whoop. I'm prepared to be disagreed with.
    I am in agreement with you. I always felt like he was overhyped a good bit. He was a solid player, but he guessed A LOT, and I watched him with an open mind.