Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 394041

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Also lost the best fullback in the game and counting on rookies to replace two of the greatest Raven defenders ever. There are some areas that can be scrutinized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well I mean sure the greatest fullback in the game...that only played 50% of snaps. You could see the transitions of the offence from a power game to an ace back, but yes that is true.

But remember last year. We had questions at LT, DL depth, Would Upshaw/Kruger be enough, what's happening in the secondary outside Webb. I feel like we have a lot less questions (especially on defence)
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It's pretty hard for any receiver to be utilized properly when one QB transfers, three more go down with ACL tears, one has a foot injury end his season, so a scout team linebacker & true freshman ends up the guy throwing you the ball.
    I definitely agree. Even the year before though when they had O'Brien...they didn't use Furstenburg nearly enough. They used him as a blocker, but if that guy was on a better offense, he probably would have been one of the better TEs in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    He absolutely doesn't get credit for the passes, the general consensus amongst fans and media is that Joe's success was mostly due to him being "bailed" by Q and Torrey; Jump Ball Joe they call him. :grbac:
    Great point. Good QBs can make receivers look a lot better than what they may be. Still though, Q made some incredible plays in the playoffs. I think Pitta is going to be the recipient of a lot of those "Q" passes though. Pitta could crack 800 yards and 10 TDs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    IMO much of the skepticism over the Boldin-less Ravens is less about catch numbers than about who's going to step up now. I look at the Gil Brandt quote in wicked's sig----& I think that might apply to WRs as well.

In the playoffs Q went up & made the tough catches to put points on the board & keep drives moving. Doss--the most obvious candidate to take his place--muffed a couple of tough catches. Not routine catches--but still, someone has to step up, & as of the moment the jury is out on who might, or even if there's anyone on the roster who could.

I feel strongly that one or more of the "kids" is going to step up & the offense will ignite, but I wear ultraviolet specs--& I can't fault the pundits for their skepticism. At least not unless & until they start ignoring evidence to the contrary.
    Good point Loba. I definitely agree and am hopeful that someone out of the Doss/Thompson/Reed/Jacoby cluster steps up big time and has a 40-50 reception season.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Well I mean sure the greatest fullback in the game...that only played 50% of snaps. You could see the transitions of the offence from a power game to an ace back, but yes that is true.

But remember last year. We had questions at LT, DL depth, Would Upshaw/Kruger be enough, what's happening in the secondary outside Webb. I feel like we have a lot less questions (especially on defence)

Losing Leach is certainly going to hurt.

What folks need to realize though is that while Leach was a great lead blocker, he limited the offense. KJ may never be as good of a run blocker as Leach was, but KJ is built like a TE with TE moves, quickness, and receiving ability. Even with KJ in the backfield as the lead blocker, defenses are going to have to keep on their toes because that guy can run for being a 6'2" 240lb player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    KJ is built like a TE with TE moves, quickness, and receiving ability. Even with KJ in the backfield as the lead blocker, defenses are going to have to keep on their toes because that guy can run for being a 6'2" 240lb player.

Yep. which brings up the questions of the "sugar" huddle
    From what I read last year, Joe really liked it.
    Cam didn't appreciate the control loss
    And now we have Caldwell, implementing his stamp on things.
    Do we see things in the pre-season?
    Are they kept under wraps for when things really count?

You have mentioned the versatility of KJ vs Leach... I'm thinking we may not really see it unveiled until serious game-planning.... but I don't know, maybe we get surprised in the pre-season and see some things.

Leach gone is going to hurt more because the D is not going to be hurt as much, loved the SB pancake clip where Willis was just babbling things afterwards, that is the biggest thing we will really miss, hopefully the ability to surgically carve up a D more than compensates.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    You have mentioned the versatility of KJ vs Leach... I'm thinking we may not really see it unveiled until serious game-planning.... but I don't know, maybe we get surprised in the pre-season and see some things.
    Juszczyk's real value to this offense is sowing uncertainty in the opposing D, as the credible receiving threat that Leach never quite became as well as a decent lead blocker & maybe even short-yardage back. My scientific-wild-arsed guess is that they'll use(check) him during preseason in ways that will showcase his abilities but not give away much in the way of strategy. I expect to see Kyle blocking, catching & running (I bet they get him some carries to make him the complete FB) but in vanilla formations & schemes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Yep. which brings up the questions of the "sugar" huddle
    From what I read last year, Joe really liked it.
    Cam didn't appreciate the control loss
    And now we have Caldwell, implementing his stamp on things.
    Do we see things in the pre-season?
    Are they kept under wraps for when things really count?

Leach gone is going to hurt more because the D is not going to be hurt as much, loved the SB pancake clip where Willis was just babbling things afterwards, that is the biggest thing we will really miss, hopefully the ability to surgically carve up a D more than compensates.
    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Juszczyk's real value to this offense is sowing uncertainty in the opposing D, as the credible receiving threat that Leach never quite became as well as a decent lead blocker & maybe even short-yardage back. My scientific-wild-arsed guess is that they'll use(check) him during preseason in ways that will showcase his abilities but not give away much in the way of strategy. I expect to see Kyle blocking, catching & running (I bet they get him some carries to make him the complete FB) but in vanilla formations & schemes.
    :word

I really don't think losing Leach will hurt us all that much. Not only was he used less than 50% of the time but I think Rice and Pierce are both the type of backs who would do better without a FB in front of them.

Also, like people have said Leach offered little outside of lead blocking. With Juice we could come out with Rice, Juszczyk, Pitta, Dickson, and Torrey, and just as easily be running a short yardage goal-line type formation, or 5 wides. That will make the defenses jobs considerably harder than it was with Leach and give us limitless options without allowing the defense to substitute when running the no-huddle.

New players will have an advantage early in the season if they are more then a defensive player thinks they are. All defenses knew Leach was a force coming out of the backfield. Ravens new FB could easily put a hurting on a defensive player and make a big difference. Under estimating a rookie would be embarrassing to say the least. Getting knocked out of a game by a rookie makes the highlights reel. Ravens have new players who will be given a chance to become part of the new Ravens Dynasty being led by Joe Flacco.. Harbaugh has to be chopping at the bit for the season to start

Blog Entries

If the Ravens come into a situation where they want to pound the rock and control the clock in the fourth quarter, they will certainly miss the presence of Leach.

Which means they'll just have to keep their foot on the ol' throat hey? ;)
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore