Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Do the Ravens need another "Ray Lewis"...

...to step up as the new leader of the team? It seems to me that the Ravens are a team who live and breathe the emotion that a dynamic player can harness as an asset. I just wonder if the team changes this season and in the following years since Lewis has been such a dominant personality for the entire franchise for so long. And that change may not necessarily be negative or positive, just that we've watched Ray Lewis and the Ravens since the 1990's, and now things are different, to an extent.

I'm seeing a lot written about the new draftees, and how they look to be starters sooner than later. Does a guy like Elam become the next Reed and establish himself as the face of the defense, and maybe the team?

I read about Dumervil, and as a respected vet, does he come in and establish himself as one of the leaders?

I'm wondering if there will be a core of veterans who act as the new leaders, or does a guy like Suggs take on the role, or perhaps someone on the offense? I don't see Flacco in the emotional role ala Ray.

I think that to be successful, there probably needs to be a sorting out of the Ravens "food chain" as far as team leadership. Just wondering if others feel this way, or do you think new "leadership" is not a key?

Blog Entries

Re: Do the Ravens need another "Ray Lewis"...

it's not going to be one guy. it'll be a collection of guys who can each reach different personalities with different management techniques.

NFL.com had a video asking who would be "the guy to lead the pregame chant" and talked about not thinking Flacco can do the What Time Is It? chant...they are right. That chant is Ray's thing. It's done. What will take it place will be organic. It may take time, but new traditions will come into focus, much like Ray did organically, without it being forced on anyone.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    it's not going to be one guy. it'll be a collection of guys who can each reach different personalities with different management techniques.

NFL.com had a video asking who would be "the guy to lead the pregame chant" and talked about not thinking Flacco can do the What Time Is It? chant...they are right. That chant is Ray's thing. It's done. What will take it place will be organic. It may take time, but new traditions will come into focus, much like Ray did organically, without it being forced on anyone.
    Yea I think that's the key word. Leadership cannot be appointed or declared.

I understand the sentiment, but I'm sure the guys in the locker room aren't too worried.
    Recent SB champs PIT, IND, NO and GB had multiple leaders...none of them remotely the caliber of Ray IMO.
    We'll be fine.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Interesting subject Beau. Perhaps a look back at the Ravens leaders before Ray Lewis may provide some insight, especially to those who may have become accustomed to perennial playoff runs and division champuionships. ;)

Ravens Leadership needs to begin on Defensive side
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ibroda-defense

"The two safeties, Eric Turner and Stevon Moore, were supposed to be the cornerstones of the defense. Neither had an outstanding season.

"They didn't play like Pro Bowlers," Marchibroda said, "although our lack of a consistent [pass] rush didn't help them or anyone in the secondary."

Turner was the team's highest-paid player this season ($3.3 million), and Moore is an unrestricted free agent looking to earn at least $1 million a season. At least one of them won't be back at those prices"

Man i shudder thinking back to those times lol!

I have two concerns about "replacing Ray". Ray Lewis was probably the best on the field defensive signal caller in the league. Can Suggs, for example, do as well? The other concern is that Ray inspired other players to perform at a higher level than they would anywhere else. This phenomena has been consistantly proven over the years as seemingly average players turned in pro bowl caliber seasons with us, then went back to being average when they left the Ravens. I believe this phenomena is one of if not the main contributing factor to the continued competiveness of our young franchise year in and year out. It is the engine behind the Team's ability to produce the "Next Man Up." With Ray's retirement, we'll see if this phenomenom continues or not.

I agree that there will be multiple leaders in the coming years. There is a lot of truth to the old adage that "A player like (Ray Lewis) only comes around once every 30 years or so." I am sure that Coach Harbaugh will put the emphasis on "TEAM" first and the let the individual leaders rise to the top.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It'll be a collection of guys who can each reach different personalities with different management techniques.

NFL.com had a video asking who would be "the guy to lead the pregame chant" and talked about not thinking Flacco can do the What Time Is It? chant...they are right. That chant is Ray's thing. It's done. What will take it place will be organic. .
    It can't be voted on like a team captain. Ray's leadership grew naturally from his play on the field and game prep work ethic.

BTW it also carried the stigma of Atlanta to most fans outside Baltimore who don't know about what he did for folks and accomplished off the field. I, for one, won't miss that part of the Ray Lewis Phenomenon. We know his "tragic flaw" made him a different and better man, which was a key part of his ability to lead the team, not a career-defining event and stain that must never be forgotten, as the casual and/or non Ravens-supporting NFL fan will maintain forever.

Team leadership will be a collective effort from Suggsy (a court jester who good naturedly confronts uncomfortable facts and haters), and Flacco (the unflappable, anti-egoist playmaker), and Rice (the smiling pint-sized perpetual motion machine who is out front in positive causes like stopping bullying), and Jacoby (playmaker and more comic relief), and Webb (keeper of the Ed Reed flame), and Tucker (a clutch foot wrapped in surf bro' cool) and... don't make me list them all. In a way, a blessing of Ray's departure will be the emergence of all these [potentially 53] team co-leaders.

They'll be fine. Art Donovan can do the Chant...

Every team needs a leader/leaders. I think there are many styles and roles that many people can fill. I honestly think the team could almost be segmentalized with a leader at different positions/groups... (i.e. and O line leader, D line leader, etc, etc). Even an energetic, smart, and vocal coach to bring those leaders together can be effective. And we have that.

I'll say this much though.... while it has been great having Ray over the years, 15 other leaders and/or 15 other middle linebackers won the Super Bowl out of the 17 years he played.

Blog Entries

Nice link, thanks

The Ravens simply didn't get enough pressure or overall production from their linebackers, period. Ray Lewis survived as a rookie in the middle, but the team tried to fill in the other spots inexpensively with Mike Croel, Mike Caldwell, Keith Goganious and Jerrol Williams, and they got what they paid for.
    Phewwww, forgot just how much rebuilding Oz (as director of player presonell until elevated to GM) did.... Anyone know who had GM title until Ozzie got it? Anyway, next year came Boulware.

and it sure was nice reading Eisenberg in the old Sun
    Ray Lewis is one. He made his share of mistakes this season, but that was expected of a rookie in such a demanding position. He should get stronger in the off-season and begin to assert himself as a leader.

"He has real leadership qualities," Marchibroda said. "It's hard to be a leader as a rookie."

Lewis said yesterday, "You'll see it [leadership] more in the future."
    Yep that was as accurate as all-getout
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    "Flacco will lead like he's always led. Through example and through his confident play. The Ravens don't win the Super Bowl four months ago without Flacco assuming a leadership role. After the San Francisco 49ers had pulled within two points, Flacco called an audible for a pass play with less than eight minutes to play that was beyond risky. Flacco then threw a beautiful back-shoulder pass to Boldin, which set up a much-needed field goal."

"Emotional rants often leads to more face time in national television. It's the type of take-charge attitude that Flacco showed in that critical situation that leads to championships."

"I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    "Flacco will lead like he's always led. Through example and through his confident play. The Ravens don't win the Super Bowl four months ago without Flacco assuming a leadership role. After the San Francisco 49ers had pulled within two points, Flacco called an audible for a pass play with less than eight minutes to play that was beyond risky. Flacco then threw a beautiful back-shoulder pass to Boldin, which set up a much-needed field goal."

"Emotional rants often leads to more face time in national television. It's the type of take-charge attitude that Flacco showed in that critical situation that leads to championships."

When Ray Lewis looks at that call and says "Wow, that's a bold ass statement", that's when you know Joe was putting on the man boots and throwing the training shoes away.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...d-f00c3d54c77f

Looks like no one gets his locker!
    Boarded up!
    Interesting.....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!