Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

I've seen a bunch of guys over the years. Maybe I'll smile at them if I catch their eye, but I just keep on walking and leave them alone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iscull View Post
    i'm sorry but judging a guy based on the few times you saw him sign or not sign autographs is ridiculous. I went to the camp in mcdaniel when they had it, and i got joe's autograph.
    horray!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    I've seen a bunch of guys over the years. Maybe I'll smile at them if I catch their eye, but I just keep on walking and leave them alone.
    Ever meet any?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    horray!
    Then again, I also was under the age of 18...

The good:

Ran into a few former players in New Orleans this year. Coach Ron Rivera was down at the French Market walking around. He seemed kind of surprised that I recognized him. He came over to me and talked for a little while. He commented on how "you guys are doing it right" talking about the crawfish and oysters. I asked him if he would like some and he politely declined. Very nice guy.

I saw Jamal Lewis on a plane years ago('04ish). It was an AirTran flight to Atlanta. I was sitting on the isle and he was the last to board. He went walking by me looking for overhead storage. I was impressed with how wide he was. He filled the isle just with his thighs, and his shoulders were even wider. When he went by me, I quietly said "Jaaaamaaaal" and he said " Whatzup?" And nodded and smiled.

The bad: neither were players, but still associated with the team.

Sat next to Mike Preston on the flight to Green Bay (actually Milwaukee) for the Monday night game in '09. It was during his controversial stance that people were clambering for Kruger to play because he was white. I vehemently disagreed with him and we discussed it at length.

Ran into Michael Phelps in a bar in the French Quarter in New Orleans the day before the game. He was a HUGE douche bag. In fact, he was such a douche in my opinion, they should rename douche bags Phelps'.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    The good:

Ran into a few former players in New Orleans this year. Coach Ron Rivera was down at the French Market walking around. He seemed kind of surprised that I recognized him. He came over to me and talked for a little while. He commented on how "you guys are doing it right" talking about the crawfish and oysters. I asked him if he would like some and he politely declined. Very nice guy.

I saw Jamal Lewis on a plane years ago('04ish). It was an AirTran flight to Atlanta. I was sitting on the isle and he was the last to board. He went walking by me looking for overhead storage. I was impressed with how wide he was. He filled the isle just with his thighs, and his shoulders were even wider. When he went by me, I quietly said "Jaaaamaaaal" and he said " Whatzup?" And nodded and smiled.

The bad: neither were players, but still associated with the team.

Sat next to Mike Preston on the flight to Green Bay (actually Milwaukee) for the Monday night game in '09. It was during his controversial stance that people were clambering for Kruger to play because he was white. I vehemently disagreed with him and we discussed it at length.

Ran into Michael Phelps in a bar in the French Quarter in New Orleans the day before the game. He was a HUGE douche bag. In fact, he was such a douche in my opinion, they should rename douche bags Phelps'.
    Did you meet Phelps or just see him from afar? I'd like to know more about your interactions with Mike though.

Met Ed Reed in Atanta when he was having his first bout with hip problems. A co-worker and I were sitting at the bar at Ruth's Chris in Buckhead. I kept looking at him, it didn't register who he was and he gave me this look like "WTF are you staring at?".

Thankfully, I recognized him, said I was a big fan and apologized for interrupting his dinner. He gave us a nod, said "no problem" and went back eating. Once he was done eating, he said a few words to us, thanked us for being fans and rolled out. He only left a meager tip though. We added $20 to it but the bartender said that was his MO, suggesting he's in their often.

I have a Phelps story as well. Total douchebag is accurate. On more than one occasion, I've seen him out and about in Fells (when he used to have a house there), hammered beyond all recognition and acting like an ass. I know for a fact he was banned at one time from Alexander's and I've heard he's not allowed in Max's either.

Blog Entries

They can re-name bongs after him too.

http://www.google.com/search?q=photo...iw=658&bih=301

He was picked up on DUI. He was on 60 MIns and I didn't like the way he looked. That was one of those huge million dollar condos on the water in Fells that he lived in. They showed it. It was huge.

A lot of players don't like to be disturbed while eating and that was true with Unitas. He
    was eating alone at Tolgate Junction in Bel Air. I was the only one over 30 and knew who he
    was. He gave me his autograph. My mom thought he looked like a lonely old man. I had some quesitons to ask him but he kept playing with two little kids sitting behind him. Their parents didn't know who he was. He gave me his autograph while never looking at me. I said thanks and walked away. Then everyone in the place went over for autographs. Guys went out to their cars to get hats and what not. He must have been pissed. Someone in the Nests said John doesn't like to be disturbed at dinner. I didn't know.

Like I said he never looked at me but during the season I was sitting 3 rows behind the
    Ravens bench with my gal and Unitas walked up with his gorgeous daughter. He used
    to stand on the side lines. Everyone is yelling JOhn, JOhn and going nuts and he waived
    to everyone and came over to me and yelled, you're the guy from Bel Air and I shook
    his hand.

Remarkable. I though he never looked at me.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-21-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have a Phelps story as well. Total douchebag is accurate. On more than one occasion, I've seen him out and about in Fells (when he used to have a house there), hammered beyond all recognition and acting like an ass. I know for a fact he was banned at one time from Alexander's and I've heard he's not allowed in Max's either.
    I don't think Phelps has ever grown up. He was very sheltered, and focused on only one thing. Too bad. But he's great with kids; I've seen him sign for hundreds of kids after a clinic, and talk to every single one of them.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I don't think Phelps has ever grown up. He was very sheltered, and focused on only one thing. Too bad. But he's great with kids; I've seen him sign for hundreds of kids after a clinic, and talk to every single one of them.
    I've never met Phelps personally but a good friend of mine's sister was in his class at Towson High and graduated with him and says he was a total douche/prick. I dismissed it because a lot of the popular jocks in high school were pricks but too many recent stories about him indicate he never grew out of it.

I met Paul Kruger last year and Art Jones this year at the MD SPCA March for the Animals and both were pretty friendly and took a picture with me. I did just see Michael Huff this past Friday outside Pickle's Pub just before the O's game. I saw this jacked dude in an O's Markakis jersey walk by and he had an O's hat with "M. Huff" on the side and about 3 other jacked dudes with him. Didn't occur to me until he had already walked by that it was him and his Twitter feed confirmed it. Apparently one of the other guys with him is a cornerback with the Bills. He seemed like he was just taking the whole scene in - the crowd was huge.

EDIT: Aaron Williams is the Bills' CB who was at the O's game with Huff on Friday.
    Last edited by Losac; 05-21-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    Ever meet any?
    Meet? Well I work in a hospital, so that would be violation of patient confidentiality and inappropriate. And then there was this one time when I was kid I waited in line at a shopping mall for the Detroit Tigers 1st Baseman to show up for an autograph signing for kids. He was a no-show. I was too young to realize what we meant to the guy and too young to hear the news about how he was pulled over for drunk driving on the way...

Anyhow, the rules at the hospital made me rethink my intentions everywhere outside of the hospital about personal space, etc. Who knows where and what they are doing or what is going on in their life day-to-day? I sure as hell don't like talking to random people I don't know on the street. So unless I'm sitting at a bar and they initiate conversation, I shut the hell up a mind my own business.

I'm excited for my son to get excited by meeting Ravens players and getting autographs at camp and other events like that. And some guys seem to be great guys, all around... i.e Ray Rice and some others. But personally I would never invade their privacy anywhere outside of an event where they are expected to interact with fans. I see them as humans, not my friends... not even people I remotely know. I leave them alone and I would never expect them to be nice or respond to me on the street.

On Phelps, he was at a bar the day before the superbowl, he was seated at a table with 4 other guys. They weren't eating. Hey had a few drinks at the table. They all were lean looking guys, one was in his 60's probably all swimmers, they had that body type. There were 30+ people in the bar with Ravens gear on and Phelps had on his Orioles stuff. I was taking pictures of cool things with my phone and posting them on facebook. I was 10-15 ft away and did not approach them as I wanted to be respectful and ask if it was alright if I took his picture. The guy sitting to his right saw me with my phone out and made eye contact with me. I mouthed the words "Can I take Mike's picture?" While holding up my phone and wiggling it. They guy made a motion indicating for me to hold on then held his finger up like wait 1 minute. So I mouthed OK. Then Phelps looked leaned around the guy, looked at me and I mouthedthe words and wiggled the phone at him, and he made this face like he he smelled dog shit, said NO!!! and then took both of his hands and sheilded his face from me. I was kind of annoyed but what the heck. I asked and he said no. No biggie, so there was a guy in our group that is an Alumni of Hokins. He had some Hopkins Alumni gear on. I told him what just happened and he said "I bet I can get him to take a picture with me." I told him "Phelps wouldn't even let me take his picture from 10-15 feet way, no way is he going to let you get a picture standing next to him". So he waits for them to stand up and getreadyto leave the bar and proceeds to go over to him, and tell him, he's an Alum, and would Mike mind taking a picture with him and Phelps, of course, makes that same "I smell dog shit" face, said no and then left the bar.

My take on it is this, he's in New Orleans during Superbowl. He's out in public in Baltimore gear with a bunch of Baltimore fans. You think you aren't going to be recognized? He has access to all the private roped off parties going on. He can go places all of us schmoes can't but comes out and rubs elbows with the rest of us and then cops an attitude about a couple of picture requests? Effe him. Douche.