Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    On Phelps, he was at a bar the day before the superbowl, he was seated at a table with 4 other guys. They weren't eating. Hey had a few drinks at the table. They all were lean looking guys, one was in his 60's probably all swimmers, they had that body type. There were 30+ people in the bar with Ravens gear on and Phelps had on his Orioles stuff. I was taking pictures of cool things with my phone and posting them on facebook. I was 10-15 ft away and did not approach them as I wanted to be respectful and ask if it was alright if I took his picture. The guy sitting to his right saw me with my phone out and made eye contact with me. I mouthed the words "Can I take Mike's picture?" While holding up my phone and wiggling it. They guy made a motion indicating for me to hold on then held his finger up like wait 1 minute. So I mouthed OK. Then Phelps looked leaned around the guy, looked at me and I mouthedthe words and wiggled the phone at him, and he made this face like he he smelled dog shit, said NO!!! and then took both of his hands and sheilded his face from me. I was kind of annoyed but what the heck. I asked and he said no. No biggie, so there was a guy in our group that is an Alumni of Hokins. He had some Hopkins Alumni gear on. I told him what just happened and he said "I bet I can get him to take a picture with me." I told him "Phelps wouldn't even let me take his picture from 10-15 feet way, no way is he going to let you get a picture standing next to him". So he waits for them to stand up and getreadyto leave the bar and proceeds to go over to him, and tell him, he's an Alum, and would Mike mind taking a picture with him and Phelps, of course, makes that same "I smell dog shit" face, said no and then left the bar.

My take on it is this, he's in New Orleans during Superbowl. He's out in public in Baltimore gear with a bunch of Baltimore fans. You think you aren't going to be recognized? He has access to all the private roped off parties going on. He can go places all of us schmoes can't but comes out and rubs elbows with the rest of us and then cops an attitude about a couple of picture requests? Effe him. Douche.

Great story, man. Thanks.

It reminds me of seeing Tom Matte at Memorial Stadium at an O's
    game with his son. He was sitting behind home plate. I asked if
    I could take his pic and he said sure.

One of the coolest pros to play in Bmore this side of Fatso.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Nothing specific, but I've heard several guys who only try to get autographs to make a profit.

Wasnt there an issue last year or the year before where grown men were pushing kids aside for autographs?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I I were famous enough for my autograph o be coveted, I would ONLY sign personalized, and in a way that ruined commercial value. On a football type item, where it can not be seperated, i would only sign it "to someone" and on a piece of paper type item, I would make sure my personalization was "embedded" in a way that my autograph could not be removed fromt eh personalization.

Forgot to mention, I took a picture of the chair he was sitting in, and posted the story on facebook.

Anyone ever meet any NBA or NHL players of famous actors?

It's funny how sometimes things line up perfect for you to tell a story...

This past weekend my band played a show at the Flying Dog Brewery in Frederick, MD. They have a 'artist spotlight' feature where some local artist comes in and displays their work. People pay five bucks, get some tasty beers, and hear some live music. This weekend's artist was Chris Cooley.

Chris (as he introduced himself as) was humble, funny, and pleasant to hang out with. His wife was there, and the both of them couldn't have been any nicer. The event sold out (go figure) and some friends of mine arrived from western MD but weren't admitted to the event. She overheard them griping about it outside and went and sorted the problem out. Too cool. I'm not holding my breath, but Cooley wanted to know where we were playing next so he could come check us out again.

A few years ago I went to Baltimore in the offseason to attend the first annual Baltimore Tattoo Convention, and ran into Kelly Gregg in a parking lot. He was with his family, and was grinning from ear to ear as I 'lost my shit' shaking his hand and telling him what a big fan I was. His wife was like "you made his day. No one ever recognizes him!"

Blog Entries

I took a piss next to Cal Ripken...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I took a piss next to Cal Ripken...
    I've met Cal on a couple of occasions. Nice guy, but understandably a bit guarded. I also was fortunate enough to cross paths with Mike Bordick several times. Really down to earth guy. Kids would come up to him while we were just chatting it up and he would sign autographs in the most polite way. He made all those kids feel pretty special.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I've met Cal on a couple of occasions. Nice guy, but understandably a bit guarded. I also was fortunate enough to cross paths with Mike Bordick several times. Really down to earth guy. Kids would come up to him while we were just chatting it up and he would sign autographs in the most polite way. He made all those kids feel pretty special.
    Just saw Cal's daughter at the gym I belong to in Harford County. She's
    an arobics instructor there and gorgeous like her mom. She's very
    friendly and just smiled at me. Unlike with the chick in the pic I just said hi and kept
    on going. Didn't want Cal kicking my ass.

Cal met his wife when her mother saw Cal at a restaurant or some place and asked for
    his autograph and said it was for her daugher. He said if she looks anything like you I want to meet her or words to that effect and she set them up and they got married.

True!
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-21-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Met Tony Kukoc in Atlanta in 1996 during the Olympics, he was at a bar called Lou Lou's bait shack. He was talking to girls and the guy I was with, (a Delaware Grad) was the best guy at picking up women I have ever seen. He started talking with Kukoc and Kucoc tried to blow him off. This guy was very quick witted and proceeded to verbally destroy Tony and the girls were laughing at him. You're no Scotty Pipen, stuff like that.Tony looked a little dejected but laughed and took it well.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    Anyone ever meet any NBA or NHL players of famous actors?
    I used to go to Chris Webber's parties when he was a Bullet/Wizard.

The dude was always high on weed but his parties were lights out because of the 12's that used to frequent his functions. Chris really didn't want to be bothered to the point that one party I went to he was approached by my buddy's GF who is drop dead gorgeous. She only wanted to meet and greet him but Chris could care less. As she started to get agitated she began to taunt Webber. Thankfully Chris was so high that he simply ignored her.

I'm thinking to myself how the fuck would we have dealt with him if he became aggressive because this was a big dude. Rasheed Wallace was at the same party along with Joe Smith. Both were cool but larger than life.

People talk crap all the time about these type of athlete's but don't realize how much they dwarf you and if they felt like it could probably put your lights out.

I also met Gheorge Muresan who is the biggest human being I have ever seen.

Saw LeBron in New Orleans at Essence Fest. He looks lean on TV but is massive and could easily be around 260lbs+.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    I used to go to Chris Webber's parties when he was a Bullet/Wizard.

The dude was always high on weed but his parties were lights out because of the 12's that used to frequent his functions. Chris really didn't want to be bothered to the point that one party I went to he was approached by my buddy's GF who is drop dead gorgeous. She only wanted to meet and greet him but Chris could care less. As she started to get agitated she began to taunt Webber. Thankfully Chris was so high that he simply ignored her.

I'm thinking to myself how the fuck would we have dealt with him if he became aggressive because this was a big dude. Rasheed Wallace was at the same party along with Joe Smith. Both were cool but larger than life.

People talk crap all the time about these type of athlete's but don't realize how much they dwarf you and if they felt like it could probably put your lights out.

I also met Gheorge Muresan who is the biggest human being I have ever seen.

Saw LeBron in New Orleans at Essence Fest. He looks lean on TV but is massive and could easily be around 260lbs+.
    Webber used to swing by one of my friends house to knock boots with his mother lol.

He always seemed cool to us and we got a lot of free Bullets stuff, but understandably was pretty distant considering he only showed up to get some from my friends mom lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Webber used to swing by one of my friends house to knock boots with his mother lol.

He always seemed cool to us and we got a lot of free Bullets stuff, but understandably was pretty distant considering he only showed up to get some from my friends mom lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    lol. when did this go on?