Migration to Texas Keeps Going ... Anecdotally Speaking

I have one, not two, not three .... but five friends leaving Maryland for Texas in the next 6-8 months.

Number one reason? Taxes.
    Number two reason? Housing prices.
    Number three reason? Crime.

Blog Entries

Re: Migration to Texas Keeps Going ... Anecdotally Speaking

I would love to do it some day. For the first two reasons at least and a 3rd of if shit ever went sideways in the country I'd like to be were the largest population of like-minded people would be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have one, not two, not three .... but five friends leaving Maryland for Texas in the next 6-8 months.

I just sold my house quick because I under-priced it by $30,000. A young couple trying
    to move to Bel Air bought it. They were born and raised here and wanted a home but
    this was the first house they could afford. I had a 4 BR house and a 3 BR priced more
    than mine is still for sale and has been for months.

Sold the house in 1 day.

I'd watch out for the border states. Their politics are great now. But the illegal immigration epidemic that the northern states turn a blind eye on will probably eventually make them pretty unlivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I'd watch out for the border states. Their politics are great now. But the illegal immigration epidemic that the northern states turn a blind eye on will probably eventually make them pretty unlivable.
    In states that promote / subsidize their activity, yes. California is the perfect example.

Texas doesn't have the drain on public services that CA has right now specifically because they have to earn their right to many things here.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Man, if I didn't have family stuff that always seems to pop up when I'm ready to bolt, I would have been in Houston 10 years ago lol.

Maryland sucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    My wife actually turned down a good job in Houston 2 years ago. No idea what I would have done job wise...

She didnt really like Houston when the company flew her down there for a weekend visit. She is very close to her family, which is in NJ...so that keeps us here. Otherwise, I would have been pushing for a move somewhere away from DC.

Problem - for me at least - is what I do is predominately centric to the DC metro area. Bummer.

I see what we just paid for a house in Frederick County, MD and then I see how much we could have gotten for the same price in Texas, Colorado, etc.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Good topic for discussion.

Been here in MD. all my life, but have come to the realization that we (wife and I ) will never be able to afford to retire here.

We've been looking at South Carolina, a place called Conaway to be specific.

About a half hour inlet from Myrtle beach.

Houses are very reasonably priced, has fairly good weather year round (winters aren't brutally cold and rarely get snow).

Not alot of money down there, but you don't really need it due to the cost of living being much, much cheaper.

Hopefully we'll be executing this plan in about 2 years once our daughter graduates high school.

Don't need to be rich in my rapidly approaching old age, just need to be able to live and stop working as the physical toll my body has sustained from what I do is reaping havoc on my body.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Blog Entries

I've been retired here for 8 years now and loving it. I just can't see leaving MD as much as I
    hate the taxes. I cringe for when these OBUMMER CARE taxes, taxes to pay for the debt
    and O GUV'S RAIN TAX kick in.

Thing that worries me the most is assistive living care when I need it. My mom is paying
    $4,000 pr mo and that's cheap. High end places like Oak Crest and Lorien charge from
    $7,000 to $9,000 pr mo for assistive living and it's even higher in Philly where my
    brother's father in law lives. He just moved in with them. Just think what it will be when
    you guys need it. The southwest and southeast are definitely cheaper for that.

Bottom line for me is I probably won't make it anyway with my lungs so I'm enjoying things
    now. When it's time I'll just crawl into the ocean and sleep with the fishes. Just got back from Ft Lauderdale and planning to go to OC to see the Ravens.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-07-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    When it's time I'll just crawl into the ocean and sleep with the fishes.
    And after Maryland has done so much to remove pollution from the Inner Harbor.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Not to mention the air and food, especially McNuggetts that Flacco loves so much.

:grbac:

I would love to move to Texas, Houston or Austin areas. But with my current line of work, I can only find jobs overseas (where I am now) or in the D.C. area.

There just isn't any command centers outside of the east coast.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller