Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 Mock Draft thread

Ha ha! Well given discussions elsewhere on on this board about what the team still needs to do it is interesting to see what others think too. So here's a couple of mocks and what the mockers think of the Ravens. Note- in no way is this a real prediction. Hopefully everyone here realises this.

1. Mocking the draft's Dan Kadar. One of the top mockers year in and year out he gives us this guy with the 26th pick:

26. Baltimore Ravens: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee

The Ravens didn't take an offensive tackle until the fifth round this year, and it's hard to see a scenario where Ricky Wagner is the future at right tackle. Jah Reid is decent, but he shouldn't stop Baltimore from taking a power blocker like Richardson. He can play the left or right side.

2. Staying with Mocking the draft, one sees the not quite as good Matthew Fairburn has a Mock without any commentary. He gives us Sammy Watkins, WR out of Clemson.

3. Moving to Walter football, Walter gives us this with the 14th pick:

Baltimore Ravens: Stephon Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame

I slotted the Ravens here in my power rankings before they signed Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff. I guess I should have had more faith in Ozzie Newsome.

Newsome signed Chris Canty and Marcus Spears this offseason, but there's no guarantee both of them will hold up, given that they're both 30. Also, Arthur Jones is set to hit free agency next March, so Baltimore could be looking for some more defensive line help.

4. Walter's sidekick, Charlie Campbell does this for the Ravens:

Baltimore Ravens: Deshazor Everett, CB, Texas A&M
    The Ravens got a nice value pick with late-rounder Marc Anthony, but Baltimore could use more help at corner.

The Aggies had a lot of breakout players in 2012, and Everett was one that fell under the radar. He had an excellent sophomore season with 56 tackles, two interceptions and seven passes broken up. Everett (6-0, 181) has good length, speed and athletic ability. He stood out on special teams as a freshman.

5. Next NEpatriotsdraft.com's James Christensen, a good mocker gives us this with the 32nd pick:

32. Baltimore Ravens
    Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
    Archer was the most dynamic runner I watched in 2012 – give him the ball on returns or out of the backfield and let him find his way to the end-zone.

Wow. Don't see a RB in round 1 but it is nice to se someone give the team a little respect with the 32nd pick.

So there you go. As I said above these mocks more reflect what the mockers think the team is at right now as opposed to what might happen 12 months from now. And the results are all over the place. Mockers aren't zeroing in on the hole at LT-even Kadar's tackle pick is for RT-and he notes that in his opinion Ricky Wagner is not the solution for the Ravens at RT, unlike what many people here are hoping. Note too that two of the mockers went defense, which is important as as a group we fans tend to want offensive skill positions first and second.

All of these picks could potentially be plausible except for the RB.

Blog Entries

Re: 2014 Mock Draft thread

People are idiots.

A RB in round 1? Come on. Both Rice and Pierce will still be under contract.

And I will NEVER understand why everyone seems to think that the Ravens need a cornerback? I mean, I think that positions like WR and Corner should be drafted every year...but why draft one in the first round when you've already got 2 or 3 (or in our case, 4) starting caliber corners? That would be a wasted pick IMO.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Definitely yes about the RB pick.

For CB though I don't think it is crazy. I agree that it is unlikely that the Ravens will have a big need at CB and possibly no need at all. But consider the following scenario with our corners:

- Jimmy Smith fails to develop. He's hurt for a few games, doesn't really develop a good rhythm. He still has that upside but it is another wasted year being a sometime starter, sometime nickel, sometime bench player: in other words not a player the team can depend on.

- Corey Graham plays very well but is a free agent and gets a big offer elsewhere. The Ravens will be in a difficult position to give a big contract to anyone next year and Graham may not be a priority. More likely than not I think.

- Chylke Brown and Asa Jackson fail to develop into reliable players. Very plausible.

- Webb fails to return to his old self after another ACL. Either that or he hurts himself again.

I say none of these happen. But the likelihood of one or two happening could get the team to look CB high in the draft. If three of them happen well yeah CB will be a big priority.

Watkins would be absurdly good value for the Ravens. Don't think there's any chance we can get him without bombing this season or trading up. Tuitt might be in a similar draft tier.

Big fan of Richardson, and actually think that's a realistic value. There could reasonably be 4-5 tackles ranked ahead of him.

Everett is a head-scratcher, and Archer is just bonkers.

Blog Entries

The 2014 draft - who is the 32nd best player? That's the guy Ozzie will choose... Bc

For folks looking to get a head start on 2014

Go here and look at the prospects position-by-position via the drop-down at the top: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/QB

And then go here and check out their stats: http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/national/index.html

From there you can rank your top 3, 5, 10 whatever. Then hit YT and search since just about all of these guys can be found in 2012 film featuring a teammate, a stud opponent, if not themselves. Of course, you can get really crazy and subscribe to the on-demand SEC network or CBS Sports on-demand, and watch full games whenever you feel like it.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    For folks looking to get a head start on 2014

Go here and look at the prospects position-by-position via the drop-down at the top: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/QB

And then go here and check out their stats: http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/national/index.html

From there you can rank your top 3, 5, 10 whatever. Then hit YT and search since just about all of these guys can be found in 2012 film featuring a teammate, a stud opponent, if not themselves. Of course, you can get really crazy and subscribe to the on-demand SEC network or CBS Sports on-demand, and watch full games whenever you feel like it.
    Definitely some good places to start. It should be noted that the cbssports link has players group by their senior class, so some of the best prospects in this draft will be under the 2015 class.

Blog Entries

Whose the WR from Texas that did some good things last year? I think he's a hometown guy, if I'm not mistaken.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Whose the WR from Texas that did some good things last year? I think he's a hometown guy, if I'm not mistaken.
    You sure it's a UT guy? I'm not aware of (nor can I find any) any that are from the area.

I REALLY like Archer, but he can't be a RB in this league. He's one of the fastest guys I've ever seen in college football and he looks like a "football player" and not a track guy playing football.

If he can make the switch to WR (and if the Kent State coaches are smart and do something that will increase his value, that's what they'll do), and he shows that he can play WR at a high level, I'd consider him depending on where I pick...probably more high/mid second round though.

I'll say this, if Kent State moves him to WR and he plays well there, and Tavon Austin becomes the player that many of us think he will, Austin will have helped Archer's value skyrocket.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I never really start researching the next draft until October, way too early for me because so much will change as always between now and next year. I will say that the next draft should be very offense happy as this years one was pretty much all defense. We probably wont have many holes on defense next year, but I can see OT and WR being the positions to address. Even if McKinnie plays well again, he's going to be 34 and will only have a year left on his contract, and Oher will be a free agent. I'm hoping Ricky Wagner shows enough and can take over from RT eventually, but we don't have anyone on the roster apart from McKinnie, who I feel can ever be a franchise LT.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    but we don't have anyone on the roster apart from McKinnie, who I feel can ever be a franchise LT.
    Just seems like you can only find your franchise LT in the draft after having a shitty season (picking in the top 5). Which Won't be happening with this team. Hopefully they develop some of these guys to take over
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB