Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Bryant McKinnie visiting the Dolphins

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I would change that to "McKinnie HAS BEEN a decent LT." The problem is we do not know for sure that what he has been is an indicator of what he will be. We don't know how he would have fared if he had played a full season last year. We don't know how he will perform if he is paid a big-money contract.

What we do know: he is an aging player; he has conditioning issues; he has motivational issues; he isn't highly valued by ANY of the 32 NFL teams; for some reason he did not play most of last season. These are all enormous red flags. Oher, for all his faults, is young with room to improve, especially if he were to actually stay in one position for awhile. Ignoring the question of who plays RT, I would be more comfortable with Oher than McKinnie at LT going into the season. And that's not to say I'd be comfortable with Oher; I just have zero trust in McKinnie.
    No team is going to pay McKinnie a big money contract at this point in his career. He started every game during the 2011 season at LT for the Ravens and was the best LT on the roster even then. The Ravens do not have a better LT option currently on their roster, and do not have the cap room to make a trade for a better LT option.

If the Ravens bring McKinnie back, it will be on a 1-2 year contract with low guaranteed money. It is shear arrogance to say that the Ravens are fine at LT with who they currently have on their roster. Flacco takes a long time to get rid of the ball with his 7 step drops, and the Ravens do not have incredible WRs. That means that for the Ravens offense to succeed, the OL has to give Flacco time to throw. Also, Gradkowski is now the Center, so if the Ravens move KO to LT, and have Jah Reid or a rookie playing LG, then that will also impact Gradkowski's play, because he will have less help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If the Ravens bring McKinnie back, it will be on a 1-2 year contract with low guaranteed money.
    And this, in a nutshell, is the holdup. We know the Big Whopper doesn't play for the love of the game but for the need of the check. And after the Ravens rather aggressively went about docking him last preseason, he has plenty of reason (at least in his own mind) to believe that he'd never see a dime from them that isn't guaranteed. So if another team offers the same guaranteed cash as the Ravens & any incentive pay at all, their offer will automatically look better than Baltimore's to him.

How you deal with that is anyone's guess. I suppose the FO would have to get creative in designing incentives that he can feel confident he can attain & that the team can't weasel out on. Specifically, something that doesn't depend on the judgement (or whim, depending on your POV) of the management. Not an assignment I'd want to take on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    And this, in a nutshell, is the holdup. We know the Big Whopper doesn't play for the love of the game but for the need of the check. And after the Ravens rather aggressively went about docking him last preseason, he has plenty of reason (at least in his own mind) to believe that he'd never see a dime from them that isn't guaranteed. So if another team offers the same guaranteed cash as the Ravens & any incentive pay at all, their offer will automatically look better than Baltimore's to him.

How you deal with that is anyone's guess. I suppose the FO would have to get creative in designing incentives that he can feel confident he can attain & that the team can't weasel out on. Specifically, something that doesn't depend on the judgement (or whim, depending on your POV) of the management. Not an assignment I'd want to take on.
    Good assessment Loba.

I definitely agree.

He may not get the big contract that he is looking for, but he would probably have a better shot at getting legitimate guaranteed money from another team like San Diego or Miami (clearly, those two teams are not afeared to shell out some money).
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Good assessment Loba.

I definitely agree.

He may not get the big contract that he is looking for, but he would probably have a better shot at getting legitimate guaranteed money & incentive money from another team like San Diego or Miami (clearly, those two teams are not afeared to shell out some money).
    FTFY.

Undeserving such praise, but I'll take it. ;)

The problem with Ravens v. McKinnie is the age-old contention between the letter of the law & its spirit. E.g., if the FO writes in a bonus for reporting by a certain date at a certain weight, it had better insert minimum conditioning & strength targets as well--otherwise they risk him goofing off until the last possible minute & then crash dieting to make the weigh-in, which technically earns him the $$$ but leaves him out of shape. (I gather last year's brouhaha over reporting late because he supposedly hurt his back was intended to account for him goofing off too long & not making weight.) Really, really hard to craft those sorts of clauses to protect the team adequately without pissing off the player royally. I wouldn't want the job--unless, to paraphrase the Big Whopper, the money is right...:D

Flacco takes a long time to get rid of the ball with his 7 step drops, and the Ravens do not have incredible WRs.
    I'm not sure which games you were watching at the end of the season, but when Caldwell took over, his drops were cut down significantly. The ball was getting out much quicker. The shortened drops were at least part of the reason for why the overall pass protection was better. When Flacco held the ball for longer, it was usually on designed play-fakes in running situations or when he had to improvise.

As Caldwell adds more wrinkles to the offense, you will see a lot more designed and timed deep shots as opposed to Cam's all or nothing approach.

Blog Entries

Flacco takes a long time to get rid of the ball with his 7 step drops, and the Ravens do not have incredible WRs.
    Maybe you missed it, but once Cam was given the ol'heave-ho, those long developing plays went away.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/st...04921341136896

He's meeting with the Chargers today and getting a physical.

Blog Entries

What is the situation with Marcus McNeil if McKinnie signs with the Chargers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe you missed it, but once Cam was given the ol'heave-ho, those long developing plays went away.
    The Ravens still go down field quite often in their passing game. Those plays require that Flacco has a decent amount of time to throw the ball.

McKinnie is going around trying to assess his market value. My guess is that there is a serious disconnect between what we wants and what teams are offering.

Blog Entries

What is the situation with Marcus McNeil if McKinnie signs with the Chargers?
    McNeill was cut before last season and was out of football. That's why the Chargers signed Gaither to replace him. McNeill has some serious back issues. I don't think he can play again.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Right player right price as always. BMac IS the right player for LT especially considering what else is out there but his presumed price seem to be all kinds of wrong. I don't know much about Bell but from what I'm reading here sounds like he is garbage. But granted Castillo worked with him how ever briefly in Philly and if he didn't think the guy could play I'm sure he wouldn't be a backup option.

BMac is lazy at times and a bit of a head case but when he's focused he's a darned good one. Let him window shop as long as he wants but make sure he ends up back here.