Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    IMHO...I hate everything about KO at LT.

I realize we may have no choice, but I think you are taking a potential all-pro at guard and putting him somewhere that isn't a natural spot for him.

It reminds me of when we had to play Yanda at RT. He didn't embarrass himself, but it was clear that he was much, much better inside.

I am not confident that a guy who was ok...just ok at the easier OT spot is going to be able to be a good LT.

We have the makings of a very dominant interior OL...not so much if he moves.

We'll see, but I'm not confident.

Personally, I hope McKinnie comes back to give us one more year to find a real LT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I am not going to say that KO wouldnt be natural at LT considering that is where he played in college. However, I totally agree about moving him away from LG because I do think he has all-pro potential there.

For that reason alone, I would rather see them bring McKinnie back. I am just a realist and think that this organization wants no part of McKinnie anymore.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    KO is going to get a chance to win the LT job. I've been posting that since the Super Bowl and as time goes on it's looking more and more likely.
    Seems to be that way.

LG will be a competition between Jah, Jack Cornell, and maybe Ricky Wagner. Wouldnt be surprised to see them bring in some vet guards like they did last year with Tony Wragge.

Blog Entries

Re: The OT situation

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Newsome did say, only thing he wishes they could've added but didn't is TE.

So OT was never REALLY something he was looking for. Hmm...Like I said, sounds like the plan was KO at LT all along...unless this "lined up" option was just the guy unless BPA dictated a better OT.
    I took that to mean basically that while, yeah, it'd be great to score a new LT in the draft, we weren't going to get one that would be any better than (a) what we have already or (b) what'll be out there in FA.

There were only a few guys in the draft that could actually IMPROVE the Ravens at LT.

Problem is those guys all went in the first couple picks. So there was nobody who'd constitute an actual upgrade at LT in the draft, unless we wanted to do a "Herschel Walker" and trade our whole draft in to move up for one of the top 5 picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My point was that if you have stellar play from the majority of the OL then you can game plan around the weak spots.
    Actually, I think Tony tweeted out a good game plan around the LT spot...

Joe is going to learn to throw left handed. Problem solved.

:)

I know, I'm a fucking Chicken Little right now. I trust Ozzie on the picks he made, so I should trust he knows better than to roll the dice with an obviously weak spot at LT. I just remember what happened with LG last year. We lost Grubbs, got no one to replace him, drafted KO, then ended up shifting KO to RT because no one else was playing well there (and Oher was still at LT), so our LG becomes a revolving door all year.

Hopefully, the same won't happen with LT.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I took that to mean basically that while, yeah, it'd be great to score a new LT in the draft, we weren't going to get one that would be any better than (a) what we have already or (b) what'll be out there in FA.

There were only a few guys in the draft that could actually IMPROVE the Ravens at LT.

Problem is those guys all went in the first couple picks. So there was nobody who'd constitute an actual upgrade at LT in the draft, unless we wanted to do a "Herschel Walker" and trade our whole draft in to move up for one of the top 5 picks.
    I will say this...the OTs that would've been a clear upgrade over signing Gaines or playing KO there were gone after 3 rounds. And I wouldn't change a single thing about the way our 1st 3 picks went. I think we absolutely NAILED each one and took a risk point in this new defense and turned it 180.

After the 3rd round, I can see that what was left was really just marginal.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Ravens were not in position to draft a LT. Realistically they will add a veteran LT, just to be safe, and start Osemelie. harewood, Wagner, Reid will compete for Lg. If the formation doesn't work out they will eventually put osemelie at lg as and put the veteran at Lt. The only question is if the veteran we add is mckinnie or maybe starks IMO. Other will stay rt so we can resign him cheaper and we will address long term Lt in 14s draft

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

I will say this...the OTs that would've been a clear upgrade over signing Gaines or playing KO there were gone after 3 rounds. And I wouldn't change a single thing about the way our 1st 3 picks went. I think we absolutely NAILED each one and took a risk point in this new defense and turned it 180.

After the 3rd round, I can see that what was left was really just marginal.
    I said it before the draft and I will say it now: this was a bad draft for OTs in general; not just LT. Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel were the only two "legit" LT prospects. Even Lane Johnson was considered somewhat of a project with tremendous upside.

Everyone after that had distinct question marks as OT prospects and frankly, most (if not all) projected as better guards. So, when considering that we can all certainly see how there was no way the Ravens were going to have a crack at a legitimate OT prospect.

Jason Peters... maybe cut leach to make room for a 2 yr 7.5m deal or so and call it a day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Jason Peters... maybe cut leach to make room for a 2 yr 7.5m deal or so and call it a day.
    Are the Eagles going to cut him?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Are the Eagles going to cut him?

haven't heard any rumors they are for sure, jsut y "hunch"
    he is set to earn $11m, coming off an injury, and htey drafted Lane Johnson... He's certianly un- tradeable.... Butif they aren't going to reuse the cap savings elsewhere I could definately see them keeping him and easing Lane in on the right side for a eyar, which actually would be Vick's blindside..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

haven't heard any rumors they are for sure, jsut y "hunch"
    he is set to earn $11m, coming off an injury, and htey drafted Lane Johnson... He's certianly un- tradeable.... Butif they aren't going to reuse the cap savings elsewhere I could definately see them keeping him and easing Lane in on the right side for a eyar, which actually would be Vick's blindside..
    If he is healthy and the Eagles do cut him then he could be a good stop gap for a year or two. Hell of a player. One of the best LTs in the league before he got hurt.

Blog Entries

I also think that the re-signing of McKinnie is a foregone conclusion, unless we find somebody better. All the big free agents are signed somewhere. If there was a big market for him, we'd know about it. No matter how good we believe he was for us last year (and he was... for about 4-5 games, though they were the most important games of the year) the fact is he's 33-34, has a "history", and nobody else in the NFL made much of a run at him so far in FA.

I won't go so far as to say he has a market of one, but it's close. Sure there's teams that might like him as a backup for the vet minimum, but the Ravens may be the only team willing to start him and actually pay him some money. He may need the Ravens more than they need him.

That said, I hope we re-sign him, but only if he shows up in shape and ready to rock.