Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    One thing you hear is that players from schools like Alabama are so wheel coached that they are already near the peak of their potential. Perhaps the thinking is that a guy from a small school has a lot of room to benefit from superior coaching.

Also, it seems like one of Cody's problems is that he's too tall and blockers can get under his pads. Maybe shorter is better at nose. Plus he can bench 38 times and stand on his hands!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Correct. That's why I specified taller in my post. By the same token, Jesse graded out over 10 points higher than Brandon in the NFL.com's draft tracker, and played for a big time school against big time competition.
    Terrence Cody played for a big time school against big time competition too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: A pattern develops.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Adding to this, for those who want Barrett Jones, he's rumored to be starting the season on the PUP list. Legit long-term injury concerns there which is why he's dropping. I don't think Ozzie takes him.
    It could well be that Brian Schwenke is a safer pick. He played center at Cal but was switched there after playing guard (actually started at three different positions on the Cal line), so he can also be filed under "versatile". Plays with a nasty streak.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    One thing you hear is that players from schools like Alabama are so wheel coached that they are already near the peak of their potential. Perhaps the thinking is that a guy from a small school has a lot of room to benefit from superior coaching.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

That is an opinion some media types are saying is making rounds with scouts...similar to the opinion many had about Penn State.

There aren't many Bama players who have come into the NFL and become rock stars.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Terrence Cody played for a big time school against big time competition too.

Hmmmm...so that must be the determining factor then in trying to assess players. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    You have to think the Ravens did their doo-doo diligence before they picked him...
    We definitely have our shit together.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    We definitely have our shit together.
    Holy Crap. I agree!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Hmmmm...so that must be the determining factor then in trying to assess players. Got it.
    You brought competition level up as a factor, not me

More versatility and character.

A DE who the experts just said can play a lot of positions (if you look at tape on him he looks like Jarrett Johnson when he first got to Baltimore as a DT). And they just raved about leadership.

And a pass catching fullback with wiggle...Harvard, I assume, implies some character.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You brought competition level up as a factor, not me

It's one factor; clearly not the only factor. Unless one chooses to make an exaggerated argument along those simplistic lines.