Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Draft blunders in recent years

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Yes. He was considered a 2nd round prospect because he was a division I-AA player, and the Ravens traded up to draft him.
    That isn't "nearly a draft blunder" IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    The bears messing up our potential trade with them by not calling the league. Cost a draft spot and almost cost us jimmy smith.
    Are you implying that losing Jimmy Smith would have been bad? The guy is a bust!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    What do you see as some mistakes teams made recently?

A couple that come to my mind are last year - Cleveland had a chance to go get RG III and they blew it - and then traded up to select a running back that they could've taken in their original spot. Wow

Also Denver trading with us to go back into the first and select Tim Tebow

Just my point of view of a couple of really dumb moves...
    LOL - Ozzie should be in prison for stealing candy from a baby. That's what that theft
    amounts to because he got Pitta and Dickson with those Denver picks and they are
    SB 47 heroes.

Ozzie bombed out with Kindle but still came away with Art Jones in addition to the above.
    One of the great drafts in history along with the Flacco/Rice and JO/Ray drafts.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-24-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Blog Entries

As for blunders, every team should be crucified for being wrong on BRady who went in the lower rounds. He was clearly the best athlete in that draft and in the last decade. Look at all his rings and SBs he was in but didn't win - what 6 or 7?

Ozzie took Chris Redman on Phil Savage say so while his mid-west scout pimped Brady big time.

If those drafts above were the best in history the Swan Edwards draft was probably the worse
    in history. To pour salt in the wound NE got Wilfork with the #1 pick Ozzie gave up for
    Boller who set the franchise back 5 years.

Ozzie really reached on Boller - another blunder but Suggs saved that draft - one of the best
    OLBs to ever play.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think it was last year...forgot about that one. but they have cool new helmets ;)

Are they really two-toned? Ugly!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I understand that, but how was the Ravens drafting Flacco "nearly a draft blunder"? Is it because some considered him a reach at #18?
    Damn, Joe just won the MVP for the SB so that has to be one of the best drafts in history along with Ray Rice in the same draft. Jake Long went first but Joe is now clearly the best player in that entire draft so it was no reach.

Oz pulled off the greatest moves in history in that draft trading down near the bottom where Joe was projected to go saving millions for the RAvens at the 10th spot where he was. Flacco was originally projected to go at the top of the 2d which is where Parcells hoped to get him but Joe began rising on the boards in the final days before the draft. Parcells took Jake Long first to protect Flacco but ended up with Henne-lol.

So Ozzie was in the right spot to get Joe but heard that both the Jets and Gruden wanted Joe.
    Jets worked him out for 4 days, so Oz traded back up and in front of Gruden to get Joe.
    Gruden and Ozzie's pal The Shack whom he did all that trading with moving down and up were soon out of football.

That was CAM's first time in the Ravens War Room and he said he never saw anything like
    it in the pros.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-24-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    That isn't "nearly a draft blunder" IMO.
    draft blunder is a subjective thing. Basically, seems to be any decision that is either poor value for the pick level, or terrible production.

if we're calling the Browns taking Richardson a blunder because they moved up to take him when they could've taken him in their original spot? You could make the same argument with Flacco.

Hell, by that logic, you could call trading a 6th round pick to the Browns to get Ngata one spot higher a blunder, because they might not have taken him, right? I think Savage said he had no plans to take Ngata, just played our fiddle to get the pick, knowing we really wanted him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    As for blunders, every team should be crucified for being wrong on BRady who went in the lower rounds. He was clearly the best athlete in that draft and in the last decade. Look at all his rings and SBs he was in but didn't win - what 6 or 7?

Ozzie took Chris Redman on Phil Savage say so while his mid-west scout pimped Brady big time.

If those drafts above were the best in history the Swan Edwards draft was probably the worse
    in history. To pour salt in the wound NE got Wilfork with the #1 pick Ozzie gave up for
    Boller who set the franchise back 5 years.

Ozzie really reached on Boller - another blunder but Suggs saved that draft - one of the best
    OLBs to ever play.
    Tom Brady ran one of the slowest 40's of any QB ever. And his performances in the other drills were equally as bad. Where he shined was the interviews, knowledge of the game, and an accurate, quick release.

He was far from the most athletic player, let alone most athletic QB in that draft.

Just goes to show you that combine warriors dont always translate to good football players.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Ditto but they still missed. They should have seen his skills watching him play. The Ravens
    mid west scout pimped him over Redman.

That's why I always say the 40 time and the combines are a waste of time except for
    the interviews. Tom Matte and Raymond Berry were two of the best players in their
    eras making pro bowls and winning championships and SBs. They would have never been invited to the combines because they were so slow but all they did was score TDs. Matte still holds the SB record for most yardage for a RB.

The professionals still miss.

Some of the guys on the old Ravens message boards pimped Brady but mostly everyone in
    Bmore including me wanted Redman because even Unitas said he was like himself out of Louisville. The Ravens war room erupted with thunder when Redman was still there.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-25-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Tom Brady ran one of the slowest 40's of any QB ever. And his performances in the other drills were equally as bad. Where he shined was the interviews, knowledge of the game, and an accurate, quick release.

He was far from the most athletic player, let alone most athletic QB in that draft.

Just goes to show you that combine warriors dont always translate to good football players.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    He also got a year under Bellicheat to learn other teams defensive calls.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Are they really two-toned? Ugly!
    original huh? good for at least 3 wins

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Good point on Bellicheat. Brady didn't even start until their #1 guy went down.