Blog Entries

Is there enough difference between Justin Hunter and Tommy Streeter to justify drafting Hunter?

Streeter: 6'5", 219 lbs, 34 3/4" arms, 33" vertical, 125" broad, 9.5" hands, 4.40 sec. 40 yd dash

Hunter: 6'4", 196 lbs, 32.68" arms, 39.5 vertical, 132" broad, 9.48" hands,4,44 sec. 40 yd dash

Hunter beats Streeter on jumping ability, but Streeter has Hunter beat on height and arm length, so it is almost moot. On paper measurables, they seem very similar.

I haven't seen enough of them play to draw a comparison on the field.

I do know several people have issues with Hunter's drop %, and that it is largely agreed Streeter came out too early.

Re: Is there enough difference between Justin Hunter and Tommy Streeter to justify drafting Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Streeter: 6'5", 219 lbs, 34 3/4" arms, 33" vertical, 125" broad, 9.5" hands, 4.40 sec. 40 yd dash

Hunter: 6'4", 196 lbs, 32.68" arms, 39.5 vertical, 132" broad, 9.48" hands,4,44 sec. 40 yd dash

Hunter beats Streeter on jumping ability, but Streeter has Hunter beat on height and arm length, so it is almost moot. On paper measurables, they seem very similar.

I haven't seen enough of them play to draw a comparison on the field.

I do know several people have issues with Hunter's drop %, and that it is largely agreed Streeter came out too early.
    Yes.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Ha! You kinda stole my thunder bt.

I was watching film on Streeter last night and thought: is that the 2011 Justin Hunter, I see?

After further review...

The primary difference I see is that Streeter is upright damn near all the time which makes his routes look just plain goofy and produce minimal separation advantage. Hunter, while not a sharp route runner by any stretch, has bend as he throttles.

The secondary difference I see is that Streeter uses his height and length accidentally, whereas Hunter is very deliberate and gains a greater space advantage.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Re: Is there enough difference between Justin Hunter and Tommy Streeter to justify drafting Hunter?

Yes. Skill.

Football games aren't played in weight rooms with scales and measuring sticks. Justin Hunter is a much better football player than Tommy Streeter.

Streeter has just about a 5% chance of ever being a starting NFL receiver. His tape, while intriguing at very brief moments, is not particularly impressive, as alluded to by BPR above. He was a good flyer as a 6th round pick but there are tons and tons of 6'4 220lb fast receivers in the draft every year that get a cup of coffee with a team or two but never catch an NFL pass. Streeter's one of them.

I'm encouraged by the fact that apparently Streeter was recently mentioned by name as someone the Ravens' brass is excited about, but that could absolutely be coach-speak, and you don't pass up on a talent like Hunter (at the right draft spot, of course) just because you have a 6th rounder you think might have a chance to be a real player at some point in the future.

Paper measurable are worth as much as the paper they're written on.

Blog Entries
    Streeter may be bigger, but Hunter is much more fluid, agile, and explosive. He is light years ahead of Streeter as a receiver and could start from day 1.

Would love to have him as a Raven.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I would still draft him, mostly because we have no idea if Streeter will be able to produce in the NFL. The one inch of height difference doesn't make up the 6" of leaping difference. Plus, things like route running and hand quality aren't measurable stats to compare them on.

There is a reason Streeter lasted until Round 6 last year and Hunter will likely go in the first couple rounds this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I think Justin Hunter is more along the lines of Stephen Hill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think Justin Hunter is more along the lines of Stephen Hill.
    Except Hunter functioned in a pro-style offense. :)
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I don't even watch basketball anymore, but this popped into my empty head...

Tommy Streeter looks like he could become Shane Battier.

Justin Hunter looks like he could become Kevin Durant.

Both could fall short. It's all about Risk.
    Streeter was a risk earlier than mid-round. Hunter is a risk in the 1st IMO.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Streeter was a risk earlier than mid-round. Hunter is a risk in the 1st IMO.
    I think if Streeter had stayed in college another year and had a good year we would be seeing a lot more comparisons between Streeter and Hunter.

The entire Miami class apparently got swindled by Rosenhaus after he convinced them to leave early (including Lamar Miller). They were all drafted way lower than projected, and thus got way less money.

"Some draft analysts graded the 6-foot-5, 219-pound Streeter as a second-round pick, not surprising since he impressed teams at the NFL Combine in February by running 40 yards in 4.4 seconds, the eighth-fastest clocking.

But by the time the NFL Draft arrived last Thursday, Streeter's stock was tumbling. Questions regarding his route-running and a "one-year wonder" label seemed to overshadow his rare combination of size and speed.

Instead of the second round, Streeter was left hanging until the Baltimore Ravens took him with the 198th overall pick late in the sixth round.

According to a long-time NFL agent with access to contract information, the average second-round draft choice in 2011 earned $2.2 million in guarantees. A sixth-rounder received an average of $101,000 guaranteed.

"Tommy Streeter should have come back to school," ESPN's Todd McShay said this week. "He knew the risks. I thought he could have used more time."

Streeter wasn't alone. His four other underclassmen teammates, with the possible exception of Dolphins' third-round pick Olivier Vernon, all were selected below where they were projected. In the case of defensive tackle Marcus Forston, he wasn't even drafted.
    "
    http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/spor...to-ente/nN3cc/