Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is having a great LT overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    And there might be panic in Atlanta which was the last 2012 playoff team not mentioned here.
    They just cut their LT, Tyson Clabo due to salary cap just like Ravens got rid of Boldin and
    Reed.

But note article says: TIME TO PANIC AT CRUCIAL POSITION?

IT BEGINS AND ENDS AT CRUCIAL SPOT (LT).

SOME SAY IT'S THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL NEXT TO THE QB.

THE BEST LTs IN THE DRAFT GO IN THE TOP 5 ROUNDS SO THEY MUST BE IMPORTANT.

And last but not least, Oher's book and movie begins by saying how important the
    LT job is at protecting the blind side. The title is: THE BLIND SIDE.
    Both the book and movie desribe how Joe Theisman's career was ended because of the
    blind side and the movie showed actual film footage of Taylor's hit with Frank Gifford
    saying don't look if you have a weak stomach. Theisman's bone is sticking straight thru his leg.

I know the game has changed but just ask Theisman how important the LT is. Then
    ask Joe Flacco and maybe the game hasn't changed that much. Flacco would love to
    have a young JO protecting his blind side instead of what he has. So would Matt
    Ryan in Atlanta and Rivers in SD.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons...t-left-tackle/
    Tyson Clabo was their RT.

Sam Baker is their LT...who they just re-signed...to a multi-year deal...who has also never been to a pro-bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco
    And last but not least, Oher's book and movie begins by saying how important the
    LT job is at protecting the blind side. The title is: THE BLIND SIDE.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctulb View Post
    IMO LT is of greater importance for us due to our offensive system. We don't dink and dunk that much, the offense relies on giving the receivers time to get open at intermediate and deep levels of the field.

Whether this philosophy changes somewhat under Caldwell, we'll see this coming season.
    We have no idea how the offensive philosophy is going to shift under Caldwell. However, what we do know is that his game plan (using the system that was in place) and his play calling seem to play more to the strengths of the offensive personnel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The last SB champs, NY GIANTS, just signed their LT, Will Beatty to a $38M contract. He's not a pro bowler or franchise LT but is very athletic and a solid pass protector protecting Eli's blind side.

So the bottom line is, the last 3 of 4 LTs in the last 2 SB have been pro bowlers from 07-12 (Light, MacKinnie and Staley) and the one who isn't (Beatty) is very athletic and very, very good at protecting the blind side. Shows how important strong LTs are.

And don't forget Denver, another 2012 playoff team with a pro bowler LT in Ryan Clady. He played vs us but didn't give up any sacks while losing. He's a 3 time pro bowler and has started in 80 straight games although he missed this years pro bowl game due to an injury.

That's 3 2012 playoff teams with pro bowl LTs protecting the blind side.

Someone is mixing apples with oranges.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...BAyWXVxdHGjeoJ
    Oh, you mean that same LT who they IR'ed in November of that Super Bowl year?
    http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=9&c...&fhn=1&yr=2009

David Diehl played LT for the Giants the rest of that season, into the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl. And he was pretty bad.

Thanks for further supporting my argument.

Also, last year was the first season that Beatty actually played pretty well...and it didn't seem to help the Giants much, huh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Beatty was injured in the play offs IIRC, and they had to play their guard at OT, and he was awful. Beatty only really turned it on last year and earned that contract, and I think he's on his way to becoming a premium OT in the NFL, and he's certainly at this point in his career, better than McKinnie. You say McKinnie is a pro bowler, and while that is true, he hasn't been to the pro bowl since 2009 I believe, and he isn't close to the same player he was back then. Matt Light was a pretty good player in his time, but like McKinnie, he wasn't as good in his later years, and the Patriots still didn't win the SB. The 49ers didn't win either, Joe Staley is obviously a really great player who I WISH we got over Ben Grubbs back in 07, that was a frustrating draft. The actual SB winners only had average at best OTs starting, and did fine.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really want McKinnie back on a 1/2 year deal, not just because he's our best option at LT, and that he's still pretty good, but because it just fits everyone into their natural positions. Having KO and Yanda in the middle, Oher at RT, and McKinnie at LT, would probably make this a top 5 unit like it was in the play offs, I really don't want to miss out on that opportunity, because it was great having that luxury from 08-09. I just love being able to dominant in the trenches on both sides of the ball, that's where the games won. Our Dline is fixed, now fix the Oline.
    Beatty actually went on IR in November of that season for a detached retina, which he had surgery on. He never played in the playoffs and he never played in the Super Bowl.

That was David Diehl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Oh, you mean that same LT who they IR'ed in November of that Super Bowl year?
    http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=9&c...&fhn=1&yr=2009

David Diehl played LT for the Giants the rest of that season, into the playoffs, and in the Super Bowl. And he was pretty bad.

Thanks for further supporting my argument.

Also, last year was the first season that Beatty actually played pretty well...and it didn't seem to help the Giants much, huh?
    Before last season the NY media was putting Beatty in the bust category. Now he's compared to Luke Petitgout who was a 1st round tackle for the Giants who took a couple of seasons before he played well. Both seemed to get hot right during their contract seasons but neither is an upper level tackle.

Blog Entries

I think Beatty has the tools to be a top 5 tackle tbh, but as already pointed out, he only really played well last year. He's an example of a very rare second round pick who has excelled at LT eventually, you don't find many guys like that.

Blog Entries

completely dependent upon your scheme and game plan. WCO, not as much. AC, youre going to need more time. some hybrid between the two, you better have talent between the two as well. As far as i know Caldwell is going to be running an AC hybrid. he calls it better than Cam which helps but ultimately we should still have a good LT to match that because well still be taking shots down field.
    -JAB

Quick throws. Check.

Sooooo we'd better get some receivers that can "win" quick too. We know who they are by now right?
    A 6'5+ TE would help too. Plenty abound this weekend.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I think Beatty has the tools to be a top 5 tackle tbh, but as already pointed out, he only really played well last year. He's an example of a very rare second round pick who has excelled at LT eventually, you don't find many guys like that.
    Top 5? Sorry but I don't see that at all. Top 15 yes but what has Beatty done that makes you think he has that kind of talent?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Quick throws. Check.

Sooooo we'd better get some receivers that can "win" quick too. We know who they are by now right?
    And if we don't pick a TE early, then Fauria from UCLA should be around on day 3 at 6'7".
    I think they should grab him just to create the matchup headaches for the defenses.
    I am hoping Streeter has matured during the last year being around Q, Torrey, Jones, and Pitta.
    Having a 6'5" 4.4 opposite Torrey, with tall TEs and Rice/Pierce out of the backfield would be a nightmare for every defense.

Blog Entries

If you are going to go bombs away on with those deeper drops, you'll probably need better LT play.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Before last season the NY media was putting Beatty in the bust category. Now he's compared to Luke Petitgout who was a 1st round tackle for the Giants who took a couple of seasons before he played well. Both seemed to get hot right during their contract seasons but neither is an upper level tackle.
    Absolutely. He is a good player. If he can stay healthy for more than one season he may be able to develop into a top tiered LT. He has the skills.

No, you most certainly dont. He turned in a good season last year, but is he going to go the way of many players that played well in a contract year and become mediocre? Or is he going to get better and fulfill his potential? Who really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    completely dependent upon your scheme and game plan. WCO, not as much. AC, youre going to need more time. some hybrid between the two, you better have talent between the two as well. As far as i know Caldwell is going to be running an AC hybrid. he calls it better than Cam which helps but ultimately we should still have a good LT to match that because well still be taking shots down field.
    You know, I really agree with this. I just don't think that you NEED a top tiered LT anymore to be successful. The Ravens haven't had a consistent top-tiered LT since Ogden and they've been one of the most successful franchises over the past 5-6 years. And that was with the albatross around their necks that was Cam's game planning and in-game non-adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Quick throws. Check.

+1000000000000000000000000

I think Caldwell's play calling, philosophy, and game planning will really help in this department, but the Ravens definitely need better receivers.