Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: My Final 7 Round (Ravens only) Mock Up

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Agree on Brown. He was a liability down the stretch and missed some pivotal tackles. Disagree on Graham. I don't remember him getting picked on much at all throughout the stretch run. When there were important pass plays going against us over the final 4-5 regular season games and the postseason, it was usually against Pollard, Reed, or Brown...or occasionally Cary Williams.
    Brown had a handful of bad plays that led to him being benched, but IMO that guy showed more than a lot of other recent draft picks. Especially considering Chykie was drafted as a depth ST's guy.

I think Brown could end up as a decent starter.

I agree with you about Corey Graham. He was clutch. He played a lot of nickel too, which is no easy task.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    yeah not as thrilled with that one. Curious do you have him going before Faulk?
    Don't look at their comparison and dismiss him. I think Michael Oher is a bad comparison. Oher is not a very good run blocker and that is one skill that Mills definitely does not lack.

I actually think Mills compares much more favorably to KO over Oher.

And yes, I do have Mills going before Faulk. I think Faulk will drop quite a bit. Injury causing him to not be able to work out combined with questions surrounding where exactly to play him may actually cause Faulk to go undrafted. Seriously.

Additionally, Faulk is a big guy, but he isn't in very good shape.

Jordan Mills

I mean, you can clearly tell that Mills is a SOLID 310-315lbs. Faulk, on the other hand, is a rather pudgy 330lbs. I know that body structure isn't THAT big of a deal for NFL offensive linemen, but I like Mills a lot more than Faulk at this point. I like his athleticism, his demeanor, and I like that he hits the gym. 310-315lbs with very little gut "overhang" is pretty impressive. Plus, Mills has 34+" arms, which is something to look for in a LT prospect.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: My Final 7 Round (Ravens only) Mock Up

wickedsolo :
    Round 1 - Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International (6'1" 218lbs). I firmly believe that if the Ravens do not trade down, then they will take the best overall SS, DT, or LB. Everything I've watched on Cyprien has really changed my mind about the kid. I think the way he plays safety will fit in well with the evolution of the NFL. He is a big hitter, but he wraps up, so I don't see him drawing a lot of flags. I also don't see him as a big time head-hunter. I like that he can play around the line of scrimmage, like Pollard, but unlike Pollard, Cyprien can play really well in space. He has nice coverage skills and decent hands for a safety.

Round 2 - Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (6'1" 210lbs). Patton is an exceptional route runner with great hands, long arms, and deceptive speed. He isn't a burner, but he does a really nice job separating from defensive backs through precise route running and intelligent play. Everyone keeps saying the Ravens need to "replace Boldin". That line of thinking is what needs replaced, quite frankly. The Ravens just need another receiver, period. Patton can play the slot, but he could also legitimately compete for the Z receiver spot and he is one of the best players available at the end of round 2. I think he compares heavily to Reggie Wayne and Jim Caldwell has experience with a receiver of that caliber.

Round 3 - Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (6'1" 243lbs). I think Greene is one of the most underrated players in this draft. He is a converted safety, so he does a really nice job in space and in coverage. I love the way this guy accelerates and puts his shoulder into the ball carrier. I also think he has enough speed and quickness to be an effective blitzing linebacker. I think he'd be a nice compliment to the other inside linebackers on the roster.

REPLY : Picking @ #32, barring trades, I'd be thrilled with these three choices. I think your mock is quite realistic, and give it a ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    wickedsolo :
    Round 1 - Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International (6'1" 218lbs). I firmly believe that if the Ravens do not trade down, then they will take the best overall SS, DT, or LB. Everything I've watched on Cyprien has really changed my mind about the kid. I think the way he plays safety will fit in well with the evolution of the NFL. He is a big hitter, but he wraps up, so I don't see him drawing a lot of flags. I also don't see him as a big time head-hunter. I like that he can play around the line of scrimmage, like Pollard, but unlike Pollard, Cyprien can play really well in space. He has nice coverage skills and decent hands for a safety.

Round 2 - Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (6'1" 210lbs). Patton is an exceptional route runner with great hands, long arms, and deceptive speed. He isn't a burner, but he does a really nice job separating from defensive backs through precise route running and intelligent play. Everyone keeps saying the Ravens need to "replace Boldin". That line of thinking is what needs replaced, quite frankly. The Ravens just need another receiver, period. Patton can play the slot, but he could also legitimately compete for the Z receiver spot and he is one of the best players available at the end of round 2. I think he compares heavily to Reggie Wayne and Jim Caldwell has experience with a receiver of that caliber.

Round 3 - Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (6'1" 243lbs). I think Greene is one of the most underrated players in this draft. He is a converted safety, so he does a really nice job in space and in coverage. I love the way this guy accelerates and puts his shoulder into the ball carrier. I also think he has enough speed and quickness to be an effective blitzing linebacker. I think he'd be a nice compliment to the other inside linebackers on the roster.

REPLY : Picking @ #32, barring trades, I'd be thrilled with these three choices. I think your mock is quite realistic, and give it a ... Bc
    Thanks Bc. Looking forward to seeing yours on Sunday!

Great effort. I enjoyed it and learned alot.
    Going one step further- I am convinced the Ravens need a third QB to potentially develop from the draft. Do you see a UDFA target out there?
    The reason I say so is that I think we were extremely fortunate Joe was healthy all of last year, and I'm not convinced that Tyrod can do enough to win us a game in an emergency situation.
    And the Beatdown goes on.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark&Stormy View Post
    Great effort. I enjoyed it and learned alot.
    Going one step further- I am convinced the Ravens need a third QB to potentially develop from the draft. Do you see a UDFA target out there?
    The reason I say so is that I think we were extremely fortunate Joe was healthy all of last year, and I'm not convinced that Tyrod can do enough to win us a game in an emergency situation.
    I think there will be a few. The Ravens also recently signed Caleb Hanie. While he isnt amazing, he isnt a terrible back up and will at least push Tyrod.

I actually wouldnt mind seeing Jordan Rodgers out of Vanderbilt. He is Aaron Rodgers brother. Decent player. I also like Alex Carder out of Western Michigan.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

Smarts X Effort + Love = !&%#@! good mock. Thank you!

Two comments:

1) I like loading up on LBs (three of them), but I hope we can do better at LT (just one, and a long shot). I do like getting a C, though.

2) Ozzie must have some Oriental blood -- totally inscrutable. In round 1 he could go LB, LT, S, CB, WR, NT. Or trade down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Quinton Patton has a chance to be a good NFL receiver. There was a game he had against Texas A&M that was just amazing. He just took over the LA Tech offense. Very much like a Derrick Mason in his prime. I'd be very happy to get him in that spot.
    Thats a very good comparison GOTA, he actually REALLY looks like Mason on tape, never thought of that one, smooth route runner, probably a little bigger than Mason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Don't look at their comparison and dismiss him. I think Michael Oher is a bad comparison. Oher is not a very good run blocker and that is one skill that Mills definitely does not lack.

I actually think Mills compares much more favorably to KO over Oher.

And yes, I do have Mills going before Faulk. I think Faulk will drop quite a bit. Injury causing him to not be able to work out combined with questions surrounding where exactly to play him may actually cause Faulk to go undrafted. Seriously.

Additionally, Faulk is a big guy, but he isn't in very good shape.

Jordan Mills

I mean, you can clearly tell that Mills is a SOLID 310-315lbs. Faulk, on the other hand, is a rather pudgy 330lbs. I know that body structure isn't THAT big of a deal for NFL offensive linemen, but I like Mills a lot more than Faulk at this point. I like his athleticism, his demeanor, and I like that he hits the gym. 310-315lbs with very little gut "overhang" is pretty impressive. Plus, Mills has 34+" arms, which is something to look for in a LT prospect.
    all good points, i was more poking fun. Really the strengths/weaknesses didnt really sound like Oher. the things that stood out the most to me were "never played LT" and from what youre saying "hes a better run blocker than Oher" which is Ohers better ability, imo, but putting the two together means who's playing LT between the two? Well see, probably the position im most excited to see addressed in the draft. I think theres some decent mid-late round guys that can actually be a long term solution there despite the odds.

Id probably be happy with Faulk going UDFA, good chance he ends up here in that scenario. I dont see it though. I like that Mills is solid and athletic, but i like the tape and pedigree with Faulk. Im sure some team will make that call with Faulk.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    all good points, i was more poking fun. Really the strengths/weaknesses didnt really sound like Oher. the things that stood out the most to me were "never played LT" and from what youre saying "hes a better run blocker than Oher" which is Ohers better ability, imo, but putting the two together means who's playing LT between the two? Well see, probably the position im most excited to see addressed in the draft. I think theres some decent mid-late round guys that can actually be a long term solution there despite the odds.

Id probably be happy with Faulk going UDFA, good chance he ends up here in that scenario. I dont see it though. I like that Mills is solid and athletic, but i like the tape and pedigree with Faulk. Im sure some team will make that call with Faulk.
    Possibly.

Honestly, I think that KO is going to be the LT next year, so getting Mills to provide competition, but ultimately line up as the LG would be a really nice addition IMO. I dont know that KO would do well at LT, but he certainly has all of the physical tools you look for. I will say that the addition of Juan Castillo makes me feel better about the situation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Possibly.

Honestly, I think that KO is going to be the LT next year, so getting Mills to provide competition, but ultimately line up as the LG would be a really nice addition IMO. I dont know that KO would do well at LT, but he certainly has all of the physical tools you look for. I will say that the addition of Juan Castillo makes me feel better about the situation.
    Id agree with that and like KOs chances to succeed there, and to that point, Mills probably projects better to LG than Faulk does. Ill feel better about Castillo when hes promoted to OL coach. However i dont expect our Run game to suffer any this year with his presence.
    -JAB

Here's my final mock.

1. (32) Matt Elam SS Florida - I think I had him going to the Ravens in my very first offseason mock, and now I've circled all the way back. Other possible picks: Keenan Allen, Alec Ogletree, Jon Cyprien, Arthur Brown, Menelik Watson

2. (62) Sio Moore ILB/OLB UConn - I had previously mocked other ILB prospects like Khaseem Greene and Arthur Brown in this spot, but there are rumors flying that the Ravens are interested in Moore, and he has huge upside. His ability to make plays, rush the passer, and drop into coverage would make him an adequate replacement for Ellerbe.

3. (94) Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati - I've had this slot earmarked for Da'Rick Rogers for a long time, but I think the Ravens could be more confident in their young WRs than we know. Meanwhile, they have no TEs under contract for 2014 and none that can block at all in 2013. Kelce could easily be the best TE from this class very quickly.

4. (129) Brian Schwenke G/C Cal - Schwenke might not drop this far, but if he does, the Ravens have shown a lot of interest and his versatility and athleticism fit the scheme perfectly. Possible day 1 starter at LG if KO needs to kick out to LT.

4. (130) Chris Harper WR Kansas State - The Ravens have shown a lot of interest in Harper, and although I wasn't overly impressed with him early in the process his stock is up in my eyes. His tape proved better than expected.

5. (165) Jordan Mills OT LA Tech - Mills is not a player I think will go as highly as he was initially projected. His technical deficiencies will prevent him from starting a game anytime soon, but he is excellent insurance for Michael Oher possibly departing in FA next year. He'll be solid depth at OT in 2013.

5. (168) Brandon Jenkins OLB FSU - Jenkins has endured a disastrous slide this year. Coming off of his junior season he would have been a likely top-60 pick in the 2012 draft, but now he falls all the way to the end of the 5th due to lingering medical issues. Again, a guy who will be solid depth over the next year or two and great insurance against Suggs entering the decline phase of his career.

6. (199) Keith Pough ILB Howard - The Ravens have shown a lot of interest in Pough and he's a good value here. Doubling up at ILB, particularly with Sio Moore's ability to also play SAM in a pinch, seems like a good idea.

6. (200) Kenjon Barner RB Oregon - This is not a "need" pick, but the Ravens lack a breakaway threat out of the backfield and could also stand to add depth at returner. Barner would add a nice speed element in a change-of-pace RB role and as a punt returner if Jacoby is not retained beyond 2013.

6. (203) Kyle Juszczyk FB/HB/TE Harvard - Juszczyk is projected as high as the 4th round in many mocks, but no FB has been drafted higher than the 5th round since 2008 (Rhett Ellison was drafted as a TE by Minnesota last year.) He could easily fall deep into the 6th round or so and would be a very capable replacement for Leach if the team decides to go in a different direction at FB. Unsurprisingly, he's not the mauling run blocker that Leach is, but he is an upgrade in the athleticism and receiving department, and can back up at TE in a pinch.

7. (238) John Boyett FS Oregon - Another typical Ozzie pick, Boyett would go much higher if not for knee injuries that derailed his senior season. He's not a physically impressive specimen but there are flashes of Ed Reed level potential on tape; at his best, a great single-high safety prospect who is not afraid to shoot down into the box and stick his nose into the play.

7. (247) Quinton Dial DE/DT Alabama - The Ravens have shown plenty of interest in Dial, a nice late-round prospect with scheme versatility and good upside.