Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: My Final 7 Round (Ravens only) Mock Up

I'd be happy with Cyprien at 32.

Cool Re: My Final 7 Round (Ravens only) Mock Up

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Round 1 - Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International (6'1" 218lbs). I firmly believe that if the Ravens do not trade down, then they will take the best overall SS, DT, or LB. Everything I've watched on Cyprien has really changed my mind about the kid. I think the way he plays safety will fit in well with the evolution of the NFL. He is a big hitter, but he wraps up, so I don't see him drawing a lot of flags. I also don't see him as a big time head-hunter. I like that he can play around the line of scrimmage, like Pollard, but unlike Pollard, Cyprien can play really well in space. He has nice coverage skills and decent hands for a safety.

Other possibilities for round 1: Arthur Brown, Jessie Williams, or Matt Elam.

Round 2 - Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (6'1" 210lbs). Patton is an exceptional route runner with great hands, long arms, and deceptive speed. He isn't a burner, but he does a really nice job separating from defensive backs through precise route running and intelligent play. Everyone keeps saying the Ravens need to "replace Boldin". That line of thinking is what needs replaced, quite frankly. The Ravens just need another receiver, period. Patton can play the slot, but he could also legitimately compete for the Z receiver spot and he is one of the best players available at the end of round 2. I think he compares heavily to Reggie Wayne and Jim Caldwell has experience with a receiver of that caliber.

Round 3 - Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers (6'1" 243lbs). I think Greene is one of the most underrated players in this draft. He is a converted safety, so he does a really nice job in space and in coverage. I love the way this guy accelerates and puts his shoulder into the ball carrier. I also think he has enough speed and quickness to be an effective blitzing linebacker. I think he'd be a nice compliment to the other inside linebackers on the roster.

Round 4 - Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech (6'5" 315lbs). Mills has a tendency to play a little heavy-footed every now and then, but he did a nice job at the Senior Bowl in 1-on-1 drills. He showed nice quickness and recovery against speed rushers, which is what some were concerned with. I think he is someone that could play multiple positions (LT, RT, LG, and RG) on the offensive line and possibly even compete to start his rookie year at either LG or LT.

Round 4 (Comp Pick) - Trevardo Williams, LB, UCONN (6'1" 241lbs). Williams was really impressive to me all year long. This guy is the textbook definition of explosive. I think he needs some refinement as an every-down linebacker, but as a situational pass rusher I think he'd be a perfect fit for what the Ravens like to do. The reality is that Suggs has been in the league for a decade, has suffered two big injuries in the same year, and is going to be expensive in the final years of his current deal. With the way the Ravens have operated recently, there is a good chance that Suggs may not be with the Ravens in the near future. The Ravens like having depth and Trevardo Williams would be an excellent depth pass-rusher.

Round 5 - Kevin Reddick, LB, UNC (6'2" 245lbs). There is a lot of reporting linking Reddick with the Ravens as a mid round pick and I completely agree. It does make sense. Reddick has a lot of upside, but it doesn't seem like he has really recognized and lived up to that potential yet. As a mid round pick though, Reddick is great value and low risk. If he ends up only being a depth/ST's linebacker, then oh well. Not a big investment and not a big loss. Still, more competition for Rolando McClain, Josh Bynes, and Albert McClellan is a good thing for Baltimore.

Round 5 (Comp) - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington St (6'3" 195lbs). I think this is the type of pick you make for the future. Wilson's size/speed combo is very desirable and his ability to "high-point" passes is really nice. He has excellent body control and for a bigger receiver his routes aren't too bad. At 195lbs though, I think the Ravens would like to see him bulk up into the 200's while not losing much speed. The Ravens have some nice young receivers, but competition ensures the best players make the roster and I think Wilson could end up being a better than some of the other guys currently on the roster. He could be the steal of the draft.

Round 6 (From San Fran) - Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia (6' 215lbs). Commings was pretty impressive at the combine. He showed a lot more speed than many thought he had, but I still think his footwork says "Safety" to me rather than cornerback. I could be wrong, but I still think he would have a lot of value to Baltimore as a CB who can play safety. Even though the Ravens signed Michael Huff, I still think they'll take advantage of this draft to build out their secondary a little more.

Round 6 - Braxston Cave, OC, Notre Dame (6'3" 300lbs). Cave isn't a flashy player, but he is a hard worker and that is something that John Harbaugh looks for in a player. He is also one of the strongest guys in this draft. I don't think he'd be better than Gino Gradkowski, but the Ravens definitely need some depth at center.

Round 6 (Comp) - Lavar Edwards, DT, LSU (6'4" 279lbs). Ozzie flat out said that they want to get better in the middle of their defense. I think they definitely addressed that via free agency, but Edwards is good value here and could be a good fit as a 5-technique defensive tackle.

Round 7 - Matt Furstenburg, TE, Maryland (6'3" 245lbs). Furstenburg is a lot more athletic than many scouts gave him credit for. He could be a nice receiving option out of the slot, but he is also a pretty good blocker as well. The Ravens will likely keep Dennis Pitta, but I don't see them keeping Ed Dickson. They need TE depth.

Round 7 (Comp) - Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech (5'11" 189lbs). Solid corner, nice ability when playing the run, and has enough speed and fluidity to turn and round with receivers. He plays a lot bigger than what he is, which is something I like. You can never have enough corners in today's NFL.
    Wicked,

This is a great mock draft and I'd be pretty happy if it turned out this way. I just have a couple of questions for you:

(1) Do you really think Khaseem Greene would fall to the end of the 3rd round (some mocks had him even being picked at the end of the 1st round)? And wouldn't Sio Moore or Bostic be better and more realistic values here (and I think they are younger too) if either is available?

(2) Jordan Mills in the 4th rather than Chris Faulk. I know Faulk is recovering from a knee injury but if he is healthy, what is your rationale for Mills over Faulk as a LT?

Other than those questions, I like this mock alot!

Nice job. In the end the Ravens have enough picks that they could move up if needed. Oz has a track record of dealing.

Guys I like with the first pick are Allen and Hopkins. Not sure I would spend that pick on a LB or S.

I like Fragel and Quessenberry.

I like the idea of taking a flyer on Mauti of PSU.

In the end it is about getting value for your picks and Ozzie and his staff have been good at doing that. This year IMO the stakes are higher because they need 2-3 guys to have a major impact this season.

Blog Entries

I like it. I have to read up on Jordan Mills more but thats basically the same spot i have them taking a T or some type.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I'm making my final 7 round mock draft next Sunday... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Lol. I think you are gonna nail it Bc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    . I really like Graham and Chykie and our other young CBs, but Slay in my opinion could potential start for many years to come. I felt that Graham and Chykie were getting picked on in the playoffs after teams got some tape.
    Agree on Brown. He was a liability down the stretch and missed some pivotal tackles. Disagree on Graham. I don't remember him getting picked on much at all throughout the stretch run. When there were important pass plays going against us over the final 4-5 regular season games and the postseason, it was usually against Pollard, Reed, or Brown...or occasionally Cary Williams.

Blog Entries

Quinton Patton has a chance to be a good NFL receiver. There was a game he had against Texas A&M that was just amazing. He just took over the LA Tech offense. Very much like a Derrick Mason in his prime. I'd be very happy to get him in that spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I have to read up on Jordan Mills more...

Strengths
    Mills has tremendous size and power in his upper and lower body. Mills is always hustling, and doesn't stop working until the whistle blows. He shows good awareness on stunts and sells play action passes very well. Mills has a very good first step. Takes a powerful inside step to cut off defenders. Showcases this step and balance on seal and reach blocks. Coordinated, with a good pass set.
    Weaknesses
    Inconsistent in his aiming point. Will grab outside of the chest plate, which will result in holding calls. Mills isn't very quick off the snap, and can be beaten almost instantaneously because of this. Mills can also be found lunging at his blocks too often. Never played left tackle.
    NFL Comparison
    Michael Oher
    yeah not as thrilled with that one. Curious do you have him going before Faulk?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Wicked,

This is a great mock draft and I'd be pretty happy if it turned out this way. I just have a couple of questions for you:

(1) Do you really think Khaseem Greene would fall to the end of the 3rd round (some mocks had him even being picked at the end of the 1st round)? And wouldn't Sio Moore or Bostic be better and more realistic values here (and I think they are younger too) if either is available?

(2) Jordan Mills in the 4th rather than Chris Faulk. I know Faulk is recovering from a knee injury but if he is healthy, what is your rationale for Mills over Faulk as a LT?

Other than those questions, I like this mock alot!
    First, thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback.

To answer your questions:
    (1) I do think Khaseem Greene could fall a bit. Not because he isn't a good player, he is, but I am predicting a big run on receivers, RB's, and offensive linemen in the 2nd round. So, I think guys like Greene and Bostic could slide down into the 3rd round. Sio Moore, as per my board, was not available. I actually had him going earlier to the Titans, IIRC. However, Bostic was available. I like Bostic as a prospect, but I don't think he is anywhere near the athlete that Greene is. I'm actually pretty conservative when it comes to draft prospects, and Bostic would be more of my tendency, but I think Greene is just an exceptional player, leader, and athlete. He was Rutger's defense and that D was pretty damn good the last few years.

(2) I like Chris Faulk, but after watching some LSU games with him at LT...he doesn't scream LT to me. Honestly, Jordan Mills doesn't exactly scream LT to me either, but I think Mills is lighter on his feet than Faulk and I really REALLY like the aggressiveness Mills brings to the table. That guy is just flat out mean. I want that kind of mentality on the Ravens OL because KO is mean, Yanda is mean, Oher has some mean streak to him, and even Gino Gradkowski is pretty feisty. I want my OL to be nasty and tough as nails. I think Mills fits that bill more than Faulk.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
    Nice job. In the end the Ravens have enough picks that they could move up if needed. Oz has a track record of dealing.

Guys I like with the first pick are Allen and Hopkins. Not sure I would spend that pick on a LB or S.

I like Fragel and Quessenberry.

I like the idea of taking a flyer on Mauti of PSU.

In the end it is about getting value for your picks and Ozzie and his staff have been good at doing that. This year IMO the stakes are higher because they need 2-3 guys to have a major impact this season.
    I actually don't know if Fragel will be drafted. He is predominately a RT and there are a lot of RT prospects (or LT prospects who would be better on the right side) in this draft.

I like Quessenberry too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Lol. I think you are gonna nail it Bc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    He always wins these things...Bc is tough competition.