Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Re: If we needed anymore ammo to think the NFL hates us....

Quote Originally Posted by TheHammer52 View Post
    Apparently the NFL is giving the Ravens some kind of BS consolation prize by "allowing" Baltimore to host the pre-game festivities before the game starts in Denver. What's next, a victory parade without the players? This is nothing more than a consolation prize but more importantly a means to show up MLB. I have absolutely no interest in attending. In fact, it would be hilarious if no one attended and NBC was forced to air it.
    Watch it pour down rain that day and cancel the festivities...and the Orioles game.

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    I completely agree with this. Loads of time to prepare, and extra time to recover afterward. It comes as close to neutralizing the "road" part of "road game" as we could ask for. It's a blessing in disguise.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Basically, I can't fault the Orioles because honestly, no one could figure out how to make two games happen within a few hours of each other. Logistically, having two stadiums side by side just doesn't match up well for those occasions. What I would hope...is that going forward, NFL and MLB can work together when they make their scheduled to make sure these "potential overlaps" don't occur, at least for teams that logistically have stadiums in the same general areas.
    Thats all you can ask for really.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Right, and just like with the Scientology/South Park thing, the only time that Family Guy got an episode yanked was when it made fun of Jews. Nevermind the fact that they heavily make fun of Christianity, and nobody blinks an eye.
    They just pulled a Family Guy episode last week because of a Boston Marathon joke. Networks always panic.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's a bad expectation, IMO.

We're a small market team. 4 prime time games is about what I expected.
    I think it has less to do with market size and more to do with politics. People seem to forget that you have to balance the network distribution with primetime games, and that, from the business standpoint, you can't just say "sorry CBS, but we're gonna stick all of these really awesome matchups in primetime on other networks, sucks to be you!" So, for example, while you could definitely justify a Ravens-Texans early season primetime game, you can't take the Ravens' games with New England, Denver, Houston, AND the Thanksgiving night Steelers game away from CBS and hand them to NBC.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    I think it has less to do with market size and more to do with politics. People seem to forget that you have to balance the network distribution with primetime games, and that, from the business standpoint, you can't just say "sorry CBS, but we're gonna stick all of these really awesome matchups in primetime on other networks, sucks to be you!" So, for example, while you could definitely justify a Ravens-Texans early season primetime game, you can't take the Ravens' games with New England, Denver, Houston, AND the Thanksgiving night Steelers game away from CBS and hand them to NBC.
    I said earlier that I thought they might be keeping one of our late season games in reserve as a possible flex but I can see this being the case as well. Can't imagine CBS would be to happy being left with our games with the likes of Cleveland and Cincy and Buffalo etc. They've got to have their share of marquee games too. Just like I'd bet Fox fought hard to keep the Green Bay game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    I don't think you're seeing the forest through the trees here.

I agree with everything you said, but that's not the end game. While the networks have some input into what games they can keep, in the end, the league determines matchups, when to how them and on what network (when they're not in conference games).

The league is going to schedule games that will maximize profits first. Satisfying the networks is a secondary concern.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't think you're seeing the forest through the trees here.

I agree with everything you said, but that's not the end game. While the networks have some input into what games they can keep, in the end, the league determines matchups, when to how them and on what network (when they're not in conference games).

The league is going to schedule games that will maximize profits first. Satisfying the networks is a secondary concern.
    Disregarding the wishes of half of your partners entirely (and the two that pay the most money for broadcast rights, I believe) isn't exactly a good way of maximizing profits. ;)

I don't think we're really disagreeing either, but making sure CBS and Fox aren't getting totally shafted in the distribution of nationally broadcast games is a big part of how these schedules get made up. CBS already knows they're losing three marquee matchups involving the Ravens, and could definitely lose the Ravens-Bengals Week 17 game if the division rides on the outcome, so there's just no way the league is going to take Ravens-Texans from them too. Likewise, Ravens-Packers could easily be a Sunday or Monday night game, but Fox already doesn't get the defending champions much as it is, so there's no way in hell they want to give up that one.

Blog Entries

The Ravevs vs Texans is a really under appreciated rivalry IMO. This pretty much started in 2010 on Monday night football in one of the best games of that season, we ended up winning in OT thanks to a Josh Wilson pick 6. This continued into 2011 when we pretty much dismantled them in the regular season, then only just came out with a win in the play offs, then they finally got their first win over Baltimore and demolished us last season, I actually would have liked to see what would have happened in the AFCCG against Houston instead of NE, but Houston for whatever reason seem to melt down in the most important part of the season.

Who knows what will happen this year, but they should try and promote this game more, and it deserves way more recognition then it gets IMO.