Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Kiper says it will be either Cyprien or Elam in first round for Ravens

Says the most popular names mentioned won't be there, ie,
    Minter, TEO and Ogletree.

Cyprien and Elam should be there. Elam would be a great choice for SS and team with Huff.

Vacarro would be perfect but will probably be gone.

I think Elam will be gone but would love to see him.

In his latest mock draft, Kiper currently has the Ravens taking Elam. The hard hitting defender is best suited as a strong safety, said Ravens Director of College Scouting Joe Hortiz, which would make him a good player to pair with the recently-signed Huff.

Cyprien was a free safety in college who was a strong defender in the passing game and could also come up to defend the run.

“You have no problem with him playing the run at the line of scrimmage, but he’s also got the range to work on the back end,” Hortiz said

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...a-5f2222bd6513

Re: Kiper says it will be either Cyprien or Elam in first round for Ravens

Cyprien is better all round than Elam

Blog Entries

Yea, he's great in cover or up vs the run but the Eagles might take him. They worked out every Safety in the draft. They need one. It would be ironic because we were worried about them drafting Jimmy Smith above us but took an o-lineman, I think, dropping Jimmy to us.
    There's a reason why they always choke while Jimmy won the SB for us at the end.

Both these guys will probably be gone as well as those linebackers in which case Oz will trade down for extra picks unless he covets someone like WR Patton whom McShay has us drafting.

http://gcobb.com/2013/01/28/safety-j...ty-for-eagles/
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-09-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Cyprien is better all round than Elam
    I don't agree with that, or at least I don't think it's an easily settled issue. Cyprien is a good player and I like him a lot but he's a little harder to project to the pro's because he played 90% of his snaps in a pretty basic zone Cover-2 shell. At the NFL level he's going to need to play man-free, Cover-1 zone, Cover-3 zone, quarters, etc. and he has no experience with any of those defensive alignments from his college days. We have no idea if he can drop down into the slot and cover in man, or if he can help over the top with man under, because he didn't do those things much at the college level and his instincts/recognition are very raw at this point in his career.

Elam on the other hand has experience in an NFL-style defense. We know he can handle different responsibilities that Cyprien has no experience with because Florida used a lot of advanced coverage concepts in both man and zone. They used Elam in the box a lot but also dropped him into deep single high coverage at times. I think his recognition, instincts, and awareness are all superior to Cyprien at this time.

COULD Cyprien turn out to be a better pro than Elam? He definitely could, but I don't think the evidence is really there just yet. I really don't think you're going to go wrong with either of those 2 guys, they're pretty close overall, but Elam is more ready to play now and a little bit more proven. I would probably call them 1a and 1b at worst, but I personally like Elam a bit better.

Well, cool, I'd just as soon have Cyprien or Elam before Minter or Te'o.

But also, did Kiper talk about any WR's? Seems like if there's an early run on the top ILBs then it seems quite possible a decent WR will fall...

Re: Cyprien- Gregg Cosell "really really" likes him. Gushes about him. From game tape Cyprien did have a Ed Reed-esque interception against Louisville where he went from the middle of the field to the sideline to catch the ball.
    Last edited by ursula; 04-09-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah I'm sold on Cyprien.

NFL Films' Greg Cosell could see FIU's Johnathan Cyprien becoming the best S "in this draft class three or four years down the road."
    Yes. Cyprien has been a section favorite since prior to the Senior Bowl, where he showed more range than was allowed at FIU due to his role as primarily a strong safety. "Even as a deep defender, Cyprien showed a very smooth back pedal, with the ability to plant and drive with burst and speed," Cosell writes. "I must admit I did not expect that. And his range as a single high safety, with his size and stride length, was outstanding."

Blog Entries

Mel Kiper is terrible. Seriously out of all the main stream draftniks, Mel Kiper is my least favourite out of the bunch. He just goes with national perception and occasionally adds in some random surprise player into the conversation. I highly doubt he looks at film in the way a Greg Cosell looks at it.

Not saying I know any better, but I seriously doubt that Minter, Te'o, and Ogletree all go in the first round. When was the last time three ILBs got drafted in the first round? Ogletree is the most likely to go in the first round, but Minter (even though I like him) and Te'o are drastically overrated, and I can't see them going that high, I see them both going in the 2nd round. Cyprien has a much better chance of going higher than any of those guys, and I think he will.

I do see Cyprien being gone before 32, but I think if they sign Mcclain they may look to mvoe up 4 or 5 spots if he's in that range to grab him
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

???

Kiper is most definitely not terrible. In fact he's one of the best in the business of being a draftnik. He's one of the best because he nails more picks right than almost everyone else:

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/scoring/mockdrafts.shtml

Kiper is a top-5 draftnik. He really knows his business. And his business is not exactly the same business that Greg Cosell is in. Cosell is more of a pure talent evaluator, much like Mike Mayock. Neither Mayock or Cosell, both of whom are better at evaluating players, is as good as Kiper at predicting where and by whom the players wil be drafted. Beast ,I would say on this spectrum you are more like a Mayock or Cosell than a Kiper.

So is Kiper right about what he's saying about the ILBs? Probably not exactly two and a half weeks before the draft starts since teams are stil evaluating some and no doubt there will be trades to mess up all mocks some. But what he's saying now, 2 1/2 weeks out, is that he's hearing a trend about the ILBs and he's sticking his neck out about it. That these ILBs like say Te'o are overrated is almost beside the point if a team still fucks up and bites on him. Teams overrate players every year.

He will change his mock still and he has the right to, but he's reporting what he's hearing and there's some logic to what he's saying. Minnesota, Green Bay, and Chicago have all been strongly linked towards picking an ILB in round 1. Texas, St Louis and the Giants have also been mocked an ILB by more than one major mocker who isn't named Mel Kiper Jr. So Kiper is at this point predicting a run on the top ILBs.

The most surprising thing about this ILB run that Kiper is Minter being picked before #32 because there are few mocks that have him picked before we pick, weather we pick him or not. Minter has rarely been mocked higher than 32.

One final thing: that Mat Elam pick for the Ravens is coming up more and more on the most recent mocks. Kiper there is reflecting a trend there.

Blog Entries

Ditto.

I'll try to find it but I saw a link where a guy reviewed all Mel's draft picks between 2007-2009 and said he did pretty well.

He gave Ravens a B for the Oher draft because we got Webb who turned out to be the 2d best player in that draft just as Kiper predicted.

Blog Entries

Peter King:

"At 32, Baltimore would love a physical safety to play alongside free-agent acquisition Michael Huff, but it could be that all three big safeties here (Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam and Jonathan Cyprien) are all gone, and a tight end they love, Tyler Eifert, is gone too. Alec Ogletree wouldn’t surprise here, but the guy I gave them in my mock draft is someone I haven’t seen anyone else put in the first round. It’s that kind of year in mock draft-land."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Peter King:

"At 32, Baltimore would love a physical safety to play alongside free-agent acquisition Michael Huff, but it could be that all three big safeties here (Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam and Jonathan Cyprien) are all gone, and a tight end they love, Tyler Eifert, is gone too. Alec Ogletree wouldn’t surprise here, but the guy I gave them in my mock draft is someone I haven’t seen anyone else put in the first round. It’s that kind of year in mock draft-land."

Now HERE is an awful NFL "journalist". I don't really trust anything that King says, and that's only if you can find some NFL related items amongst his complaints about hotels and personal notes addressed to his distant relations. Here he's saying "who knows who the Ravens will take? I don't!"

For the record, I'd be very happy with either Elam or Cyprien at 32. If neither of them are there, I'd prefer to wait and take another safety at the bottom of the 2nd rather than reach for Eric Reid et al.