Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Kiper says it will be either Cyprien or Elam in first round for Ravens

Is Kiper still sticking with Cyprien?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Hard to imagine all three of Vaccaro, Elam, and Cyprien all being gone by the time we pick. Plus Eifert gone as well. Then again King wil be predicting that we take someone who no one is mocking to us which then leaves out any ILB (though he suggests Ogletree would be available) or let's see OTs Watson or Pugh or the WR's Allen, Hunter, or Hopkins, or even Woods (who I've seen mocked to us as well.) He has Patterson going to the Niners.

Since King won't have us trading down that leaves um DL, or CB...I'm guessing that he will say a CB. Trufant? Hayden? I saw Datone Jones being mocked to us by someone the other day but maybe it is him. Or Werner or Jesse Williams. Or there's this old rumor from Walter football:

March 25: "League sources have told WalterFootball.com that they think the Ravens could be targeting John Jenkins in the first round." - Charlie Campbell
    King also says that 4 QBs will be taken by 41 (Geno, Barkeley, Nasib, Manuel) and with him having Geno picked fairly early that means the top of the 2nd round teams wil be picking QBs. Now I don't know about you, biut I just can't see the likes of Buffalo or Arizona just waiting passively in round two to se which QBs are remaining. The likelihood of them trading UP seems almost overwhelming if just Geno is taken early and you would think the Ravens, Patriots, and the Packers being the most likely trading partners. King does hint that Buffalo could well trade up, my gues is to Green Bay.

To be fair King says at the beginning of his piece that his mock is definitely wrong. He knows it even before we mock him for being wrong.

With Kiper having us pick those guys, means that we are picking someone completely different.

However looking at the roster (which I assume he did to come to this conclusion), if there isn't a LT we like and with us picking McClain and all of those D linemen, Safety is like the final piece opposite Huff. What I find ironic is that Ihedibo started for the Pats, correct? He's better in coverage than Pollard from what I gather, so I don't understand why he's being pushed to the side on the other starting safety position by most media members.

I don't see the Ravens having any pressure to pick a given position in any round based on the offseason and the young talent already here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    With Kiper having us pick those guys, means that we are picking someone completely different.

However looking at the roster (which I assume he did to come to this conclusion), if there isn't a LT we like and with us picking McClain and all of those D linemen, Safety is like the final piece opposite Huff. What I find ironic is that Ihedibo started for the Pats, correct? He's better in coverage than Pollard from what I gather, so I don't understand why he's being pushed to the side on the other starting safety position by most media members.

I don't see the Ravens having any pressure to pick a given position in any round based on the offseason and the young talent already here.
    I dont think ihedibo is someone you want starting....starting the worst pass defense in NFL history isnt a positive.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I dont think ihedibo is someone you want starting....starting the worst pass defense in NFL history isnt a positive.

I agree, and honestly, I think he'll just be a depth player and someone you bring in for certain packages, and yes, there absolutely is value to that in today's league, but he isn't a starter on a defense like this IMO, and he is certainly not getting paid like one. I think its almost certain that the Ravens pick a safety in the first three rounds somewhere who will likely end up starting at strong safety.

Agreed, like Leach said he'll be valuable for some packages, but we need a guy playing SS who can hit with at least some pass coverage skills (Cyprien or Elam both fit this)
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Ah, I forgot it was that particular defense, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Ah, I forgot it was that particular defense, nevermind.
    That defense wasn't nearly as bad as the rankings indicate. They were way ahead a lot of the time and let up a TON of garbage yards. It wasn't a great defense, but the stats were affected by an oversampling of prevent defense situations. They finished facing like the 3rd most pass attempts and also finished with the 2nd most Interceptions.

Of course, Belichick decided to release Ihedigbo very late in the 2012 preseason in favor of Gregory, which looks pretty bad for Ihedigbo. Then again, Gregory played terribly, and now has been replaced by Adrian Wilson. So maybe New England has other issues in scheme and talent evaluation when it comes to DBs.

Ihedigbo player pretty well when he was in there for us last year. I wouldn't be up in arms if he started for us. And I certainly do not think a 3rd+ round draft pick necessarily will be any better from Day 1. Obviously if we draft one of the handful of true studs, early in the draft, I think it is very safe to say Ihedigbo is relegated to back-up depth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    That defense wasn't nearly as bad as the rankings indicate. They were way ahead a lot of the time and let up a TON of garbage yards. It wasn't a great defense, but the stats were affected by an oversampling of prevent defense situations. They finished facing like the 3rd most pass attempts and also finished with the 2nd most Interceptions.

Of course, Belichick decided to release Ihedigbo very late in the 2012 preseason in favor of Gregory, which looks pretty bad for Ihedigbo. Then again, Gregory played terribly, and now has been replaced by Adrian Wilson. So maybe New England has other issues in scheme and talent evaluation when it comes to DBs.

Ihedigbo player pretty well when he was in there for us last year. I wouldn't be up in arms if he started for us. And I certainly do not think a 3rd+ round draft pick necessarily will be any better from Day 1. Obviously if we draft one of the handful of true studs, early in the draft, I think it is very safe to say Ihedigbo is relegated to back-up depth.
    The safety class is that deep, that you could probably find a day 1 starter in the early portion of the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The safety class is that deep, that you could probably find a day 1 starter in the early portion of the 3rd round.
    I agree, and I don't think Ihedigbo would definitely win a fight for the starting job between him and any one of Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas, TJ McDonald, Tony Jefferson, or Earl Wolff--all of whom should be around in the 2nd and later.

I like Vaccaro, Elam, and Cyprien, but after Vaccaro there's not a ton of separation between the next 5 or 6 prospects. The best "value" picks for me are Phillip Thomas in the 3rd, TJ McDonald in the 4th, and Tony Jefferson and Earl Wolff in the 5th. I think all of those guys could very well be better values than Elam or Cyprien in the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't really dispute that. But unless we move up, our 3rd round pick is closer to a 4th rounder than early 3rd.

And again, Ihedigbo is already known to be an 'acceptable' Day 1 starter. Maybe not a great or even very good starter, but a starter. Because we started him last year when we had to, and we thought his performance was good enough to be re-signed.

In a perfect world he is depth and we start someone better, but he would suffice. I am not so sure that is the case at LT, or RT, etc, depending on shuffling. I am also not so sure that is the case with Doss as #2 WR, but who knows?

Either way we will be drafting a safety (to start or for depth and/or the future). I am just not so sure the guy will beat out Ihedigbo unless he is one of the top few studs, but we'll see.