Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's correct. If you buy a gun online, you have to find a dealer in your area with a Federal Firearms License ("FFL") to which the weapon can be sent. Once you make the online purchase, the seller will ship to that dealer only upon verification of their FFL. When you your weapon arrives, you have to produce ID proving the gun can then be handed off to you. Most FFL dealers will charge you a fee on top of whatever you purchased for the firearm.
    I was wondering if the media is perpetuating a falsehood by saying there is a loophole with online purchases, which they are, UNLESS, there are any states where you don't have to produce a permit for the gun you are buying.

Here in NC, the only gun I know you have to produce a permit for is a handgun, whether you buy it online and then pick it up form the dealer or buy directly from the dealer. I would imagine that's the case for every state.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I was wondering if the media is perpetuating a falsehood by saying there is a loophole with online purchases, which they are, UNLESS, there are any states where you don't have to produce a permit for the gun you are buying.

Here in NC, the only gun I know you have to produce a permit for is a handgun, whether you buy it online and then pick it up form the dealer or buy directly from the dealer. I would imagine that's the case for every state.
    I know that is the case for a handgun in MD, unsure about a long gun.
    IT was enough of a hurdle, that i had no interest in buying either of my handguns on line. It's jsut a personal preference to me that it is "poor form" to buy a handgun online and pay my LOCAL gunstore only a token fee to file the FFL paperwork. It wasn't worth the roughly $50 in total savings to be the cheapo that wouldn't support his local retailer over 10% or less fo the purchase price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I know that is the case for a handgun in MD, unsure about a long gun.
    IT was enough of a hurdle, that i had no interest in buying either of my handguns on line. It's jsut a personal preference to me that it is "poor form" to buy a handgun online and pay my LOCAL gunstore only a token fee to file the FFL paperwork. It wasn't worth the roughly $50 in total savings to be the cheapo that wouldn't support his local retailer over 10% or less fo the purchase price.
    To be honest, I haven't found it a savings at all. Most stores are going to charge $50 just for being the middle man, after the online store raises the price the advertise because you're not paying cash, you end up paying more...

I think they are calling it a loop hole in the sense that the background check for the purchase would be dependent on the state from which the weapon was purchased. I don't think it has to do with permitting.

To be honest, I haven't found it a savings at all. Most stores are going to charge $50 just for being the middle man, after the online store raises the price the advertise because you're not paying cash, you end up paying more...
    Yeah. From an economic standpoint, I never understood buying a weapon online. As you pointed out, it doesn't make sense.

I'd only consider it if I knew the weapon well or it was a collectors piece.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yeah. From an economic standpoint, I never understood buying a weapon online. As you pointed out, it doesn't make sense.

I'd only consider it if I knew the weapon well or it was a collectors piece.
    If I could NOT fidn what I was lookign for lcally, I would consider it. And not in the "glocks are scarce right now" sense. More along the lines of somethign being rare, etc, not well ditributed. If I were to say, want a Red Jacket piston drive AR, I would first go to a few locl gunshops, and see if they could orde it wholesale for me, and would agree to the direct from manufacturer pricing, plus fee. IF they could order it wholesale and profit mroe then the fee then obvioulsy I would do it that way. If they ordered it at the same price as I could, then I would certainly order it and have it shipped to them to do the FFl paperwork.