Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 4 Gay Players Might Come Out

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    :word

If people who are gay, and people who want people who are gay to stop being treated as if it's taboo, than stop making news about being gay as if it's some big fucking deal.

Geez.... you're gay, so what? Now go tackle that guy, go home and be with who you love like everyone else regardless of sexual preference.
    you know its not that easy. perception is there arent gays in the NFL and they wouldnt be welcomed if they are. So in changing Taboo "coming out" is the only way to actually change that otherwise some will continue to believe that they simply arent or cant be there. Some day hopefully the approach is what you have stated but currently it wouldnt do anything.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    you know its not that easy. perception is there arent gays in the NFL and they wouldnt be welcomed if they are. So in changing Taboo "coming out" is the only way to actually change that otherwise some will continue to believe that they simply arent or cant be there. Some day hopefully the approach is what you have stated but currently it wouldnt do anything.
    I am more talking about the approach to "coming out". If you're gay be gay, be seen with your partner in public and just let it be. People will find out... if you're a private person and don't want people to know your personal life whether or straight or gay, than don't do that.

But arranging a coming out party to me is just the wrong way to do it. I think you'd likely turn off just as many people (not that you're gay but with how you did it) as you would have other people applauding it.

Blog Entries

I am more talking about the approach to "coming out". If you're gay be gay, be seen with your partner in public and just let it be. People will find out... if you're a private person and don't want people to know your personal life whether or straight or gay, than don't do that.

But arranging a coming out party to me is just the wrong way to do it. I think you'd likely turn off just as many people (not that you're gay but with how you did it) as you would have other people applauding it.
    I dont think its a choice. its going to be a spectacle regardless. Much like Jackie Robinson just played baseball (but obviously couldnt hide that he was black), the subject itself makes it impossible to just "be".
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont think its a choice. its going to be a spectacle regardless. Much like Jackie Robinson just played baseball (but obviously couldnt hide that he was black), the subject itself makes it impossible to just "be".
    We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess.

If there is nothing wrong with something, you don't go making a big deal out it. When you do, it calls attention to it and makes people go, "why did they do that, what's wrong with X?"

The media calls attebtion and makes a big deal out of it. Just like Ayanbadejo got asked questions in certainn ways to get a story yesterday; a la "Nfl player claims he hasn't beaten his wife for over 2 years" It is a story and will be one until several players comeout. Then the media will create some other story line to pursue.. Smart to have several guys come out at once. The union seems to be doing well here for a change.

I hope they come out. The repercussions of this extend far beyond just the gay community. How many kids are beaten up on the playground and called, "faggot" while it's happening? I remember in middle school we used to have a game called "Smear the Queer" where basically we singled out one kid who was "different" and all tried to tackle/chase him around.

If FOOTBALL PLAYERS, the manliest, toughest men possible, come out and say it's ok to be gay, that it's ok to be different - it's just in general a great positive step towards creating a general culture of acceptance, rather than one of exclusivity and terrorized conformity.

Blog Entries

Isn't it a safe bet at this point that Ayanbadejo is gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Isn't it a safe bet at this point that Ayanbadejo is gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that...
    You're on. $50,000.00 says he's married with kids. I will send you a link to my paypal account.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    You're on. $50,000.00 says he's married with kids. I will send you a link to my paypal account.
    He could still be gay.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess.

If there is nothing wrong with something, you don't go making a big deal out it. When you do, it calls attention to it and makes people go, "why did they do that, what's wrong with X?"
    Tim Hardaway: "I hate gay people."

Chris Culliver wouldn't accept openly gay teammate.

Garrison Heast: "I don't want any faggots on my team."

I think it's safe to say it's necessary to draw attention to the issue until the public mindset is changed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    Tim Hardaway: "I hate gay people."

Chris Culliver wouldn't accept openly gay teammate.

Garrison Heast: "I don't want any faggots on my team."

I think it's safe to say it's necessary to draw attention to the issue until the public mindset is changed.
    And you think this is the way public mindset is changed?

Blog Entries

And you think this is the way public mindset is changed?
    Yes. Getting used to things is how change works. Just like Jackie Robinson playing baseball didn't turn white people black, or result in the end of the world, so too will finding out that specific NFL players are homosexual won't cause straight people to turn gay, or end the world.

Likewise, the world didn't end when Jews started going to Harvard, or when Catholics and Protestants were allowed to intermarry. But it took people being out there in front of it, publicly and openly, for attitudes to begin changing. People didn't all just shrug their shoulders at once and say 'OK."

It shouldn't matter, but it does, because people who hate homosexuals make it matter. They make it matter by physically assaulting, threatening and generally treating them horribly. Homosexuals have been forced into hiding for centuries, and in many societies today. If it weren't for all of THAT, then no they wouldn't need to publicly "come out."

The fact that people feel like this is being "shoved in their faces" shows that those people prefer to keep it like it was -- they want their gays in the closet. The gays, however, are tired of staying there, and I don't blame them. If I had to hide my wife everywhere I went and not tell anyone I was married or go to a restaurant with her without worrying whether some skinhead asshole was going to break a bottle over my head, I'd get pretty fucking tired of it too. And at some point, I think people of like persuasion would be sorely tempted to get together and say you know what, screw this, we're not living like this anymore.

Pretty much what happens when socieities systematically marginalize groups of people, or worse. Is it any wonder that Israel, for example, defends itself so aggressively? When you put up with as much shit as they have, you kind of stop caring what other people think, and do what you need to do, to be who you are and not have to take other people's shit about it.