Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Erm, why? Harbaugh doesn't call plays on either side of the ball, he's not some schematic guru who has built a roster and made top draft picks specifically to play his scheme, his record of picking coordinators is dodgy at best, and the Ravens are a premier organization. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but let's not pretend that the Ravens would have a difficult time getting someone who could have similar success under the circumstances if they decided they want to go a new route.
    Laughable. Guy masterfully steered this team to 5 straight playoff runs, 3 AFC Championship games, a fucking SUPER BOWL, the second highest active winning percentage (and 11th highest all time) and you blithely suggest that it's because he's what? Lucky?

And replaceable? Give me a fucking break.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Laughable. Guy masterfully steered this team to 5 straight playoff runs, 3 AFC Championship games, a fucking SUPER BOWL, the second highest active winning percentage (and 11th highest all time) and you blithely suggest that it's because he's what? Lucky?

He never said it was due to luck. He just said that he brings no special acumen to the table as a HC on either side of the ball. He doesn't get involved in scheming for opponents. He doesn't call plays. So what does he offer that makes him irreplaceable?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    He never said it was due to luck. He just said that he brings no special acumen to the table as a HC on either side of the ball. He doesn't get involved in scheming for opponents. He doesn't call plays. So what does he offer that makes him irreplaceable?
    He gets the right people in the right places and provides whatever it is they need to succeed. True leadership at the HC level is not easily seen or defined - it show up in W's and L's.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post

We're jumping the thread a little bit, and I don't know if "lucky" is the word I'd use, but conversely what exactly makes him irreplaceable? His innovative schemes? Masterful ability to acquire talent? A great feel for hiring coordinators? I mean, I think he's a good administrator and head coach who's a good fit for the Ravens organization as it's structured, but we're not talking about a unique coaching talent by any means (and yes, I would say that his dogged dedication to keeping Cameron so long did indeed hurt the Ravens at the margins over the past few seasons). Heck, the guys not even the best coach in his own family.

If putting together a successful team were simply about having a good OC and DC and a faceless puppet as HC, more teams would be successful. There has to be something that Harbaugh does really well that makes him a much better coach then say Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini or the countless other coaches who are good at calling plays but suck at managing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    If putting together a successful team were simply about having a good OC and DC and a faceless puppet as HC, more teams would be successful. There has to be something that Harbaugh does really well that makes him a much better coach then say Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini or the countless other coaches who are good at calling plays but suck at managing teams.
    I really want to make it clear that my whole line of reasoning there was really meant to be that I think Harbaugh is too good of a coach to do something so petty, i.e. that the story being presented just doesn't strike me as credible. The "replaceable" bit was a sort of "how would you act if you were this guy's boss" query. I wasn't trying to say Harbaugh isn't a good head coach or imply the Ravens should get rid of him.

And the comment was also made in the context of assuming (for the sake of argument) that he's the sort of coach who is agitating to shut the door completely, no matter how right the price is, on a player like Ed Reed simply because he can't handle a veteran who doesn't just shut up all of the time.

Yes, John Harbaugh hated Reed so much, that Ravens made offerS to Ed Reed. See Gregg Rosenthal's article on nfl.com. He acknowledge there were offers and that the offers reach the conclusion that the Ravens did not "value him".

Sorry, this is BS story created by one Mike Preston...who we should all be concerned because he thinks the Ravens are back into contention.

Does anyone really think anyone inside the castle is going to give Preston insider info? It's not like he is on Twitter breaking news like Aaron Wilson does. Mike Preston and Skip Bayless use the same playbook.

Blog Entries

He's a head coach. A very good one.

Being the head coach is a much different job than being a coordinator. I was glad when they picked a guy with a special teams background because he'd be less tempted to try and take over whatever side of the ball he's comfortable with when things go bad- and a head coach can't spend time when the "other unit" is on the field to figure out what changes are needed. That's why (imo) Billick was a much more dynamic playcaller in Minnesota than he ever was here- or allowed anyone else to be.

Harbaugh's gotten better at the job, too. I don't think he's as easily replaced as some would have it.

For me, when I heard Harbaugh quoted as having said: "We didn't come this far to play not to lose", I believe he'd really evolved as a head coach. I wasn't really high -- or low -- on him. I felt he was a better coach than a speaker in pressers, and that was okay with me. But once I heard him say what I believe is the master key to winning in the NFL, I put any other questions aside and concluded he's the kind of coach I want running the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    We're jumping the thread a little bit, and I don't know if "lucky" is the word I'd use, but conversely what exactly makes him irreplaceable? His innovative schemes? Masterful ability to acquire talent? A great feel for hiring coordinators? I mean, I think he's a good administrator and head coach who's a good fit for the Ravens organization as it's structured, but we're not talking about a unique coaching talent by any means (and yes, I would say that his dogged dedication to keeping Cameron so long did indeed hurt the Ravens at the margins over the past few seasons). Heck, the guys not even the best coach in his own family.
    Are you fucking kidding me? In the Super Bowl he told Ed Reed the exact play that the 49ers were about to call the play before Ed got his interception. Lo and behold Ed Reed gets a pic.

Some of y'all on this thread right now are delusional. 3 AFC Championship games in 5 years and a Super Bowl and he isn't even the best coach in his own family? AFTER he beat his brother in the Super Bowl? Come on man stop being ignorant. Harbaugh is the best coach in Ravens history (I know it's a short history) and he lives in the playoffs. He's not a scout, yet he fits his players into the schemes provided by his coaches.