Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Who will be the first 2013 ravens free agent free agent cut by his new team?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Ellerbe. He was a ho-hum performer in a well coached defense surrounded by three former DPOYs. He is likely to be exposed in Miami.
    I think Reed will retire after next year, so technically, he will be the first, but I agree...

Ellerbe's base salary is $6 Million+ after this coming season, and his signing bonus is not outrageous ($7 Million total spread over the 5 years). I think he will not last beyond 2014. His 2015 base salary is $8.425 Million, and to cut him in that prior offseason (between 2014 & 2015) would accelerate only a $4.2 Million cap hit.

Re: Who will be the first 2013 ravens free agent free agent cut by his new team?

Would not surprise me at all to see Reed last only one year with Houston and then get cut. If he wasn't named Ed Reed, Ravens fans would have been up in arms over his performance here the last couple of seasons, when you factor in all the missed tackles and so on.

I agree that Kruger, Ellerbe, and Williams will probably all last at least three years into their deals.

Blog Entries

Ed Reed is the most likely just because it is going to be hard for them to move forward and justify paying a 36/37 year old $5 mill per season.

However, I think Cary Williams could get axed. Especially if the Eagles figure out their secondary a bit better under Chip Kelly. Cary is horribly overrated. He may have been the most overrated Raven this past season. That guy was the king of giving up 1st down after 1st down. He had some nice INT's down the stretch and he certainly was a contributor, but man...QB's would just pick on him ALL day.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo726 View Post
    Hi,

I have been a reader for years, but this is my post. I´m from Mexico, so excuse me if my english is bad some times.

Every year teams around the league overpay for Ravens free agents. Many times, one or two years later, teams cut them (Adalius Thomas, D. Landry, Dwane Edwards, Ovie Mugelli, T Zbikowbski, etc).

Who will be the firs one to get cut of the 2013 group, and in which year?
    1st things 1st- welcome! Pretty cool to see the Ravens influence reaching into new markets and new countries.

2nd, good question. I would agree with others that Reed will be the first one cut due to his age and declining skills. I agree with Wicked that Cary Williams could also be a one year guy in Philly, but my money is still on Reed. I think Ellerbe and Kruger will not deliver on their expectations, but I expect their new teams to give both of them at least 2 seasons to deliver on expectations. I don't expect Reed to be a Texan at the start of the 2014 season. Enjoy the draft!
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo726 View Post
    Hi,

I have been a reader for years, but this is my post. I´m from Mexico, so excuse me if my english is bad some times.

Every year teams around the league overpay for Ravens free agents. Many times, one or two years later, teams cut them (Adalius Thomas, D. Landry, Dwane Edwards, Ovie Mugelli, T Zbikowbski, etc).

Who will be the firs one to get cut of the 2013 group, and in which year?
    The answer is Dannell Ellerbe and it's not necessarily due to him alone. Their GM, Mr. Ireland, is on the hot seat. This will be Philbin's second year with Tannehill and the team as a whole. If they come out of this season with less than 7 wins, there's a chance the entire house will be cleaned and any GM worth his medal is going to get rid of those overpriced contracts Ireland has been handing out.

Williams is with a new regime and his contract is not that bad. Low expectations, overall, will save him for a year. Paul Kruger would be the next choice, but I'll still go with Ellerbe.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I thought the same on Reed. The Texans brought him in for a 1 time shot at a Super Bowl. They hope his leadership puts them over the top. If not he will not return in 2014.