Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Trade back scenarios for QB needy teams that want to re-enter the back of rd 1

Obviously there is a lot of debate around QB talent. Most seem to not have many (high) 1st round grades on QBs, but because some teams are so desperate they might reach in rd 1. However the more likely result I think is for those teams to trade back into the bottom of round 1. Which could be our chance to get more picks as ammunition. However since we already have 12 we might not be looking for more picks. But I guess it depends on which players we really like and which players are still available, as usual.

Just as a baseline, here are our recent trade backs - shown as pick (value from value chart):
    2012 MINN: our 29 (640) for their 35 (550) and 98 (108) = 18 advantage in pick value
    2010 DEN: our 25 (720) for their 43 (470), 70 (240) and 114 (66) = 56 advantage in pick value

So, here are my most likely scenarios for a team looking to re-enter at the back of rd 1 to get a QB.

1) BUFFALO - our 32 (590) for their 41 (490), 105 (84) and 143 (34.5) = 18.5 advantage in pick value

Yes I am aware Buff just got Kolb, but I think they still have interest in drafting a "franchise" QB. Maybe Nassib.

2) ARIZONA - our 32 (590) for their 38 (520) and 103 (88) = 18 advantage in pick value

Even if they land Carson Palmer they still might be interested in landing a young QB.

In general, we are looking at trading a low 1 for a high 2 and a high 4.

Blog Entries

Re: Trade back scenarios for QB needy teams that want to re-enter the back of rd 1

Teams that could use some of our picks should we acquire more by trading back (e.g. we would have 14-15 picks)

INDY only has picks in 1, 3, 4, 6 and Mr. Irrelevant (5 total). We have a connection with Chuck.

NE only has picks in 1, 2, 3 and 7 (2) (5 total). Not sure if they would trade with us given our ongoing rivalry.

DET has 6 total picks but none in rd 4. Their picks are pretty high in each round.

KC has 7 total picks, but none in rd 2. Plus all of their picks are at the top of the rounds.

Blog Entries

Re: Trade back scenarios for QB needy teams that want to re-enter the back of rd 1

MIA, MINN and SF are loaded with picks in rds. 1-4. I think they each have at least 6 picks in the first four rounds.
    I'm pretty jealous of their picks this year. Especially SF.

I have no clue how we are going to use 12 picks. Of which we can trade 8.

I totally agree that this scenario is pretty likely. The recent QB movement (Kolb/Flynn & likely Palmer) have made it more probable. Too bad Oakland doesn't have a 2nd round pick, as they would be a possible trade partner too. It seems like the draft could pan out to where there isn't that one, great prospect at 32 that should have been drafted much higher (say Olgetree or Vaccaro). Therefore, Ravens could have a number of guys with similar grades and are willing to move back and still get one.

I'd like to see them use some of the extra picks to gain an extra 2nd/3rd rounder. Imagine trading back and having 2 2nds and 2 3rds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Blevins View Post
    ... Too bad Oakland doesn't have a 2nd round pick, as they would be a possible trade partner too...
    Keep in mind that Ozzie, since we have so many picks this year, might opt for a 2014 pick from the Raiders (or any other team for that matter)... Bc

I really hope that the QBs all drop so that it makes our pick more valuable to those at the top of round 2 versus a bunch go and that pushes a player down to us. I would really like to see the Ravens drop down get some more picks. Package those picks up to move up so that they have more picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. Ravens really need to pull around 4-5 starter quality players out of this draft. Not starters in year 1 but solid starters in years 2-5. This is a great draft to do that. All the value is really in rounds 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Keep in mind that Ozzie, since we have so many picks this year, might opt for a 2014 pick from the Raiders (or any other team for that matter)... Bc
    I was thinking this too, maybe pull the Patriots strategy
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Their GM McKenzie says they won't be trading away picks, as that got them in trouble before (true). But, we'll see how well he holds to that claim if every QB is still on the board at 32. That's probably doubtful, but it could happen.

I'd prefer a 2014 pick.

Blog Entries

Whats the chances a team like Jacksonville and Arizona get into a bidding war for our 32 pick and over trade and give us their 3rd rounder?

We'd end up with a high 2nd, our original 2nd, a high 3rd and our original 3rd round pick, plus two 4th round picks. There is a lot of value to be had there. For arguments sake you could come out of the draft with....

Arthur Brown
    Kyle Long
    DJ Swearinger
    Ryan Swope

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Whats the chances a team like Jacksonville and Arizona get into a bidding war for our 32 pick and over trade and give us their 3rd rounder?
    Was thinking this the other day. Would be unrealllll. 6 picks in the first 3 rounds PLUS leverage to move up in the 3rd and 4th. we can all dream
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Was thinking this the other day. Would be unrealllll. 6 picks in the first 3 rounds PLUS leverage to move up in the 3rd and 4th. we can all dream
    That would only be 4 in the first 3 rounds. But given that the talent level with second round grades is about 60 players and will be selected from mid-1 to mid-3, there would be a good opportunity to get 3 2nd round type players in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    That would only be 4 in the first 3 rounds. But given that the talent level with second round grades is about 60 players and will be selected from mid-1 to mid-3, there would be a good opportunity to get 3 2nd round type players in that scenario.
    Hahaha wow... I'm not very bright
    - Ray Lewis