Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Haloti hopes to play inside more...

This goes with my opinion that they are going to play Haloti quite a bit at NT this year.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...3-e9b94d237adb
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: Haloti hopes to play inside more...

Like many others, to me Ngata at NT makes sense. What I wasn't sure about was how he felt about that idea. It's good to know he looks at this positively.

Blog Entries

Haloti...your wish, is John Harbaugh's command!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Finally. Let him dominate centers clog the line and he could easily get 4-8 sacks with edge rushers in Doom and Suggs with QB's having to step up. Like to see him collapse the pocket also from the inside. Playing him outside in a 3-4 made the Ravens slower, speed isnt his game.

“All the space, I just don’t like it because they can read you that much longer,” he said. “I’m good with whatever, but if I have to go play nose or inside more, that would be awesome. I would rather stay inside than outside. That’s where I’m more comfortable.”
    If the ginormous Tongan gentleman from Inglewood is happy, i too am happy lol.

Looks like one trench is fixed. Time to fix the other.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Finally. Let him dominate centers clog the line and he could easily get 4-8 sacks with edge rushers in Doom and Suggs with QB's having to step up. Like to see him collapse the pocket also from the inside. Playing him outside in a 3-4 made the Ravens slower, speed isnt his game.
    Given our current personnel, then yes, put Haloti at NT. He will be very good at it. But my preference is him on the end.

Remember the Steelers opener in 2011? Or the Jets game soon after that? When he and Sizzle are both healthy, he can completely take over a game.

From the NT position that is not his job. Who was the last NT that got 8 sacks? Using him as a space eater devalues his extraordinary athleticism. I'm hoping we are ridiculously multiple this year, and he'll get time all over the line.
    "Chin up, chest out."

He's gonna put alot of pressure on opposing Centers, hopefully we add some more speed at ILB in this draft because we should be a more dangerous A-Gap blitzing team with Ngata in the middle more. I think when poeple look at what we've done they see more losses then gains and they simplify it as that but when you really break it all down...

Ngata @NT is so much of an upgrade

As much as we will miss Ray's leadership and knowledge we wont miss him on the field on 3rd down, it should be a true commitee at ILB where the best fits for packages play in those packages

Huff's @FS brings more range, surer tackling and he's not known to be the gambler Ed is

Upshaw keeping Suggs and Dummervil fresh to pin their ears back in the 4th qtr as well as being able to move Upshaw around(I think he can rush as a 3 tech on passing downs)

Canty bringing what Redding did

Spears being able to keep the other guys fresh

Webb coming back

Mcphee playing more to his strength as a pass rusher

We really could go on and on, even before the draft you can see this D is gonna be much improved

If this becomes reality I'll have to admit i read it completely wrong.

I'll wait until after the draft and when free agency is over before I completely buy this -- for all I know it is a pre-draft smoke screen to hide a DT/NT target with their first pick.

I find it curious that with his history of back issues the last two years that they'd be anxious to put in over the nose where he's going to need to use leverage AND take on double teams.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

I'll wait until after the draft and when free agency is over before I completely buy this -- for all I know it is a pre-draft smoke screen to hide a DT/NT target with their first pick.

I find it curious that with his history of back issues the last two years that they'd be anxious to put in over the nose where he's going to need to use leverage AND take on double teams.

Because he doesn't need leverage or take on double teams where he was....

This was my thought initially with moving him to the nose but when you think about it he's gonna get double teamed wherever they put him, we were so bad at NT this year and this remedies that. I dont really see a 1st round NT that i believe will be BPA and will have the kind of impact to warrant it. Also we now have Canty, Jones, Mcphee and Spears all as quality, playable 5 techs.

Before we got Canty and Spears, I was all over the Knighton train... BECAUSE I didn't want Ngata at NT.

But with all that we have added, I think Ngata at NT will get double teamed LESS being on the nose.
    With Suggs and Dumervil each drawing tackle and an helper(back, TE), that leaves their 3 interior guys on our 3 man line. Canty and Ngata should both DOMINATE 1 on 1s. If they leave the back in to help with Canty/Ngata, then Dumervil or Suggs will DOMINATE their 1 on 1.

I think we will see a LOT of max protect.
    i REALLY like our "5 man DL" Further still, I really like Jones/Spears and Mcphee off the bench as well. Cody at backup NT is our only "second stringer" that does not approach starting quality. Upshaw as mentioned means we have 3 "approaching starter quality" OLB'ers as well.

ON D, if Webb is healthy, and Jimmy's light stays on after his good playoff run, with Graham and Chykie also making strides... this D should be better then last year. Big step back at SS and ILB, but no biggie, and honestly I think we have gotten better at FS.

On offense, however... we REALLY need a LT and another reliable receiver. Now, IMO our two biggest holes, as SS and ILB are "hide-able" holes.

Blog Entries

“I like being inside, closer to combat,” Ngata said.

*Centers around the league shudder*