Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Could the Ravens pass on Minter?

Yeah GOTA, I should have worded my question: "Who would be worthy as a first-round LT prospect at 32 or thereabouts?"

From what I've read, Fluker doesn't project at LT and Watson is supposedly something of a project (didn't we hear that about Ramon Harewood, and HE was a late-rounder). I hadn't known these two guys were being considered as 1st round material, but then that's why I'm asking to begin with.

If you're going to take an OT in the 1st round, I think it has to be a LT and has to be someone who can step in and do the job right away. I really doubt that's feasible given our draft spot.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 03-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Yeah GOTA, I should have worded my question: "Who would be worthy as a first-round LT prospect at 32 or thereabouts?"

From what I've read, Fluker doesn't project at LT and Watson is supposedly something of a project (didn't we hear that about Ramon Harewood, and HE was a late-rounder). I hadn't known these two guys were being considered as 1st round material, but then that's why I'm asking to begin with.

If you're going to take an OT in the 1st round, I think it has to be a LT and has to be someone who can step in and do the job right away. I really doubt that's feasible given our draft spot.
    Watson is a LIGHT YEARS better prospect than Harewood.

Per his FSU coach...

Listen, I've had four first-round draft picks but I've never had a guy do the things this kid could do," Trickett says, his voice still filled with wonder. "He's the most natural talent I've ever coached."
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    End of the 1st round possible picks

Safety? Outside of Vacarro, no other safety warrants a 1st round grade. It's a deep group, just not in round 1.
    Yeah but our problem is if we don't take one of these borderline rd one players at 32 they likely won't be there at 64. We might be forced to reach a little due to our late pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Watson is a LIGHT YEARS better prospect than Harewood.
    I would certainly hope so if any team is considering him in the first round. Still, the guy being better than Harewood isn't saying much. Let me put it this way: Is Watson a guy who can come into the pros and play LT from day 1?

As to what his coach says, well, college coaches often use superlatives when talking about their own guys. I'm sure the pro scouts will have their own, more objective take on the guy.

I would certainly hope so if any team is considering him in the first round. Still, the guy being better than Harewood isn't saying much. Let me put it this way: Is Watson a guy who can come into the pros and play LT from day 1?

As to what his coach says, well, college coaches often use superlatives when talking about their own guys. I'm sure the pro scouts will have their own, more objective take on the guy.
    Well, there's also the case of Harewood not playing much football and then doing ok at Morehouse vs. Watson not playing and then holding his own plus some at FSU.

Morehouse v. FSU

Big difference there.

I guess I unnecessarily muddied the waters by bringing up Harewood.

What I'm really trying to ask is if Watson (or any other draft prospect NOT named Joeckel, Fisher, or Johnson) is capable of coming in and starting this year for the Ravens at LT? If not, then to me it doesn't make sense for the Ravens to draft a tackle in the first round.

I guess I unnecessarily muddied the waters by bringing up Harewood.

What I'm really trying to ask is if Watson (or any other draft prospect NOT named Joeckel, Fisher, or Johnson) is capable of coming in and starting this year for the Ravens at LT? If not, then to me it doesn't make sense for the Ravens to draft a tackle in the first round.
    I know a lot of people will shit on this, but if you have a guy who you think could start at RT this year (with Oher at LT) and LT next year and then for 4 years after that (like I think Menalik could), then I wouldn't have a problem rolling with that.

Late 2 you could probably pick up Chris Faulk though, and he could possibly start at LT.

That sounds like yet another OL experiment, and way too dicey to use a 1st round pick on. And I for one am tired of seeing Oher see-saw between RT and LT. He needs to stay on the right and the only time he should EVER go back to LT is in a dire emergency. Honestly, I'd rather see McKinnie back for another year (holds nose). And we all know McKinnie's question marks.

If you're going to gamble then use a later pick, not a first rounder.

That sounds like yet another OL experiment, and way too dicey to use a 1st round pick on. And I for one am tired of seeing Oher see-saw between RT and LT. He needs to stay on the right and the only time he should EVER go back to LT is in a dire emergency. Honestly, I'd rather see McKinnie back for another year (holds nose). And we all know McKinnie's question marks.

Hey, if Castillo really likes a guy and convinces Oz & Co. that a guy is worthy of being picked there, I'm not gonna complain.

I'm also not of the opinion that Oher can't improve at LT with some help from Castillo.

ITA!

I think Ohers time at LT has actually caused him to regress from the player he was as a rookie.Just a horrible idea by the coaching staff from the very beginning.He doesn't have the wingspan to be a quality LT in the NFL and in all honesty is probably built more to play OG than T.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Hey, if Castillo really likes a guy and convinces Oz & Co. that a guy is worthy of being picked there, I'm not gonna complain.

I'm also not of the opinion that Oher can't improve at LT with some help from Castillo.
    I don't know exactly what Castillo envisions for the OL, but I'm sure he will give valuable input on the draft.

But as a mere run-of-the-mill fan, I'm of the opinion we've seen enough of Oher on the left side. I don't think his development will be helped by yet more see-sawing. The Ravens will do what they feel is best, but I really, really hope it doesn't mean Oher moving back to the left, even for half a season.

Minter is not a name I hope will be called by the Ravens. I'm In love with Brown. Boy can play. But also Riddick and Greene could be had later I think.

LT, not sure where he will be drafted, but members here got me in love with Armstead. Wow I really like him, maybe he can slide in at LT. And he is smart, and was a leader for his team. I think I read he even called plays for them. I like him a lot. Could he be #32 or second round. ?