Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    For me, the jury is still out on this off-season. Oz has had some good pickups up front on D, but he still has some work to do. As of right now we are weaker in the middle of the field beyond the DL. The loss of Ellerbie was big. The loss of Reed and Pollard adds to the void. It's still early and I'm gonna hold judgement on Oz's off season until at least after the draft. I understand that this rebuild was necessary and it may take a couple of years to get this D back to what we're used to. Our D has lost a few steps any way over the past year. I'm just not as optomistic as some about 2013.
    This defense is never going to be what it was because you just don't draft HOF players all the time and the Ravens are not going to spend a significant amount of their cap on it like in years past. What the Ravens are building is a fast defense that can stalemate the opponents offense while its own jumps out to 14-17 point leads (hopefully). At that point you cut the pass rush loose and wreak havoc.

I think the Ravens need a NT and a safety even more than a middle backer because I think McClain will be back and serviceable and Albert McCleelan and Josh Bynes will be ok (still look for them to draft a future starter and add a veteran).

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Love it ... and stealing it!

Ozzie wasn't lucky, he was opportunistic.

Dummervil wasn't Plan A, no question, but he was looking at Harrison, and probably considering Osi or Freeney to help with the pass rush. Any of those signings would have been helpful, even if we had to hold our noses for Harrison. I think Ozzie has planned from day 1 to address ILB in the draft, and put together a lot of young players with those 12 picks(though I suspect we wind up drafting maybe 8 at most).

Dummervil then fell into our laps, and Ozzie was like "ooh piece of candy!". He jumped all over it knowing he could address our pass rush more long term with one of the best in the NFL rather than the stopgap solution of the others while grooming someone from this year or next year's draft.

If he makes the right moves, signing Huff, drafting ILB and safety, this team is going to be a lot better than people might think. The offense is going to continue on it's course and be very formidable. The defense is going to be vastly improved over last year's version.

What makes anyone think he won't make the right moves? I guarantee he addresses the holes, in the most prudent, and yes, opportunistic way possible.

And I guarantee the Ravens win the AFCN in 2013 if he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    They just gave a record contract to their QB, and not only did they trade away his #1 target, but now you think it's cool that they may see if Oher has gotten better at protecting his blindside? I will say that he can't get much worse at LT. Why do that when they can get McKinnie for a bargain, and we saw how good he could play after Harbaugh got over his stubbornness.
    Can you link up the quote from the front office where they talk about moving Oher back to left tackle?

Oh wait...you must be one of those people that thinks free agency only lasts for 10 days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Sometimes the slobbering over Ozzie on this forum gets to be a bit much. Dumervil is a great signing, but I'm sure Ozzie didn't plan on some kind of fax machine incident making him available. Ozzie was planning on signing 35 yo James Harrison. Canty is a decent signing. Spears sucks. We have no proven safeties at the moment. Maybe that will be fixed shortly.
    It's not slobbering over Ozzie to recognize he has a track record that deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I don't doubt they disliked parting ways with a lot of the players they did, but the nature of the NFL today- especially the salary cap- dictated otherwise. The job of the FO is to give the coaches the best collection of players they can, and this FO, with Ozzie at the head of the table, has done a very good job of that over the years. You don't go to the playoffs 5 straight years without the FO doing something right. You don't go to the playoffs as often as this franchise has since finally getting over the hump in 2000 without the FO doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    That's a bit unfair to continue to put down those upset with Ozzie this offseason . . .
    But it's not unfair to chuckle at those who are wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth in March because a few moves didn't go the way they wanted them to go. It's ridiculous to use the word disastrous to describe the off season to this point.

And it's not unfair to chuckle at those who think because the Ravens don't have a LT in March they are going to automatically put Oher back at LT and that will result in a lost season. Might it turn out that way? I don't know, but I do know that the roster is hardly set prior to the draft and that the team is going to look different in August than it does today.

Yes it is. And if one of those people were you, I'm sure you'd be complaining that you are entitled to your opinion.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Ozzie wasn't lucky, he was opportunistic.

Dummervil wasn't Plan A, no question, but he was looking at Harrison, and probably considering Osi or Freeney to help with the pass rush. Any of those signings would have been helpful, even if we had to hold our noses for Harrison. I think Ozzie has planned from day 1 to address ILB in the draft, and put together a lot of young players with those 12 picks(though I suspect we wind up drafting maybe 8 at most).

Dummervil then fell into our laps, and Ozzie was like "ooh piece of candy!". He jumped all over it knowing he could address our pass rush more long term with one of the best in the NFL rather than the stopgap solution of the others while grooming someone from this year or next year's draft.

If he makes the right moves, signing Huff, drafting ILB and safety, this team is going to be a lot better than people might think. The offense is going to continue on it's course and be very formidable. The defense is going to be vastly improved over last year's version.

What makes anyone think he won't make the right moves? I guarantee he addresses the holes, in the most prudent, and yes, opportunistic way possible.

And I guarantee the Ravens win the AFCN in 2013 if he does.
    Indeed. It wasn't worth the high dollar to secure the guys the Ravens lost, as they either were overrated, aging, or flat out overpriced. You can call it "luck" to get Dumervil, but quite frankly Harrison or Freeney would have provided a likely upgrade opposite of Suggs from what Kruger brought.

This team already looks more well rounded from the one that just won the Super Bowl. It is more stout defensively with a better pass rush, and that will be firmly solidified when Oz either drafts or signs another ILB. Boldin had a great postseason, but Doss, Reed, Streeter, or someone drafted can provide most of what he brought in the regular season.

Blog Entries

LOL, we just signed our biggest name on the market since 2006, and people still wanna whine about a disastrous offseason even though we re-signed Flacco, it could have been a whole lot worse tagging him. Nobody is slobbing over Ozzie here, but nearly every move so far has made sense, apart from maybe the Pollard move which is very debatable.

Fact is Canty, Spears, and Dumervil holds better value than keeping Boldin.
    Last edited by leachisabeast; 03-25-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Well I can say I didn't see this signing come. I was think Harrison or maybe Freeney as back up plans. Anyway, what a great surprise. We should be solid up front. Ozzie been rolling for a while now. I sure he seen this offseason coming for a couple years now. I'm super proud of being a Ravens fan knowing we got a world champion (twice ) FO. makes me feel good that they will make the hard right or wrong Decisions. We won this Off season when we signed Flacco for the long haul. Gotta have a QB period.

But great job Oz, and can wait to see the masterpiece complete.
    Purple pride

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I personally think the offense is finally set, I think we have all the pieces in place, minus a solid Z possession receiver (which we lost in Boldin obviously), I think the Ravens will come out of the draft with somebody to compete with Doss, and Jacoby. Torrey will assume the X receiver role, and will likely be Flacco's number 1 target this year. I actually expect to see mostly two TE sets like we did back in 2011 because of the loss of Boldin. We also have the ability to run the ball and run the clock with Rice Leach, and Pierce. We have a pretty damn good run blocking Oline with KO and Yanda in the middle, if we can get McKinnie re-signed, we'll probably have one of the better Olines in the game, if not a top 5 unit as it was in the play offs.

Boldin was traded to get the cap space to sign Canty, and Doom. Boldin was money in the play offs, no question, but signing Canty, Spears, and Doom holds greater overall value than keeping Boldin IMO. The offense can survive without Boldin, and there were games when Flacco played really well without Boldin being a major factor, I really think the FO are extremely confident with Torrey Smith too.

The defense needed upgrading. The national media can flap their gums all day about what we've lost, but facts are, we were the 17th ranked defense last year, and we needed new and better players bought in. We got an upgrade over Paul Kruger with a 4th round comp pick thrown in, and we got a major upgrade on the biggest weakness of our team last year, the defensive line. I would not be surprised at all if we came back with a top 10 defense this year. It wont be as emotional or have as much energy without Reed and Ray Lewis, but it will probably be a much more athletic and speedier defense, that will be able to get to the QB, and that's the probity in todays league.

I know that we've lost a lot, but we've also gained a lot this offseason, as well as keeping Joe. Now we could be signing Michael Huff, and McKinnie is still out there and has been talking with Harbaugh, if we can get both of them, we could be looking at one of the most complete teams we've had in a while. Ozzie also has 12 picks to work with, and will take the BPA at key positions.

In OZ we trust!
    I think this is a great post!

I agree with everything and you really made sense out of the Boldin trade for me. I mean I get why we did it but the way you put it makes the sting of losing Q a little bit easier.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2