Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ozzie isn't rebuilding this team, he's upgrading the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Sometimes the slobbering over Ozzie on this forum gets to be a bit much. Dumervil is a great signing, but I'm sure Ozzie didn't plan on some kind of fax machine incident making him available. Ozzie was planning on signing 35 yo James Harrison. Canty is a decent signing. Spears sucks. We have no proven safeties at the moment. Maybe that will be fixed shortly.

On offense, outside of Torrey's go routes, we don't really have a true playmaker at receiver. We are basically hoping one of our young guys can step up, but none of them have shown any sign of being half the receiver that Boldin was. This team doesn't win the Lombardi without Boldin. That's a fact. Right now it looks like we are going with Oher at left tackle, like we haven't seen enough of that to know how bad it is. McKinnie can talk to Harbaugh all he wants. Harbaugh doesn't like him, and we saw what happened to every guy that Harbaugh didn't like this offseason.

Dumervil was a great, although lucky, signing. It doesn't yet make up for what has been a disastrous off-season.
    Oher going back to left tackle could derail everything. They keep trying that experiment even though it never works out.

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Every year is different, luck plays into it. Ravens getting healthy just before post season and lucky enough to have won 9 games, then losing 4 out of 5. Ravens are a team with great players,HC,ooner, and front office. Nothing but sdtrategy and luck can put a team in position to win. Ray Rice, 4th and 29, setting up for the win. The games are played on the field during the season. The team is put together in the off season with a goal. Oher could get better, no one knows, lets wait and see. He has experienced a SB and has an Oline he is familiar with. Sit back , season will get here soon enough, let the FO handle the off season.
    They just gave a record contract to their QB, and not only did they trade away his #1 target, but now you think it's cool that they may see if Oher has gotten better at protecting his blindside? I will say that he can't get much worse at LT. Why do that when they can get McKinnie for a bargain, and we saw how good he could play after Harbaugh got over his stubbornness.

I get a genuine laugh when people sum up the team at the start of free agency or before the draft. The word "disastrous" is especially amusing.

Now throw in Ozzie bashing on top of it and I can really get a giggle going.

Yes, it was luck. But the proof is in his methods. Because he runs a smart cap, we were in the position to pounce on such a lucky opportunity. THAT is what sets Ozzie apart. THAT is why he deserves praise.

For me, the jury is still out on this off-season. Oz has had some good pickups up front on D, but he still has some work to do. As of right now we are weaker in the middle of the field beyond the DL. The loss of Ellerbie was big. The loss of Reed and Pollard adds to the void. It's still early and I'm gonna hold judgement on Oz's off season until at least after the draft. I understand that this rebuild was necessary and it may take a couple of years to get this D back to what we're used to. Our D has lost a few steps any way over the past year. I'm just not as optomistic as some about 2013.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I don't think it was luck. It's well known that the Ravens front office monitors the roster situations of opposing teams. If there is one thing that should be a surprise, it is that Dumervil agreed to the pay cut. Elway wasn't even expecting that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

success is what happens when opportunity meets preparation...Oz was prepared and pursued an opportunity when it appeared....that's what good GM's do and good teams do...seize the opportunity...

Step 1 - You upgrade the D Line by adding Canty and Spears. This improves your run D immediately and helps out one of your most talented defensive players in Ngata.

Step 2- You bring in a OLB who can pressure the QB. Granted you get lucky as hell having Dumervil hit the market but its not like this was not part of the plan. It just worked out better than even Ozzie could have imagined.

Step 3- Use your draft picks and remaining cap room to address ILB/S/LT positions. Focus should be on guys who have good cover skills. This is primary reason that Pollard is not here now. I think to many people on here discount Omar Brown and Christian Thompson. These are two guys whose skill set meshes well with the D they are building. You also have to feel good about your CB situation. Especially now. Jimmy Smith and Webb I expect to continue to blossom. Both guys have no issue being aggressive and with the pass rush you expect to generate that fits well. Graham and C.Brown give you good depth and nickel options.

The makings of a faster, younger and more versatile D are here now. Moving forward I expect Ozzie to look for veteran depth at S and perhaps at ILB. I also look for him to address both positions in the draft as well. ILB, S, OT and WR are deep there is good talent available in rounds 1-4. Maybe not superstar level talent but solid guys.

Give Ozzie 12 picks to work with and I like the odds of him rounding out this roster very nicely.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by knots View Post
    success is what happens when opportunity meets preparation...Oz was prepared and pursued an opportunity when it appeared....that's what good GM's do and good teams do...seize the opportunity...

Never blow your cap-wad in week one.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by knots View Post
    Nah.. It was luck.

That's a bit unfair to continue to put down those upset with Ozzie this offseason when you think about the fact that Dumerville being released really was a stroke of dumb luck. Otherwise we're sitting with a big hole in pass rush which Ozzie might have had to fill with the same type of aging end-of-his-career player that everyone says some of the guys we let go were (minus Kruger and Ellerbe who were young but not going to get what they got elsewhere).

Let's not pretend Ozzie was making all this cap room on the chance that Dumerville was going to get cut. And at the cap friendliness of this deal tells me we could have not cut anyone and still signed him, so that's not it either.

We are still very unknown at safety and ILB, and LT for that matter. So before we continue to mock those that have issue with Ozzie over the players that are gone, try to see their side of it. Our defense is still far from set, though the line now is.

Someone one once told me 'you make your own fucking luck'.

Didn't read the post but the thread title is absolutely correct.