Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Player collusion in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    The fishy thing is it is much more skewed than the NFL pre 2011 CBA.

You guys can believe what you want.

I am just telling you what I've heard agents and NFLPA people saying, which is also what Aaron Wilson is hearing.
    NO, I see absolutely NOTHING fishy about a team paying the rarest and most important $$ wise parts of their teams the most money. As a matter of fact, had it NOT occurred this way, I would find it "fishy".

Thanks for backing up my premise. The owners are setting contracts low on anyone who isn't a QB or WR, because points = ratings = money.

Funny how when it comes to paying QB and WR they aren't so worried about spending. Yet DE and CBs can't seem to get the same $$ they used to because money is tight under the cap.

They are overvaluing the QB and WR spots because they are shifting the game to more points aka fantasy football.

Again if someone else has a better reason for why defensive players are no longer seeing the $ they used too please offer it up.

Meanwhile the Cowboys just extended a veteran 32 year old QB for $108M but a 27 year old LB (Dan Connor) gets asked to take a paycut and is eventually cut because money is tight. Riiiight.....
    QB is the most important position in football. It has been for quite some time. The game is changing and has been changing. If you think the owners are the ones keeping the contracts for certain positions low you are off your rocker.

The GMs are spending money in a way that best allows them to compete. There were no CBs in free agency worth a big deal. Last year there were a couple of corners that got big $ deals. Webb being one. Brandon Carr being another. You don't think Ellerbe's deal was big? He is making the same per year as Ray Lewis did in his prime. Dashon Goldson signed a deal for 8m per year. Most of the top defensive free agents were franchised. The CB market was weak this year. You had Sean Smith who led the league in giving up TDs and First downs as the top corner. He got 6m per year for 3 years.

There were no DPOY type of free agents this year. Next year you will have some big defensive contracts with Clay Mathews, Geno Atkins, Jairus Byrd and Brian Orakpo. Assuming Orakpo stays healthy. Are you forgetting the deal Mario Williams signed last off season?

Blog Entries

Just do me a favor. If before the end of this current CBA lawsuits are filed and QB and WR contracts continue to balloon well above all other positions remember this thread.

Just do me a favor. If before the end of this current CBA lawsuits are filed and QB and WR contracts continue to balloon well above all other positions remember this thread.
    QB and WR contracts (particularly QB) will continue to balloon, but not because of some type of collusion on the owner's part. Its becoming more and more a passing league, so those positions are more and more valuable. And its already been covered but defensive players aren't all getting paid "table scraps". Kruger got a bigger deal than Ray freaking Rice. The Dolphins gave two average to above average ILBs (probably the least important position on D in today's NFL) a combined $60 million. Its just that once the initial feeding frenzy is over after the first few days of FA, players (like Avril or Bennett, or for that matter Dumervil or Huff) often can be had for less than market value, particularly if you're a contender

Who is going to file a lawsuit and what is going to be the basis?

The game has changed and GMs are changing their approach to win. Their is no collusion. The game is not changing just for ratings. It is changing because of safety. There is still a large lawsuit against the NFL by former players. That is driving the changes as much as the ratings. CBs and pass rushers are still going to get large contracts. The Ravens did not value Boldin at 6m for just one year. They asked him to take a pay cut.

if you want to lay claim to this thought process, you are welcome to it!!!

Blog Entries
    Collusion? Maybe.

However, I think a lot of owners and GM's have seen the writing on the wall with how these salaries just keep growing and growing.

At some point owners and GM's need to say enough is enough.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

How about this: if a court finds that collusion took place, I'll remember this thread. Otherwise, it stays in my bit bucket.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

I don't understand the "collusion" angle (?) The NFL has a $alary cap, and floor, so every team has to spend a minimum or maximum amount. If a team decides to put a high percentage of their cap into a few players, then they have le$$ to spend on the balance of their roster. Where is the secret conspiracy ? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Yet another lowball defensive contract. Brent Grimes gets $5.5M for one year. Last year he played under the franchise tag for $10M.

Last year guys like Carr and finnegan were getting 5 year contracts for $10M per year.

Now Grimes, Talib can only land 1 years deals for $5M?????? Hmmm......

The ideal for each player is to 'get paid' and win.

With the Salary Cap things aren't that easy. For most players there comes a decision time, 'get paid' or Win. The continuously successful teams have a command of the cap and make a point of not overpaying for the talent they put on the field. The also rans, however, have always demonstrated the idea 'we are only one or two players away' from being successful and will overpay to get them - rarely are those overpaid one or two players enough to make the team a contender for one year, let alone the long term.

With Seattle getting talent 'on the cheap', makes one think that players view Seattle as a winner and they are willing to take something less on the pay front to be a part of that winner.

The FA's that the Ravens have picked up also appear to have come to the Ravens with that same mentality. The FA's that left the Ravens, have yet to know what life is like at the other end of the W-L standings. They will find out.

Blog Entries
    They've talked about this on Movin the Chains a few times. The market is flooded with FA talent in a year when the cap stayed flat. Then there are more players in the draft than there are roster spots. Next year is not expected to be any better. Some agents are going for nor year deals or two years that are essentially one year deals, so they can do it again next year. They feel the smart money is to go for longer deals even if they're not great, to stay out of this game next year.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!