Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Any Thoughts about Victor Cruz?

Cruz is a RFA but when you pick #32 it's not such a bad idea, think how much more the Seahawks gave up for Harvin. Obviously he would be expensive. That's really the big negative. On the plus side you are getting a top receiver who knows how to find the endzone. Between Torrey and Cruz you are set at WR for the time Flacco is under contract. It's a passing league and weapons at WR go a lot farther than they used to. Cruz also happens to be a great person in the mold of Ray Rice. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: Any Thoughts about Victor Cruz?

I would love to have Cruz. I just don't think it would happen. Ozzie is reluctant to trade 1st round picks, and he'd have to sign Cruz to a big deal.

Blog Entries

Money + high round picks, Ozzie will never give a combination of both up.

Blog Entries

Couple things...

Unless we go the "legal poison pill" route (ie, give him a contract structured so that the Giants all but have to pass), the Giants could opt to match it, then we've basically done their negotiating for them

With so many other holes on the team, I just can't see doing it. We need this draft to restock our shelves. Cruz is a big time talent, but adding him would cost a lot of money and would create an issue when Torrey's contract comes up.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Doesnt seem like and Ozzie move to me. I love Cruz though. I would have rather had him as as UDFA than paying 10m/year for him plus a first round pick. I dont think we even grab a WR at this point, except in the draft. There really isnt anything out there thats really an improvement besides Jennings and frankly hell probably get more than he should anyway. I do expect if a late TC cut happens that well be searching then for a vet if our youngsters arent showing enough but i full expect to go into the season with not much more than we have currently at WR + rookie.

Murphy, Barden, and breaston intrigue me, but im not sure theyre a sure fire improvement. The market really dried up quickly.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Yeah, the combination of the picks plus the contract required just doesn't make it a prudent move, I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I would love to have Cruz. I just don't think it would happen. Ozzie is reluctant to trade 1st round picks, and he'd have to sign Cruz to a big deal.
    I just don't get the reluctance, and not just from Ozzie - in general.

You never know if your 1st rd pick is gonna bust. If you can acquire a young proven player that is more of a sure thing, why not?

But with the new rookie scale I can see why - rookies are just too damn cheap for 4 years to not take your chances on hitting a star and milking him cheap for 4 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I just don't get the reluctance, and not just from Ozzie - in general.

You never know if your 1st rd pick is gonna bust. If you can acquire a young proven player that is more of a sure thing, why not?

But with the new rookie scale I can see why - rookies are just too damn cheap for 4 years to not take your chances on hitting a star and milking him cheap for 4 years.
    Wholesale vs Retail. You can go out and pay Retail prices for a player in Free Agency or you can pay Wholesale prices in the draft. That's really what it comes down to.

Out of how many receivers have the Ravens drafted turn out to be legit NFL Starting WRs? I can only count 1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Wholesale vs Retail. You can go out and pay Retail prices for a player in Free Agency or you can pay Wholesale prices in the draft. That's really what it comes down to.
    Just think about it - 5 years ago Flacco and Ryan broke the mold by starting as rookie QBs.

Now - it is expected.

College players are coming out more and more pro-ready, so there isn't the same "wait and see"/"develop" approach. They are expected to contribute year one.

So I do not have the same fear I would have had a couple of years ago by starting rookies. Just look around the league, first year players in all positions are performing. Janoris Jenkins, Torrey, Julio and more.

Blog Entries

If there was a guy to consider it for and a year to consider it, this would be the guy and this would be the year.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Signing Cruz probably will cost you Torrey Smith in 2 years.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.