Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If Boldin fails the physical I'm sure he will be cut.

There is no way at this point that Boldin will be forced to stay on the roster.
    I'm sure Boldin would be cut too but if I'm a free agent I'm not agreeing to a handshake deal that takes me out of the market waiting to see what happens. I'd do a check with me deal with Ozzie while I'm talking to other teams trying to get my price.

Blog Entries

I don't see what is the big deal about that draft pick. It is the 49ers 6th round pick, which is the next to last regular pick in the 6th round. Really, what is the difference between that pick and an UFA anyway. Now, if the Ravens are not going to need that cap room right away, then fine. However, if it costs them a chance get a player they want through FA or a trade, then it is a stupid move.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm sure Boldin would be cut too but if I'm a free agent I'm not agreeing to a handshake deal that takes me out of the market waiting to see what happens. I'd do a check with me deal with Ozzie while I'm talking to other teams trying to get my price.
    The free agent would have to wait what...30 minutes for the cut to go through?

If Ozzie really wanted a guy and it was a problem to wait, Ozzie could fax the paperwork to cut Boldin into the league any time he'd want.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The free agent would have to wait what...30 minutes for the cut to go through?

If Ozzie really wanted a guy and it was a problem to wait, Ozzie could fax the paperwork to cut Boldin into the league any time he'd want.
    If the player agreed today he would have to wait until Q takes the physical 4 or 5 days from now and then for the results. That means they have nothing in writing with the Ravens for a week. What if the Ravens change their minds during that time and the player lost other opportunities? Every agent is going to tell their client to keep looking for better deals. They aren't going to commit to the Ravens based on their word that they will have a deal once this is resolved. Business doesn't work that way.

Blog Entries

It's been a week. Anyone heard when the Boldin trade is due to be finalized?

It's been a week. Anyone heard when the Boldin trade is due to be finalized?
    I read somewhere that he's expected to take his physical early this week (I guess today or tomorrow) which will finalize the trade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuraven View Post
    I read somewhere that he's expected to take his physical early this week (I guess today or tomorrow) which will finalize the trade.
    Good. I hate the fact that they didn't have all that cap space for week just for a late 6th round pick. It will be nice to have this finally done.

Good. I hate the fact that they didn't have all that cap space for week just for a late 6th round pick. It will be nice to have this finally done.
    Would it have made a difference if they had not cut Boldin? Probably not. They knew when Boldin was leaving for Africa and still traded him knowing that the deal wouldn't finalize for at least a week. If anything the deal to trade Boldin alowed them to sign guys like Canty and Spears, two guys they had clearly targeted because both were cut before free agency started.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Would it have made a difference if they had not cut Boldin? Probably not. They knew when Boldin was leaving for Africa and still traded him knowing that the deal wouldn't finalize for at least a week. If anything the deal to trade Boldin alowed them to sign guys like Canty and Spears, two guys they had clearly targeted because both were cut before free agency started.
    If they had cut Boldin that cap space would have been there right away. No way to know what would have happened if we had that available space.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

What player is going to take himself off the market based on the results of Boldin's physical? If Boldin doesn't pass it then the deal in principal is off and that guy might have cost himself money from another team. No one would agree to that.
    If Boldin doesn't pass the trade is void and the Ravens then cut Boldin. The pending agreement would be held up a few hours at most.

If they had cut Boldin that cap space would have been there right away. No way to know what would have happened if we had that available space.
    Well it was clear to the FO that trading Boldin had more value than creating cap space.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If Boldin doesn't pass the trade is void and the Ravens then cut Boldin. The pending agreement would be held up a few hours at most.
    Greg the point was that no player was taking himself off the market for a week to find out if Boldin passed on not. It obviously didn't happen. For all we know the Ravens didn't try to make it happen because they knew there was no point in trying. pslholder96 is right. They decided the pick was worth more than the cap space.