Blog Entries

Ray Lewis > Boldin

Just for perspective: in 2013 the Ravens will be without Ray Lewis, 17 years as a Raven, best MLB ever who basically built the franchise.

Not to mention that the Ravens might be without Ed Reed, too, another ROH Raven, best FS ever, played entire career for the team.

And yet we are here lamenting bitterly the loss of a WR who was not even drafted by the team, played four years and was okay until a magical postseason run in 2012.

I think perspective is in order. They will draft well, and will be in the playoff again in 2013 and for many years to come.

Re: Ray Lewis > Boldin

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    Just for perspective: in 2013 the Ravens will be without Ray Lewis, 17 years as a Raven, best MLB ever who basically built the franchise.

Not to mention that the Ravens might be without Ed Reed, too, another ROH Raven, best FS ever, played entire career for the team.

And yet we are here lamenting bitterly the loss of a WR who was not even drafted by the team, played four years and was okay until a magical postseason run in 2012.

I think perspective is in order. They will draft well, and will be in the playoff again in 2013 and for many years to come.
    Perspective is indeed in order. The correct perspective is how each loss will affect the performance of the 2013 Ravens. Ray is gone regardless, so there is nothing to discuss. Boldin is playing at a higher level than Reed, and we are going to be shifting to an offensively-led team after paying the largest QB contract in history.

Plus, obviously, the idea that because someone else leaves who may be more of a legend somehow means another guy leaving cannot hurt is nonsense. In fact, Boldin's loss is that much more painful because the other two guys are not around, not less painful.

For me, this move only makes possible sense if we add a signficant FA to our offense. Not defense, but offense. Either a decent LT, or replacement WR. But I don't think the trade saved us quite enough money to get a decent replacement at either position. And I am afraid the front office doesn't even think we need a replacement WR (and I think that is a risky move when you are attempting to defend the title).

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post

is this you ULI?

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    is this you ULI?

"No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of."

Shut the fuck up Donny!!!

Lewis was like a car you bought new and got 350,000 miles out of. It will always be your favorite and you couldn't have asked for more, but it was time.

Personally, I liked Boldin a lot but I'm not one of the chicken littles roosting on the board. He was really the only way we could clear some cap room.

Blog Entries

I don't think he was the only way, but it was a good chunk of cap room in one move and it's not an unreasonable decision. Boldin is 32, which is pretty long in the tooth for a wide-out. There aren't many 35 or 36 year old wide receivers playing at a high level.

Boldin, I think, will be one that does, simply because his game has never relied on speed. He's not going to lose much power over the next three years. He's not a bad acquisition for the Niners. But he's also not someone the Ravens are going to want to invest the next three (let alone four) years in. As much as I hate it because it means Boldin isn't in black and purple anymore, I certainly don't have any hard feelings for either party involved in the decisions that made this trade come to pass. This is the NFL today. If this were the mid'-'70s, I'd be pissed at Ozzie. But it ain't the mid-'70s.

There's no way to be angry or upset about the lass of Ray. Seventeen years is more than we can expect, and it's great he's going out a champion. It's the perfect end to one of the greatest careers in the history of the NFL. No other middle/inside linebacker can claim to have led his team to a championship except Lewis (2000). He was great at every facet of the game at his position- stopping the run, rushing the passer, coverage. He was a defensive coordinator on the field, a QB on the defense to a degree no other ILB in his era could match. It was also time for him to retire.

Reed is a thornier question. He's been great here. As fans, we've been treated to two of the all-time greats at their position playing together, and Reed still has the ability to be a gamechanger. He's also at a point in his career where diminishing returns should be expected, both by fans watching him play and him with what he's expecting to get paid. I hope he can and does stay a Raven, but the business side of things is more than capable of messing that up. Regardless, Ed Reed will always be a Raven. Johnny U. finished his career in a Charger uniform, but he was and is forever a Baltimore Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I don't think he was the only way, but it was a good chunk of cap room in one move and it's not an unreasonable decision.
    My choice of words was poor, it wasn't the only way. But considering there is little dead money for only one year, it was the best option IMO.

I'm still sore over Unitas going to San Diego. It was a different NFL then and that was just wrong. In a word, Irskay. I agree, no one identifies him as a Charger.

I'm reading that Reed maybe able to command 4 to 5m as a FA. I won't be sore if he takes a pay day we won't match. Your analogy with Unitas makes sense. If he does go elsewhere, he will go into the HOF as a Raven.

Ray Lewis was a great leader on and off the field, but let's face it, he stopped being Ray Lewis the greatest MLB of all time years ago. Just be happy that he road off into the sunset as a Raven and we'll be getting a statue of him outside the stadium. Heck, maybe he'll even come back and coach for us.

Let Ed Reed test the market like Ray did. He may have one or two years left, but my guess is he's worth more to the Ravens than the free market...

After all, as great as he was, he's peaked and will be a 35 year old safety with nerve impingement in his neck this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Let Ed Reed test the market like Ray did. He may have one or two years left, but my guess is he's worth more to the Ravens than the free market...

After all, as great as he was, he's peaked and will be a 35 year old safety with nerve impingement in his neck this season.
    There's evidently a lot of interest in him and it's been reported he will command between 4-5m.

This is similar to the Paul Kruger conversation.

If he can get it, great.
    But my guess is it's a bit steeper than the Ravens want to pay.
    I'd guess they want him at around $3-3.5M. More than that and he'll walk...
    And at least Kruger is hitting his prime so there is potential upside. No upside for Ed.