Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Conceding???

Re: Conceding???

Take the cap lumps now
    What cap lumps? Their cap restraints centered on one player. It's not like 2002 at all, when they were $20 million over the cap.

They will have ample room to bring back a few of their players. This issue just had to do with a player who was getting more money than he honestly deserved this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Ozzie's QB track record was horrible until Flacco.
    Apples to oranges a bit...but how many QBs had Ozzie drafted before Flacco that had LEGIT shots at competing (3rd round or higher)?

Redman
    Boller

How many WRs (3rd round or higher)?

Travis Taylor
    Devard Darling
    Mark Clayton
    Patrick Johnson
    (not going to count Yamon Figurs)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I agree. Ozzie is likely looking at this being another 2002. Take the cap lumps now, then rebuild with the strong-armed QB.
    This is hardly gutting. Ozzie cut most of the SB 35 team including a strong arm QB.

We lose 1 guy and people are freaking out. We may even lose Ed Reed and we still make the 6th straight playoffs, more than
    any other team.

And besides, Ozzie just missed the 02 POs by 8 plays, just 8 plays after gutting that SB team and he made the POs the
    next year in 03 and again in 06 and again in 08, 09, 10,11 and 20012. Geesh

So lighten up Francis and enjoy the SB ride.

Blog Entries

2002 was way worse...Didn't we field like 5 or 6 UDFAs, with more than 1 starting because we had NO other options?

2002 was the year of Will Demps...yeah.

Tell me the guy who replaces Boldin next year will be Will Demps-level. Then I will concede that we are conceding.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

right player, right price

that's all

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Apples to oranges a bit...but how many QBs had Ozzie drafted before Flacco that had LEGIT shots at competing (3rd round or higher)?

Redman
    Boller

How many WRs (3rd round or higher)?

Travis Taylor
    Devard Darling
    Mark Clayton
    Patrick Johnson
    (not going to count Yamon Figurs)
    Do they go hand in hand as well? Maybe Taylor, Darling, and Johnson would be better with a Flacco throwing them the ball. Maybe Clayton could have developed better with a Flacco over the first three years of his career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Do they go hand in hand as well? Maybe Taylor, Darling, and Johnson would be better with a Flacco throwing them the ball. Maybe Clayton could have developed better with a Flacco over the first three years of his career.
    Maybe, but look at the WRs we've drafted "AF" (After Flacco)

2008 - Marcus Smith, Justin Harper - NADA
    2010 - David Reed - 5 catches, 66 yards. Injuries have slowed him, but certainly has been a disappointment at WR
    2011 - Torrey Smith, Tandon Doss, LaQuan Williams - Torrey has been Ozzie's saving grace at WR. Tandon Doss? 7 catches 123 yards in 2 years. Maybe he steps up this year, but considering his hype being "hand picked" by Joe...he hasn't lived up yet. LaQuan looked like a possible gem his rookie year, then ended up doing nothing his 2nd year (Inactive mostly?)
    2012 - Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson - Streeter got IR'd to stash for a year, Deonte was deactivated a lot

Just saying, during Joe's time, only one of the drafted WRs has become a major contributor.

Conceding probably isn't the right word, but they sure as hell aren't putting the best team they could out there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

How do you know when you haven't seen the team yet?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Conceding probably isn't the right word, but they sure as hell aren't putting the best team they could out there.
    And you could say the same thing after we cut Gregg, Heap, Mason, and McGahee. And you could say the same thing after losing Grubbs and replacing with no one, losing JJ and replacing with a drafted Upshaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Luckily they have Free Agency and the Draft to go through before they have to play anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Maybe, but look at the WRs we've drafted "AF" (After Flacco)

2008 - Marcus Smith, Justin Harper - NADA
    2010 - David Reed - 5 catches, 66 yards. Injuries have slowed him, but certainly has been a disappointment at WR
    2011 - Torrey Smith, Tandon Doss, LaQuan Williams - Torrey has been Ozzie's saving grace at WR. Tandon Doss? 7 catches 123 yards in 2 years. Maybe he steps up this year, but considering his hype being "hand picked" by Joe...he hasn't lived up yet. LaQuan looked like a possible gem his rookie year, then ended up doing nothing his 2nd year (Inactive mostly?)
    2012 - Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson - Streeter got IR'd to stash for a year, Deonte was deactivated a lot

Just saying, during Joe's time, only one of the drafted WRs has become a major contributor.
    Well lets look where those guys (other than the producer - Torrey) were drafted.

Smith - 4th Round
    Harper - 7th Round
    Reed - 5th Round
    Doss - 4th Round
    Williams - Undrafted
    Streeter - 6th Round
    Thompson - Undrafted

It's not like these were top shelf guys and most of them have had limited playing time.