Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Interesting Perspective on Juan Castillo hiring

Quote Originally Posted by cealex1223 View Post
    Flacco's cap number next year is $6m, nowhere near top 5 money.
    I don't think he was talking from a cap perspective but just in general. Flacco got more than a top 5 contract we know.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    So what does that leave for Moeller to do? Not trying to be snarcastic, but what's left?
    Cladwell is the OC, but his forte is more in the passing game.

Castillo is the running game coordinator, so I think he'll be more responsible for the run blocking scheme. He's kind of between the OC and the OL coach, but, again, with more of a role in getting the running game kick started again.

Moeller is the OL coach.

There certainly is a lot of interplay amongst them, but I would assume that Harbaugh will take care of clearly delineating their roles.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Juan Castillo was always a great believer in power man blocking schemes. We went to a lot of ZBS stuff in 2011, but kind of got away from that this season especially towards the end when we were pretty much running out of power man exclusively, maybe that had something to do with Juan joining the team late. It clearly works better for us, we have the players suited for that scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Cladwell is the OC, but his forte is more in the passing game.

Castillo is the running game coordinator, so I think he'll be more responsible for the run blocking scheme. He's kind of between the OC and the OL coach, but, again, with more of a role in getting the running game kick started again.

Moeller is the OL coach.

There certainly is a lot of interplay amongst them, but I would assume that Harbaugh will take care of clearly delineating their roles.

The Ravens, maybe more than any team I can think of, has a collaborative philosophy. The origins of their culture goes all the way back to the Bill Belichick days in Cleveland. Ozzie credits Belichick as a big influence on his approach -- everyone is expected to contribute a point of view and come prepared to argue that point, and then there is an ultimate decision maker who needs to be able to sort through all the information his guys have assembled.

This culture only strengthened under Bisciotti whose own business focused on mining the talent of the people you hire.

I've always felt that Billick and Cameron struggled in such as system. Whereas Harbaugh and Caldwell seem well suited for it. I have to think that it's an ideal place to work for certain guys. I can only assume that Castillo is going to enjoy being able to focus on what he likes to do, develop linemen, but also feel like his voice his heard and respected. When it comes down to it that's what we all want in our jobs. Let me do the work I like doing, but respect my point of view and listen when I want to express it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    This also could be a reflection of the fact that once you pay a QB top-5 money, you are going to have to find bargains at other positions.
    In general I agree with this, with exception to maybe LT. When you spend the kind of money they spent on Joe you better have a damn good LT to protect that investment. Not sure "late round" picks will work there.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Put J.O in a time machine and send him back 15 years. That'll do the trick at LT!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The Ravens, maybe more than any team I can think of, has a collaborative philosophy. The origins of their culture goes all the way back to the Bill Belichick days in Cleveland. Ozzie credits Belichick as a big influence on his approach -- everyone is expected to contribute a point of view and come prepared to argue that point, and then there is an ultimate decision maker who needs to be able to sort through all the information his guys have assembled.

This culture only strengthened under Bisciotti whose own business focused on mining the talent of the people you hire.

I've always felt that Billick and Cameron struggled in such as system. Whereas Harbaugh and Caldwell seem well suited for it. I have to think that it's an ideal place to work for certain guys. I can only assume that Castillo is going to enjoy being able to focus on what he likes to do, develop linemen, but also feel like his voice his heard and respected. When it comes down to it that's what we all want in our jobs. Let me do the work I like doing, but respect my point of view and listen when I want to express it.
    That is a very interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    In general I agree with this, with exception to maybe LT. When you spend the kind of money they spent on Joe you better have a damn good LT to protect that investment. Not sure "late round" picks will work there.
    As long as you have a solid middle who can create a pocket the QB can step up into, you don't need a world beater whose gonna stone every guy at the line, you just need an athletic guy guy with decent length who can redirect the rusher and keep him from getting inside.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    As long as you have a solid middle who can create a pocket the QB can step up into, you don't need a world beater whose gonna stone every guy at the line, you just need an athletic guy guy with decent length who can redirect the rusher and keep him from getting inside.
    Cant disagree more. Look at Big Ben if you need proof. Yea you may create a pocket but that does you no good if your QB is getting blasted from behind. Those are the hits that cause injuries and turnovers.

You do not need an all-pro...that may be true but I think you need a guy who can play at a high level at that spot. Its exactly why 2 LT prospects (Fisher, Joekel) will likely go in the top 5. I expect the Ravens will address the position even if its just a short term fix that buys them time to develop/look at a guy like Cornell under or a draft pick under Castillo.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Cant disagree more. Look at Big Ben if you need proof. Yea you may create a pocket but that does you no good if your QB is getting blasted from behind. Those are the hits that cause injuries and turnovers.
    Especially the latter in Joe's case.

I agree, you need solid play across the line with Joe, getting an effective pass blocking left tackle is a big help, which is why McKinnie was such a big help, he's not high motor enough to really do a great job in the run game, but as a pass protector he keeps his guy clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post

You do not need an all-pro...that may be true but I think you need a guy who can play at a high level at that spot. Its exactly why 2 LT prospects (Fisher, Joekel) will likely go in the top 5. I expect the Ravens will address the position even if its just a short term fix that buys them time to develop/look at a guy like Cornell under or a draft pick under Castillo.
    If your QB is getting blasted from behind, then either your LT didn't do his job to redirect the guy or your QB didn't make a decision in a decent enough amount of time.

If you're investing a huge chunk of money into your QB, you're just not gonna be able to afford a top LT. That does not mean you have to end up with the line Pitt has, where they depend on Ben to evade pressure as much as anything. And at the same time, you'll probably be drafting fairly low, so you aren't gonna get a top guy in the draft.

Look at what Flacco was able to do in the playoffs with a decent pocket to step up into. McKinnie wasn't superb. But KO, Birk and Yanda did keep the middle pretty clean so Flacco could step up. I don't think I'd seen Flacco step up as much as he did then all season.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Look at what Flacco was able to do in the playoffs with a decent pocket to step up into. McKinnie wasn't superb. But KO, Birk and Yanda did keep the middle pretty clean so Flacco could step up. I don't think I'd seen Flacco step up as much as he did then all season.
    Yup that's that 3-man wall I was screaming about last fall. Even guys like Rogers and Griffin need it. Right, left or center. It doesn't matter.
    Maybe Jah Reid and Bobby Williams should share the team MVP. :D

I think about the Big Whopper...he has his ring and Ray is gone. What or who is going to motivate this fella?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver