Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4849505152 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens to work out Tavon Austin in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    not sure how we can afford another BIG contract...
    This sounds like a crazy idea but if the Ravens cut Suggs with a post-June 1 designation it would save 6.4m against the cap this year and 3.2m against the cap next year. That's more than enough space to absorb the 2013 cap hit Dumervil would have if he signed here.

Basically, would the FO trade Suggs for Dumervil? I know many will disagree but Dumervil is younger and healthier, probably a bit better as a pure pass rusher but not as good against the run.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This sounds like a crazy idea but if the Ravens cut Suggs with a post-June 1 designation it would save 6.4m against the cap this year and 3.2m against the cap next year. That's more than enough space to absorb the 2013 cap hit Dumervil would have if he signed here.

Basically, would the FO trade Suggs for Dumervil? I know many will disagree but Dumervil is younger and healthier, probably a bit better as a pure pass rusher but not as good against the run.
    i cant imagine this board if we cut suggs lol

Blog Entries

Again, if Avril (a younger player than Dumerville) and Bennett got what they did, I'd think we'd easily be able to afford both Suggs and Dumerville. You guys just think we are going to magically fill all those other holes on the roster? That's not happening at this point, you may as well make one big splash on a guy who I'd rather have than three Marcus Spear types covering holes. Just be grateful that the draft happens to be deep in the positions we have needs at.

Blog Entries

If we cut Suggs, I'd be livid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You do realize he had more yards than Torrey Smith had, and about the same amount of yard as Boldin had right? He was far from useless in NE.
    Don't care about stats. They have a different offense than we do.

Not a single game I saw him in last year was anything impressive. He catches the ball (maybe) where you throw it and does nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    i cant imagine this board if we cut suggs lol
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If we cut Suggs, I'd be livid.
    The attitudes of some people on this board over the past week convince me that if we cut Joe Flacco tomorrow, there would be mass panic for about 10 minutes followed by legions of posters telling us all to calm down, the FO has a plan, and that he wasn't really all that good anyway so we'll replace him and continue on our merry way.

In all seriousness it just seems like right now nobody is safe EXCEPT Joe Flacco. The FO is radically remaking this team and some of the moves are not going to sit well with anyone, really. I haven't liked everything so far, but it is what it is.

They also still have Vonta Leach and Jameel McClain on the roster that they could release to free up space, so with a few moves they could probably bring Dumervil in to play opposite Suggs. It would just be a shame to see Upshaw hit the bench after he played so well in 2012, but maybe they would platoon him in at times, and see if he was ready to start in 2014 if Suggs is gone.

I wouldn't cut Suggs yet because I'd like to see what he does this year.

But although I know Leach doesn't agree, I think next year is a real possibility if he can't get close to that DPOY form.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

We CAN afford Dumervil people!!! We have around $9 million in cap room and Leach could still free up cap space. Plus the contracts of Avril and Bennett bring down his value. He will get a max of $8 million per year. The only thing I'm not sure with is how many years he's looking for. Suggs does not have to be cut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I wouldn't cut Suggs yet because I'd like to see what he does this year.

But although I know Leach doesn't agree, I think next year is a real possibility if he can't get close to that DPOY form.
    I think IF he comes close to DPOY form which was probably his 2010 form, I think there's no way you cut him, he's just too much of an asset to the defense at that level. If he comes out and ha slike 5/6 sacks and little production, then yes I'd agree.

But look at it this way. Yes, Boldin was traded, but is Boldin today what Suggs is to this team when he's healthy? Not even close. Suggs can win you games, he is a pass rusher and one hell of an edge defender, you don't find people like Suggs out there without paying a ton of money or picking in the top ten (and even then about 90 % of that doesn't end up being anywhere near Suggs anyway). Bernard Pollard was cut, so what? Pollard is no where near Suggs level, idc what anybody says about that.

So yeah, if Suggs is back to his 2010 form (I'm not at all banking on another DPOY type season, so lets just say 2010 for now) he means just as much to this defense as what Ray Lewis and Ed Reed did in his prime. You don't cut guys like that even if you do have an Elvis Dumerville, you make room on your roster to keep those guys.

Blog Entries

Like to see the Ravens go after Max Starks, he has been very solid past two years in Pittsburgh and vastly underpaid, plus weakens your rival.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Like to see the Ravens go after Max Starks, he has been very solid past two years in Pittsburgh and vastly underpaid, plus weakens your rival.
    I would be pretty chuffed if we got him. He has really good size too. Its arguable that the likes of the Bears got a really bad deal by over paying for guys like Jermon Bushrod, when they could have got someone like Starks on the cheap, who's probably a better pass blocker anyway.

The way our defense rounded into form down the stretch was due in large part to the return of Suggs. He changes the matchups. Kruger and even Suggs struggled to get to the qb past the left tackles, but when good rushers get rt and Te matchups in obvious passing downs, the defense usually wins.
    Denver has been tough on defense since Dumerville got there. Like Suggs, Elvis earned his contract. Injury and a change in the cap inflation in place when they got those deals may make restructures or pay cuts, but teams tend to hold on to these kind of guys until the contract runs out like Freeney, or the gas and cap room runs out like with Harrison.
    Right now pass rushers are plentiful but still a premium position.

:T2: