Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Free Agent Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ricky-Jean Francois is one of my favorite LSU players. I really hoped the Ravens drafted him. Now we get a second chance. Unfortunately so does every other team. I keep hearing the Packers name mentioned with his. This guy is not flying under the radar. He's going to get some good money.
    GB don't have much cap room at all either. It's going to come down to who he'd prefer to play for.

I don't think the Ravens should sign any ILB on the market other than Ellerbe. The whole point of bringing him back is to ensure continuity and stability at the ILB position. They should put every effort into working something out with him, but if not, they'll just prioritize ILB to a higher degree in the draft.

Bynes played well in limited action last year and if McClain's health checks out, I think the team will expect a bounce back year from him with better DL play up front. They are GOING to draft at least one athletic ILB prospect this year and give them every opportunity to win a starting job. Plenty of ILBs drafted in the middle rounds have contributed starters' or near-starters' snaps in their rookie years (Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, etc.) and I just don't see the point in going out and spending money on anybody but Ellerbe.

Best case scenario is Ellerbe next to Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Alec Ogletree, etc. If they can't bring Ellerbe back at a good price, just take that money and get better elsewhere, like at DT/NT, get an athletic guy who can cover and will learn the defense quickly in the draft, and hope you can figure out the position in training camp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not sure Glenn Dorsey is a good fit in a 3-4. I think he'd be a great addition for the Giants or a team like that.

Ricky Jean-Francois is definitely someone I'd be interested in. Good 5-technique player and even though he's not 350 lbs (295-300), he plays with good leverage and technique. Definitely the type of player that the Ravens need.

I also like Larry Grant. At worst, he's excellent depth.
    Dorsey is such a mystery to me. The 2 greatest defensive players in the last 20 years from LSU were Glenn Dorsey and LaRon Landry. I thought both would easily make the transition into great pros yet neither has. Landry has been pretty good but never one of the best at his position. Dorsey is an also-ran. Considering where he was drafted he's a complete bust. I'd like to think that in the right system he'd be good but this is year 6 coming up. If he hasn't shown anything after 5 years I can't see him doing it now.

I think you are right that the Giants are probably the best fit for him. If he is part of a top 4-3 d-line he really has all the tools needed to succeed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't think the Ravens should sign any ILB on the market other than Ellerbe. The whole point of bringing him back is to ensure continuity and stability at the ILB position. They should put every effort into working something out with him, but if not, they'll just prioritize ILB to a higher degree in the draft.

Bynes played well in limited action last year and if McClain's health checks out, I think the team will expect a bounce back year from him with better DL play up front. They are GOING to draft at least one athletic ILB prospect this year and give them every opportunity to win a starting job. Plenty of ILBs drafted in the middle rounds have contributed starters' or near-starters' snaps in their rookie years (Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, etc.) and I just don't see the point in going out and spending money on anybody but Ellerbe.

Best case scenario is Ellerbe next to Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, Alec Ogletree, etc. If they can't bring Ellerbe back at a good price, just take that money and get better elsewhere, like at DT/NT, get an athletic guy who can cover and will learn the defense quickly in the draft, and hope you can figure out the position in training camp.
    I like that plan. Maybe if there is an unexpected cut you bring in a vet on the cheap but looking at who's out there now Ellerbe or bust makes sense.

For what its worth, Peter King thinks Ellerbe is gonna be too expensive for the Ravens.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...r_a2&eref=sihp

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not sure Glenn Dorsey is a good fit in a 3-4. I think he'd be a great addition for the Giants or a team like that.

Ricky Jean-Francois is definitely someone I'd be interested in. Good 5-technique player and even though he's not 350 lbs (295-300), he plays with good leverage and technique. Definitely the type of player that the Ravens need.

I also like Larry Grant. At worst, he's excellent depth.
    The Ravens value versatility highly. For that reason alone, Ricky Jean-Francois (who can play DT, NT, and 5-tech DE) seems like a better fit for the team than one-dimensional guys like Terrence Knighton (who I still like, but only for the right price, which is probably lower than he'd want.)

Whether in the draft or free agency, the Ravens need to get more athletic on the DL. You don't want your linemen playing too many snaps but they need to be able to handle it if required. They have too many bloated guys out there putting too much stress on their lower bodies right now. Every one of Ngata, Cody, Art Jones, and McPhee has had knee/ankle/thigh injuries over their college and NFL careers. All but Cody have also bulked up lately--Ngata has got to be over 350 right now and should be closer to 320, Art Jones was 290 in college but listed at 315 now, and McPhee apparently played most of the year close to 300 pounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    GB don't have much cap room at all either. It's going to come down to who he'd prefer to play for.
    leach, I think the Ravens are very attractive to any FAs out there. Sure some will just go for the $$$, but quite a few want a championship in their NFL careers. Our boys "almost" got there in 2011, and won it in 2012. IMO that swings the "I want to win now" group in our favor... Bc

Blog Entries

shockingly, I can now see that the Ravens may not retain a single free agent of their own, apart from Flacco...

Ellerbe and Kruger seem to be pricing themselves out. Kruger will get it, not so sure if Ellerbe will
    BMac could end up back here, but he's really a bottom of the pile type guy (not much upside, not much money) and will probably look for every dollar he can get
    Reed, who knows what the deal is with him
    Cary Williams has never even been mentioned as a potential stay. I think Ravens want to put Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham into bigger roles, and assume Webb will be healthy.

Did I miss any?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    shockingly, I can now see that the Ravens may not retain a single free agent of their own, apart from Flacco...

Ellerbe and Kruger seem to be pricing themselves out. Kruger will get it, not so sure if Ellerbe will
    BMac could end up back here, but he's really a bottom of the pile type guy (not much upside, not much money) and will probably look for every dollar he can get
    Reed, who knows what the deal is with him
    Cary Williams has never even been mentioned as a potential stay. I think Ravens want to put Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham into bigger roles, and assume Webb will be healthy.

Did I miss any?
    I think you are on point with this. At least we'll get some nice comp picks next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    For what its worth, Peter King thinks Ellerbe is gonna be too expensive for the Ravens.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...r_a2&eref=sihp
    The same Peter King who thought Flacco might end up being a Cleveland Brown this year?

Granted, Ellerbe may end up being too expensive for the Ravens. We'll just have to wait and see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    The ravens did meet with Minter at the combine.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2...tingsteams.php
    Thanks. I had seen a list of players that the Ravens had interviewed posted earlier that did not have Minter's name on it. I really think he would be a good fit for the Ravens defense, especially if he were to somehow fall into the second round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think you are on point with this. At least we'll get some nice comp picks next year.
    Hopefully, BUT, now we have to worry about guys we do sign...

I don't think Ozzie sits pat and says "I'll take my 11 draft picks and build a kingdom". He's going to have to use free agency to add some pieces, and those are going to offset our losses in the comp pick formula.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!