Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Flacco Agrees To Deal, Will Sign on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Joe played out his rookie contract with no hold outs or complaints about if he should play. I wonder if Colin Kaepernick will do the same?
    I think this should be underlined and bolded...Joe really didn't make a big deal out of the contract stuff. He made comments saying he thought he was a top 5 QB, but when the deal didn't get done, he said "alright, i'm going to go to work and prove it"

And you can debate if he did or didn't, but he rolled the dice by not taking a lesser contract and won the SB and a SB MVP. Anyone who was nuts enough to say he wasn't going to get the big money doesn't understand the NFL. Just like pitchers in baseball, QBs get overpaid. It's just how it goes. Joe Flacco wasn't going to take a "#5 QB" deal when he's coming off a SB win and a SB MVP, while also getting the NFL record for road playoff wins. Those numbers, like it or not, propel him into the list, in the eyes of NFL front offices anyway.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think this should be underlined and bolded...Joe really didn't make a big deal out of the contract stuff. He made comments saying he thought he was a top 5 QB, but when the deal didn't get done, he said "alright, i'm going to go to work and prove it"

And you can debate if he did or didn't, but he rolled the dice by not taking a lesser contract and won the SB and a SB MVP. Anyone who was nuts enough to say he wasn't going to get the big money doesn't understand the NFL. Just like pitchers in baseball, QBs get overpaid. It's just how it goes. Joe Flacco wasn't going to take a "#5 QB" deal when he's coming off a SB win and a SB MVP, while also getting the NFL record for road playoff wins. Those numbers, like it or not, propel him into the list, in the eyes of NFL front offices anyway.
    Exactly teams gladly overpay qbs. In these days if you don't have at least a decent qb your team is going to be a bottom dweller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

leach-
    "uijhnediwehnfuiwehnfuiwfhunwnhfNuAUSHNUSHNDUWEFWEF"

Is that Welsh??? ;)

ok, so based on what has thus been reported, which may not all be true... 6/120.6 and 60m guarantee with $7m first year cap hit, that would make for a structure similar to...

2013 - $30m signing bonus, $1m salary cap hit $7m
    2014 - $20m signing bonus, $2m salary cap hit $12m
    2015- $7m salary cap hit $17m- end of fully guaranteed portion of contract
    2016 - $13m salary - cap hit $23m
    2017 - $20m salary - cap hit $30m
    2018 - $27.6m salary- cap hit $31.6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    ok, so based on what has thus been reported, which may not all be true... 6/120.6 and 60m guarantee with $7m first year cap hit, that would make for a structure similar to...

That would be sweet if it were the case. We could then look at a contract extension in 2016 that would get those cap hits down. The salary cap is expected to increase by then anyway.

Other than the $30M and $20M signing bonuses, where is the other $10M guaranteed? The first three years worth of base salaries?

I guess I don't understand how it works when base salaries are "guaranteed," though I know they can be. Future base can be guaranteed, but if the player gets cut before that year the whole "guaranteed base" amount is instantly applied in cut year? Is that how it works?

Blog Entries

bahhahahah.... wow rally? Jake Long struggled with injuries last year and Bryant played admirably for 4 gmes, but this is flat out ridiculous.
    You want a guy who hasnt lived up to the hype and was injured for 10 plus million vs a good player who is SOLID for a third of the pay? That's what is crazy. Mckinney is probably the most underrated player on the whole team and went up against Freeney, Dumerville, (NE..meh) and SF and was basically flawless. You can always add incentives for weight and performace to BM's contract also.

Blog Entries

Maybe I don't understand this properly, but under the scenario you posted, wouldn't it be a $6 mil. cap hit in his 1st year? I'm basing it on $30 mil. bonus (pro-rated to $5 mil. a year) plus a $1 mil. salary... Bc

Blog Entries

A salary is only guaranteed after Game 1 of that season. The "guaranteed" money is roster, option, and signing bonuses. The guaranteed money is important because it's paid upfront to the player, but spread over the life of the contract (I didn't know this, but there's a 5 year limit on that, hence the "split" signing bonus so the 20 mil bonus next year can be spread through the 6th year)

When we talk about contract restructuring, a team would take a year's salary and convert it into another signing bonus, basically paying that money to the player upfront, but again, spreading it over the remaining years of the deal.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

For the record, I'd take Jake Long over Bryant McKinnie any day of the week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Maybe I don't understand this properly, but under the scenario you posted, wouldn't it be a $6 mil. cap hit in his 1st year? I'm basing it on $30 mil. bonus (pro-rated to $5 mil. a year) plus a $1 mil. salary... Bc
    What I didn't know until yesterday, a bonus can only be spread over 5 years...so 30 mil over 5 years is 6 per. THAT is why the 20 mil bonus in 2014, so we don't spread 50 mil over 5 years (10 per every year).

Instead, you have 6mil in 2013, 6mil + 4mil in 2014-2017, and 4 mil in 2018.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    For the record, I'd take Jake Long over Bryant McKinnie any day of the week.
    Me too, but it would cost you about 7 Million extra per season.