Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

QB Restructures continue to help Ravens

Now we can only hope for a couple more before Monday and the difference between the non-exclusive and exclusive tags may not matter as much.

Today, news broke that the long-awaited Ben Roethlisberger restructure was also completed. According to reports, Roethlisberger’s restructure reduced his $19.595M Cap number by $3M. This would also remove Roethlisberger from the top 5 2013 Cap numbers and will further reduce the Exclusive Tag tender amount by $497K, making a new Exclusive Tag amount of $19.086M.

There have been reports of restructures for Lions QB Matthew Stafford (highest), Denver QB Peyton Manning (3rd highest) and Saints QB Drew Brees (4th highest) all in the works. Each one of those would end up further reducing the Exclusive Tag number.

However, for those restructures to matter, according to Article 10, Section 2(g) of the CBA, they must be completed before the Ravens use the Franchise Tag on Joe Flacco, which is likely to occur just before next Monday’s deadline.
    http://russellstreetreport.com/more-...st-for-flacco/
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Joe Linta punches his cat in the face.

Again.

Re: QB Restructures continue to help Ravens

If the number drops to around $18 million, do you use the exclusive?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think they are going to use the exclusive tag regardless if a deal isn't done by Monday.

Also, there is this:

Albert Breer ‏ @ AlbertBreer My sense is the Steelers aren't worried about effecting Flacco's exclusive number w/Ben's restructure. They think Ravens get the deal done.

I think the exclusive vs. non-exclusive is as much about both sides being friendly, trusting and comfortable as it is about the extra difficulty getting under the cap.

If the Ravens feel that Joe will do all he can, short of taking (significantly) less money to stay here (i.e. not sign any offers before giving us a shot), I think the non-exclusive makes sense.

And we can assume that Joe/Linta would prefer the non-exclusive because it would give them a chance to test the market somewhat.

In fact, if things are very friendly, but both sides disagree as to what is "fair" or what other teams would offer Joe, they could sort of agree to settle the issue (of which side is correct) by using the non-exclusive tag.

Of course this involves trust on both sides. Trust that Joe/Linta won't sign a badly-structured offer before checking with us. Trust that the team will actually pay Joe before the season starts vs. forcing him to play the year under the non-exclusive.

Maybe in such high-money business negotiations there can never exist such a level trust, but I think that the demeanor of the sides matters as much or more than the extra $4M or so that the non-exclusive tag would save.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No matter what the number is you have to use the exclusive.

Blog Entries

People ask "Why would the Patriots and Steelers help the Ravens"? On paper it makes no sense why they didn't just wait until 3/5 to do these restructures. Sure, perhaps they think a deal will get worked out and it will all be moot. But maybe a deal doesn't get worked out. They just saved the Ravens $1.3M if so. WHY???

There was a thread the other day about owner collusion. The owners don't want QB salaries to steadily increase to $20+M. It wouldn't surprise me at all that the owners give a wink and a nod to each other all the time regarding the economics of the business. They already beat the players in the last CBA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Now we can only hope for a couple more before Monday and the difference between the non-exclusive and exclusive tags may not matter as much.

http://russellstreetreport.com/more-...st-for-flacco/
    Wow, I read that Staffords deal is close to being done and Brees is in the works. Did not know Peyton was open to a restructure also. If all 3 restructure what does that do to the EFA? I expect this puts the pressure back on Linta and hence maybe the reason the Ravens are waiting it out possibly?

Blog Entries

Well, one possibility is because Flacco's deal will likely impact young QB deals from here on out.

Matt Ryan, Stafford, Cam Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson, RGIII, Luck, Dalton...

No team really wants to pay $20+ mill per year to anyone. Especially if they are looking at a $20+ mill cap number.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, one possibility is because Flacco's deal will likely impact young QB deals from here on out.

No team really wants to pay $20+ mill per year to anyone. Especially if they are looking at a $20+ mill cap number.
    Exactly. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to learn of an invisible ceiling agreed to by the owners that no one will go above a certain #.

Unlike baseball, where one crazy owner frequently breaks rank and gives out a gonzo contract skewing the entire market, the NFL owners are a more fall in line bunch. No one probably wants to go over the Brees #.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

The Lions are already in talks with Stafford about an extension and we know the Falcons have been doing the same with Ryan. I bet both are waiting to see what Flacco gets. The only one who is up now and seems to be outside of the group is Tony Romo.

Regardless what the exclusive tag # is you've got to still use it. We are talking about our franchise QB. When was the last time we could say that here in Baltimore. Can't risk losing Joe so you've got to put yourself in the best position to negotiate with him exclusively.