Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: After extensive analysis.....

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    JAB,

What did you mean by "top heavy"? Notre Dame had top 5 toughest schedule... if not, the toughest schedule by some pundits...

As for USC sucked... sure, they didn't live up the preseason hype, but they didnt suck... the talents were there, but the coaching wasn't (I still wonder how did Lance Kiffin get the job)....
    Yeah USC had the talent, they just gave up towards the end. I do think they tried against ND though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    JAB,

What did you mean by "top heavy"? Notre Dame had top 5 toughest schedule... if not, the toughest schedule by some pundits...

As for USC sucked... sure, they didn't live up the preseason hype, but they didnt suck... the talents were there, but the coaching wasn't (I still wonder how did Lance Kiffin get the job)....
    meaning they may have had a better record (and therefore helped strength of schedule) but i dont think they were necessarily a better team, just in an easier conference. I dont think Standford was light years better than any of those teams i listed. id probably place them behind all of them but maybe Florida, but even they had a great Defense that im not sure I wouldnt have favored them. So Oregon was a good win, imo, their best for sure, but even them i wouldnt place far and away better than those others listed. They may not have had the few cake games LSU did, but the teams they faced i just dont think were top tier teams for the most part outside Oregon and Standford.

FTR, im not saying they lack talent. USC may be a top 10 talented team but they played like shit pretty much all season, imo.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The strength of schedule argument doesn't hold much weight. Successful players in NFL can come from any school. The difference between LSU, Notre Dame and USC isn't that much when you look at it in terms of how players from those schools are prepared for the NFL.

The bigger issue is that the quality at the ILB position just isn't there this year. The value is later on in the draft. I would much rather get the 7th DE in this draft than the top ILB in this draft. Those second tier ILBs like Reddick will be there later in the draft to fill the need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Ill give you Oregon, but UCLA and especially USC sucked. I could careless about preseason grades. Standford wasnt bad but thats just one team in the same class as Florida, Texas A&M, Alabama, South Carolina and Georgia. IMO, NDs schedule wasnt as top heavy, but they didnt have as many "easy" games either. You can say that equals out i guess, but id say the higher caliber teams is greater than facing overall lower, as it gives you a better chance of losing. I just dont see the powerhouse on their schedule, which is what makes people like myself say its weaker.

You can certainly say that as theyve gone above and beyond and clearly have been the most dominate but i just dont think the rest of the conference is somehow now garbage. georgia Florida and South Carolina are all still very good teams. If anything they beat each other up by all playing each other. If you just look at records youll certainly see some "bad" teams, but put those bad teams in other conferences and theyll likely be competing for their title. I think SEC has earned that Aura and continues to do so, even if it is a little more top heavy lately.
    I'm not saying that SC, Georgia, and Florida aren't good.

What I'm saying is that they aren't what they were 2,3, or 4 years ago.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I really thought Gerogia could have been better with the talent they had on that defense this year. Same for LSU.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Other than the 40 (that he did have a good 10 yard split in) I thought he did pretty good in the on field drills. And the other workouts he was in the top 6 at the ILB position.

But like I've said before I don't like him or Minter at 32. And quite frankly, I don't want Ogletree either, he might be a little better athlete than those two but I am not sure he is the better LB.

I want our D-line stronger so we can get some speed guys at LB who can cover. I really like Greene out of Rutgers in the 2nd round.
    Your still going to need guys who can defend the run. What if you struggle to find that NT right away? What if there is an injury. That is why the Ravens' defense was so good for so long. Many of their players were versatile. Ngata stops the run first, but can give some interior pass rush. Suggs, stops the run, rushes the passes and drops into zone coverage. Ellerbe stops the run and blitzes the QB.

Getting a guy who is good in coverage is one thing, at the sacrifice of everything else, it won't work in Baltimore.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Your still going to need guys who can defend the run. What if you struggle to find that NT right away? What if there is an injury. That is why the Ravens' defense was so good for so long. Many of their players were versatile. Ngata stops the run first, but can give some interior pass rush. Suggs, stops the run, rushes the passes and drops into zone coverage. Ellerbe stops the run and blitzes the QB.

Getting a guy who is good in coverage is one thing, at the sacrifice of everything else, it won't work in Baltimore.
    I don't think the only think Green does well is cover or that he can't stop the run. I think is good at that, but not as good as Te'o.

The main reason I want a NT or DT at 32 is I don't really think there are any LB's worthy of a first round pick. If Te'o was better in man coverage I would say hell yeah, go for it. But he is better in zone IMO.

And that's why I actually like Bostic IF we can bring in another big body upfront on the Dline whether it is NG, or move Ngata over and bring in another DT. Put up a better wall to stop the run. Bring in a fast guy who can tackle and fill the gaps along side Ellerbe. With that speed he can also cover. He is also a vocal leader. 6'1" and 245, with 4.5 speed.

The big problem I see, is that almost every scout finds something wrong/negative about almost every player.
    Even Ray, when he came out, was told he was too slow and too small. Some guys simply have above average game speed and are great football players.

This one is confilicting, i love Minter, he's an absoulte sludgehammer in the run game, but like someone mentioned in this thread before so is Ellerbe and if they re-sign him to be the guy they could look for more of a complimentary piece or feel they can get better value later in the draft. Guys like Arthur Brown, Gerald Hodges, Kiko Alonso, Kevin Reddick, Jon Bostic, Sio Moore, etc. tcan be had in rounds 2 thru 4. Depending on needs of others i could see them trading down and still getting Minter in the 2nd too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    This one is confilicting, i love Minter, he's an absoulte sludgehammer in the run game, but like someone mentioned in this thread before so is Ellerbe and if they re-sign him to be the guy they could look for more of a complimentary piece or feel they can get better value later in the draft. Guys like Arthur Brown, Gerald Hodges, Kiko Alonso, Kevin Reddick, Jon Bostic, Sio Moore, etc. tcan be had in rounds 2 thru 4. Depending on needs of others i could see them trading down and still getting Minter in the 2nd too.
    That's what I am saying. I want Minter in the second round and I believe he will be there. They may have to move up from 62, but they should be able to do that with a fifth round pick and they'll be getting another through the compensatory picks that will likely be right after their original fifth.

Then, I want Moore in the mid-late rounds, depending on how the draft shakes out.

Use Minter on the earlier downs to break him in and help him against that rookie wall, while using Moore in obvious passing situations. Get Moore to strengthen his upper body in the off-season and you may have a three down ILB by 2014.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

That's what I am saying. I want Minter in the second round and I believe he will be there. They may have to move up from 62, but they should be able to do that with a fifth round pick and they'll be getting another through the compensatory picks that will likely be right after their original fifth.

Then, I want Moore in the mid-late rounds, depending on how the draft shakes out.

Use Minter on the earlier downs to break him in and help him against that rookie wall, while using Moore in obvious passing situations. Get Moore to strengthen his upper body in the off-season and you may have a three down ILB by 2014.
    Problem is i dont think we could get both, Moore is rising, he's scheme diverse because he can cover, rush on 3rd down, physical enough to play between the tackles but will need some refining, the biggest thing is his motor is non stop and he flies to the football. His upside will get him in the 2nd to 3rd round range imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Problem is i dont think we could get both, Moore is rising, he's scheme diverse because he can cover, rush on 3rd down, physical enough to play between the tackles but will need some refining, the biggest thing is his motor is non stop and he flies to the football. His upside will get him in the 2nd to 3rd round range imo.
    Depending on how Ozzie's board shakes out, I wouldn't put it past him to double dip back to back rounds.