Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: After extensive analysis.....

I watched four full games doing nothing but paying attention to Minter.

I watched LSU vs. Washington, Florida, Texas A&M, and Alabama.

I don't see what there is to be excited about regarding Kevin Minter.

I saw a lot of drag-down tackles. I saw a lot of the ol' "College Jog" halfheartedly "chasing" the play from behind. I saw a lot of him getting trapped in the garbage at the Line of Scrimmage. I saw a lot of RBs making it around the edge in the run game. I saw a lot of FBs, TEs, and O-Lineman completely neutralizing Minter with simple positional blocking.

Versus Florida where he was credited with 20 tackles and had two sacks, the sacks came on back-to-back plays where the scheme by LSU's front four left Minter untouched en route to the QB. He forced a fumble in that game which is uncredited in his stat line...not sure why. That was a good play, but it was 8-10 yards downfield after the ballcarrier was spinning away from a would-be arm-tackler who was clinging to a handful of jersey.

Versus Texas A&M, I saw him make two good plays on Manziel when Minter was in a spy role...but his INT came on a pass that ricocheted off a (wide open) receiver's shoulder-pad right into Minter's hands five yards away where he was covering no one despite that particular receiver coming straight into Minter's zone.

This is not to say that I think Kevin Minter is a bad football player. He isn't. He is rarely ever off his feet...he's very stout at the point of attack. He gets stood up and walled off far more than cut or pancaked. He makes tackles. If he has a shot at the ballcarrier, most of the time he does bring him down...but he looks slow on film (and ran slow at the combine...tried to find his 10-yard split, but was unable), he gets washed out of WAY too many plays, he looks awkward in coverage (playing almost exclusively zone...VERY few instances where he was in man), and he doesn't flash as an athlete when you're watching the game...if he wasn't a short little fire-plug looking guy who always lines up dead in the middle of the defense, it would be tough to pick him out pre / post-snap.

The NFL Draft Advisory board gave Minter a 3rd round grade before he decided to come out, and I think that's about right for him as a player. He is much more like Ed Hartwell than Ray Lewis...and that's not to say that ANY Linebacker who comes out has a chance to fill Ray's shoes (especially not two months after he retired), but Minter (to me) looks like a 2-down ILB, and not even a dominant one at that.

We need someone, even if Ellerbe is retained, and if Minter is the guy, I'll get on board and hope for the best, but I'd be much more excited to see him drafted in the 3rd or 4th round than at #32. Honestly, I don't think there is an ILB worth a 1st round pick in this draft.

Blog Entries

Great post, Doctor. And it is EXACTLY what I saw of him too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    There really aren't any GREAT teams, at least this year. Michigan was a good team, Michigan State was a good team, Oklahoma was a good team, Pitt was okay. BC was below okay.

The best game I think Te'o had was Michigan State.

Yeah I watched the Michigan state game, and at the time, i honestly thought he was a future pro bowler with the way he played in that game. He also looked much better IMO in 2011 than he did this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah I watched the Michigan state game, and at the time, i honestly thought he was a future pro bowler with the way he played in that game. He also looked much better IMO in 2011 than he did this season.
    I think he was more consistent this year and had better recognition of where to be in coverage this year. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I watched four full games doing nothing but paying attention to Minter.

I watched LSU vs. Washington, Florida, Texas A&M, and Alabama.

I don't see what there is to be excited about regarding Kevin Minter.

I saw a lot of drag-down tackles. I saw a lot of the ol' "College Jog" halfheartedly "chasing" the play from behind. I saw a lot of him getting trapped in the garbage at the Line of Scrimmage. I saw a lot of RBs making it around the edge in the run game. I saw a lot of FBs, TEs, and O-Lineman completely neutralizing Minter with simple positional blocking.

Versus Florida where he was credited with 20 tackles and had two sacks, the sacks came on back-to-back plays where the scheme by LSU's front four left Minter untouched en route to the QB. He forced a fumble in that game which is uncredited in his stat line...not sure why. That was a good play, but it was 8-10 yards downfield after the ballcarrier was spinning away from a would-be arm-tackler who was clinging to a handful of jersey.

Versus Texas A&M, I saw him make two good plays on Manziel when Minter was in a spy role...but his INT came on a pass that ricocheted off a (wide open) receiver's shoulder-pad right into Minter's hands five yards away where he was covering no one despite that particular receiver coming straight into Minter's zone.

This is not to say that I think Kevin Minter is a bad football player. He isn't. He is rarely ever off his feet...he's very stout at the point of attack. He gets stood up and walled off far more than cut or pancaked. He makes tackles. If he has a shot at the ballcarrier, most of the time he does bring him down...but he looks slow on film (and ran slow at the combine...tried to find his 10-yard split, but was unable), he gets washed out of WAY too many plays, he looks awkward in coverage (playing almost exclusively zone...VERY few instances where he was in man), and he doesn't flash as an athlete when you're watching the game...if he wasn't a short little fire-plug looking guy who always lines up dead in the middle of the defense, it would be tough to pick him out pre / post-snap.

The NFL Draft Advisory board gave Minter a 3rd round grade before he decided to come out, and I think that's about right for him as a player. He is much more like Ed Hartwell than Ray Lewis...and that's not to say that ANY Linebacker who comes out has a chance to fill Ray's shoes (especially not two months after he retired), but Minter (to me) looks like a 2-down ILB, and not even a dominant one at that.

We need someone, even if Ellerbe is retained, and if Minter is the guy, I'll get on board and hope for the best, but I'd be much more excited to see him drafted in the 3rd or 4th round than at #32. Honestly, I don't think there is an ILB worth a 1st round pick in this draft.
    Good stuff, there certaintly seems to be some better values in this draft as well as better compliments to Ellerbe and players more conducive to our need for LB's that can cover and move in space.

As mentioned earlier, McClellan and Bynes are two guys that will be back, Specifically McClellan is a guy i think could play at least inside on running downs if we take a guy that needs some grooming. A guy i really like is Sio Moore, he'd be ready from day one to cover and it's not that he couldnt play the run early on but i know if he isnt lights out early on the coaching staff is gonna lean towards guys they know. Also add guys like Gerald Hodges, Kiko Alonso, etc. to that list.

The more I read and watch from this LBer crew, the more I think there is better value with the 32nd pick then an ILBer. I think I'd be happier with Jesse Williams then I would be all but maybe Ogletree, who does provide some athleticism we do not currently have on the roster. If Tavon were to somehow be there, he'd absolutely be the pick, despite playng a position we have a logjam at. Still want to find a way to trade up for Lane Johnson, though I know it's a long shot.

AndI never thought I'd say this, btu trading back is looking more and more likely, which should allow us perhaps to trade back up and have 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 which would be pretty darn nice. Pwerhaps we could enter the 4th round with MInter, Brandon Williams, Chris Faulk and Tyrann Mathieu in tow. Or something similar to that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    The more I read and watch from this LBer crew, the more I think there is better value with the 32nd pick then an ILBer. I think I'd be happier with Jesse Williams then I would be all but maybe Ogletree, who does provide some athleticism we do not currently have on the roster. If Tavon were to somehow be there, he'd absolutely be the pick, despite playng a position we have a logjam at. Still want to find a way to trade up for Lane Johnson, though I know it's a long shot.

AndI never thought I'd say this, btu trading back is looking more and more likely, which should allow us perhaps to trade back up and have 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 which would be pretty darn nice. Pwerhaps we could enter the 4th round with MInter, Brandon Williams, Chris Faulk and Tyrann Mathieu in tow. Or something similar to that.
    Wide receiver.

I don't think the Ravens need a WR.

However, I could see the Ravens looking at guys like Hunter, Hopkins, and maybe Austin at 32. You're talking about potentially the best or 2nd best receiver in this draft vs maybe the 7th or 8th best DL'man, 7th or 8th best pass rusher, or 5th or 6th best offensive lineman.

What has more value?

DeAndre Hopkins in a Ravens' uniform would be SICK.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind trading back if the 2nd pick we got (to make it worth our while) could be used with our other picks to get another 2nd round pick.

So basically acquire 1 second round pick for our 32, have our other second round pick 64 and another from trading the one we got and a few others.

This draft is deep enough that 3 second round picks would be awesome!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: After extensive analysis.....

... And I never thought I'd say this, but trading back is looking more and more likely, which should allow us perhaps to trade back up and have 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 which would be pretty darn nice. Perhaps we could enter the 4th round with MInter, Brandon Williams, Chris Faulk and Tyrann Mathieu in tow. Or something similar to that...
    If Ozzie can pull off that quartet, after winning a Super Bowl, he will truly be the wizard in my eyes :) ... Bc

And you're always right? I've been right about Paul kruger, Corey Grahame, Terrell Suggs, Michael Oher, etc....

And the facts do remain that Te'o didn't play many great teams this season apart from Stanford and Alabama, and he looked really poor in one and average in the other.
    i don't make any ridiculously outlandish comments like you do and then you get made to look like an idiot.

But since your blowing your own trumpet and all here, you've got many more wrong, one being this, another being that fella that plays QB for us... 2 of many

He had IMO a far better this year than he did last year, minus one game which apparently overrules everything he's done in the rest of his career.

His coverage greatly improved, so I think it can improve even more under nfl level coaching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    i don't make any ridiculously outlandish comments like you do and then you get made to look like an idiot.

But since your blowing your own trumpet and all here, you've got many more wrong, one being this, another being that fella that plays QB for us... 2 of many
    Don't see how I'm wrong about Te'o, there is a long way to go before there can be a correct conclusion on him. Flacco I've been wrong on but it was only really minor, and my comments were widely misunderstood and even though I've tried to tell you that, you still can't get it in you're head that I never thought Joe was average or bad, and I actually went on record saying that Joe can win a SB with the right pieces around him, I said he deserves an Eli Manning deal back then, now I think he should be one of the best paid QBs in the league.

Now what else have I been completely wrong on? Or are you just going to lurk around here and wait for every single comment I make that you disagree with to pop up and flame me.