Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3536373839 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

ANd there goes any shot of getting Jordan...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Margus Hunt 6'8" 277 4.65 forty WOW

BTW None of these guys are really sloppy build wise
    And did 38 reps (the most of anyone I think).

This dude might be the most impressive strength/speed/size guy of any of them.

Baby Kruger unofficial 4.88

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    And did 38 reps (the most of anyone I think).

This dude might be the most impressive strength/speed/size guy of any of them.
    38 reps for someone with an 82 inch wingspan is very impressive. You know how hard that it is to get that kind of weight up 38 times. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I'm in love with Minter. My concern is that, with Ogletree and Teo dipping a bit, I see the odds of him even being there at 32 as below 50/50 right now. Heck, he might be gone before pick 20 even arrives.

It sounds like the worst strategy in the world to trade up to get a guy at a devalued position, but is there any chance we do that to get Minter?
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Are you saying that you feel Minter will go higher than Ogletree or Te'o, and thus perhaps the Ravens should trade up to ensure they get Minter over those guys?

I would be heartbroken over that move because Minter is below both Ogletree and Te'o on my big board and I would much prefer the Ravens to get one of those two as pure football players. Taking Minter over them would be a classic example of devaluing football performance vs. off the field concerns.

Now, admittedly, I am concerned by Ogletree's brushes with the law. I'm a law-and-order kind of guy and habitual drug concerns, repeated legal issues, etc. are big problems for me, so I can understand if Ogletree's baggage carries him downward, but the guy is a top-15 talent on tape. For him to fall to 32 sounds like a typical Ozzie pick to me. Te'o is less concerning and quite worthy of being taken over Minter. So no, I wouldn't trade up for Minter if I felt Ogletree or Te'o would be there at 32.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Are you saying that you feel Minter will go higher than Ogletree or Te'o, and thus perhaps the Ravens should trade up to ensure they get Minter over those guys?

I would be heartbroken over that move because Minter is below both Ogletree and Te'o on my big board and I would much prefer the Ravens to get one of those two as pure football players. Taking Minter over them would be a classic example of devaluing football performance vs. off the field concerns.

Now, admittedly, I am concerned by Ogletree's brushes with the law. I'm a law-and-order kind of guy and habitual drug concerns, repeated legal issues, etc. are big problems for me, so I can understand if Ogletree's baggage carries him downward, but the guy is a top-15 talent on tape. For him to fall to 32 sounds like a typical Ozzie pick to me. Te'o is less concerning and quite worthy of being taken over Minter. So no, I wouldn't trade up for Minter if I felt Ogletree or Te'o would be there at 32.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with anyone ranking Minter over both those guys, but there is no way he is so much higher that he is worth trading up for if one of the other 2 are going to fall to you.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    38 reps for someone with an 82 inch wingspan is very impressive. You know how hard that it is to get that kind of weight up 38 times. Damn.
    I do, seeing how that is about my wingspan. And the most I've ever gotten to 225 is 14 times. Dude tripled that. TRIPLED.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    ANd there goes any shot of getting Jordan...
    There are some guys who you know are going to kill it at the combine.

Jordan was definitely one.

No way he slid down to the end of round one.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There are some guys who you know are going to kill it at the combine.

Jordan was definitely one.

No way he slid down to the end of round one.
    Margus Hunt is another one of those guys. If he was a few years younger I think he'd be a top 20 guy (someone might take him there).

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Margus Hunt is another one of those guys. If he was a few years younger I think he'd be a top 20 guy (someone might take him there).
    I said it months ago and I'll say it again: every draft has a theme running through it of a position that gets hot, or a few prospects that shoot up boards, or something otherwise surprising and trend-breaking.

My prediction for this year's draft: a HUGE run on defensive linemen. I could easily see 8 or more interior linemen and another 7 edge rushers (DEs and OLBs). That's maybe upwards of 15 picks going toward the DL as a whole, which sounds ridiculous, but here are the guys who carry 1st round grades IMO:

Interior (DT/NT/5-tech DE) - Star Lotulelei, Shariff Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Kawann Short, Johnathan Hankins, John Jenkins, Datone Jones, Margus Hunt, Sylvester Williams, Bennie Logan

Edge (DE/OLB) - Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor, Barkevious Mingo

That's 17 defensive linemen that I believe have a chance to go in the 1st round and I'm being fairly conservative with the DEs. Now obviously some of them are going to fall, but even having 12 DL in the first round would be WAY more than average. The 2010 draft was seen as having an incredibly deep DL group as well, and 9 went in the first round. That would definitely cause a lot of good talent to be available at 32.

Pass-rushing defensive linemen are just at such a huge premium in the NFL, and even if guys like Margus Hunt or Ziggy Ansah are raw, they just have too much pure talent to be sitting around for too long. Aldon Smith was very raw coming out of Missouri but the 49ers knew that he could be very impactful as nothing other than a nickel rusher in year 1. That's going to be the standard for a lot of these guys coming into the nickel in year 1 and preparing to be every-down starters by years 2 or 3.

Datone Jones at 283 look REALLY good in the change of direction drills along with Jordan Hill (Penn St)

Blog Entries

Just to put things into perspective here...

40 times are great and all, but 10-yard splits are really the best indicator of a DL'man's ability to rush the QB.

For example, Michael Buchannon (6'6" 255lbs) only clocked a 4.71, but his split is 1.59, which is really solid.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.