Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Webb Recovery Time and Long-Term Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I guess I'm putting more stock in the idea of familiarity with the process than most.
    how does that make him heal faster though? being familiar with it is only mental not really physically altering anything.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    how does that make him heal faster though? being familiar with it is only mental not really physically altering anything.
    It gives him a better idea of what works, what doesn't, timetables, and how he should feel before actually getting out there and running/cutting.

Like GOTA said, every injury is different and everyone is different.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    There is the possibility that his previous recovery was slowed, due to mistakes on his part. Judgment plays a significant role in recovering from an injury. There are plenty of examples of when someone 'feels' better and pushes it, only to cause setbacks. He now has a better understanding of what healing methods were effective for him and under what circumstances.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I just dont think that was really an issue with him. I dont remember hearing there was any setbacks and i highly doubt he wasnt pushing as hard as the staff wanted. I trust our medical staff to understand that to be an issue. If you think its going to help i think you could say it could just as easily be a reason for him to push too hard this time and have a setback, so i just dont really see it as advantage or disadvantage. I dont think its going to help his body heal faster and as far as rehabbing his knee, it basically comes down to strengthening the hamstring and quad which im going to assume the staff once again has a better understanding of how to do it than Webb or myself. I think theres a protocol to follow, and although he may have aced something and moved quickly past it before, doesnt mean this time he can just skip it as he may need that one more. I dont think if I went in to rehab my other knee that my program would be much different if at all. therefore i dont see it effecting the time table much at all.
    -JAB

Moving Webb to Safety and Danny Gorrer all in one post. All I can say is :grbac:.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I'm drawing a blank, it wasn't the same knee correct?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Stop bringing up Adrian Peterson as even HALFWAY relevant to this discussion. Just stop it. That dude is a freak of nature with wolverine blood, and his recovery is a huge exception, NOT the rule.

ACL's take 7-9 months to recover physically which is true of pretty much everyone. Nobody disputes that. But add another 6+ months on top of that for COMPLETE recovery, i.e. mental and emotional. When you've blown your knee out it takes a long time to get the confidence back in it, especially when you FEEL the knee creaking and straining (as scar tissue breaks up) for months and months after you're "technically" 100% physically. Just the pure reprogramming of the muscle memory takes a long, long time.

We don't really even know how long it took Webb to recover from the last one, frankly. He was terrible throughout all of 2010 mostly because he MENTALLY was not recovered, so he really got his confidence back somewhere between January 2011 and September 2011. He sustained the first ACL tear in December 2009, so you're talking about well over a year worth of recovery time.

Will it be shorter this time? Maybe, hopefully. But smart money IMO is on Webb never being 100% as a man-to-man cover corner in 2013. He will not have the recovery speed, cutting ability, and agility that were hallmarks of his game in the past. That is part of what makes a temporary move to FS a good idea... that would protect him from having to do too much cutting and running directly with receivers downfield. He would be able to use his instincts, awareness, and read-and-react skills to cover instead of being more reliant on raw athleticism.

I have been on the bandwagon of saying that Webb could be an All-Pro free safety since before he was even drafted by the Ravens. The reason is very simple: he has a prototypical safety skill-set (awareness, ability to play the ball in the air, sound tackling, instincts, etc.) All he lacks as a safety is size, which is irrelevant as he plays much bigger than his size.

He has a good cornerback skill-set as well, and because corners are more valuable than safeties he has proven that he should stay at CB long-term. But short-term, if the ACL would hold him back from playing CB at 100% in 2013, he should move to FS temporarily. That would also have the double benefit of allowing us to groom Ed Reed's long-term replacement for a year while we have a very capable fill-in for Webb's role in Corey Graham on the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I'm drawing a blank, it wasn't the same knee correct?
    No, it wasn't same knee. I said that above :)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, get over it. You saw how good Chykie Brown and Corey Graham were, right? Guess what? They're both signed next year.
    Chykie Brown has looked good at times, but I'm not sure he's earned my confidence yet. Hopefully he'll come on strong in his third year.

Even though we already have Webb, Smith, Graham, Brown, and Asa Jackson under contract for at least one more year, I'd feel better about that CB corps with Gorrer in it. Webb, Smith, and Jackson have all missed significant time in the last year (some of them for better reasons than others), so adding depth at CB seems really important. And considering our cap situation, we won't be able to sign any high-priced FAs. If Gorrer is still bouncing around the league, he seems like a nice solution.

I see both sides. I just think what you have to think about is would you rather have struggle at CB or be better at safety as least starting out. Look at the patriots with mccourty(without the injury). He was considered there best corner and he moved to safety after they signed talib. He wasn't great but wasn't terrible. I think if the ravens moved him we would get a similar result because if we cannot keep reed Webb would be a suitable replacement. Not as good as reed but better than any draft pick or FA in my opinion. On the other hand I do not want to take graham out of the nickel where he excelled. Jimmy smith may be getting his confidence back, point is either way we have depth at corner and safety will be addressed in the draft at some point

What we do and how we score in this year's draft may either accelerate Webb's transition to safety or put those thoughts on the back burner. Ozzie has said that the focus of the draft will be about improving the middle of the defense (i.e DTs, ILBs, safeties). If we get a solid safety in this year's draft we'll have the luxury of keeping Webb on the corner. I think Webb will be fine long term. He's been through this process before and knows the mental and physical demands of rehabbing this kind of injury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    Chykie Brown has looked good at times, but I'm not sure he's earned my confidence yet. Hopefully he'll come on strong in his third year.

Even though we already have Webb, Smith, Graham, Brown, and Asa Jackson under contract for at least one more year, I'd feel better about that CB corps with Gorrer in it. Webb, Smith, and Jackson have all missed significant time in the last year (some of them for better reasons than others), so adding depth at CB seems really important. And considering our cap situation, we won't be able to sign any high-priced FAs. If Gorrer is still bouncing around the league, he seems like a nice solution.
    My question, understanding where you are coming from, would be how much more Gorrer has shown you, compared to Chykie Brown?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore