Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Webb Recovery Time and Long-Term Prospects

How optimistic should we be about seeing Lardarius Webb return to full strength next season?

It seems to take most CBs a full season of playing to get back to full speed. If he's lost a step, would it make sense to move him to safety (assuming, of course, that Reed isn't around)? Webb has always been a great tackler for a CB, and that skill should serve him well at FS. Maybe then the Ravens could bring in Gorrer for some depth at CB. (I still can't get over his release.)

On a related note, does Webb's injury give the front office some leverage for a restructuring of his contract? If so, is there any useful restructuring to be done? or is that impossible, given that he is still near the beginning of a long-term deal with a large amount of guaranteed money?

Blog Entries

Re: Webb Recovery Time and Long-Term Prospects

:grbac:

Isn't this like the 50th thread about moving Webb to safety?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    How optimistic should we be about seeing Lardarius Webb return to full strength next season?

It seems to take most CBs a full season of playing to get back to full speed. If he's lost a step, would it make sense to move him to safety (assuming, of course, that Reed isn't around)? Webb has always been a great tackler for a CB, and that skill should serve him well at FS. Maybe then the Ravens could bring in Gorrer for some depth at CB. (I still can't get over his release.)

On a related note, does Webb's injury give the front office some leverage for a restructuring of his contract? If so, is there any useful restructuring to be done? or is that impossible, given that he is still near the beginning of a long-term deal with a large amount of guaranteed money?
    I think that I can answer a few of these questions.

1.) We should be more optimistic about his return from this ACL injury, because it happened earlier in the season and he has experience rehabbing this injury.

2.) If he has lost a step, it may be something to consider, but you first need to give him the opportunity to show that he has fully recovered.

3.) If the team is concerned about Webb's durability or ability to handle the CB position, he would not be the ideal player for contract restructuring. That would be a player that you are fully confident in seeing play out the length of the deal. So, when you backload some of that money, you are still getting a return on your investment. Either way, after two ACL injuries, I don't think Webb would be a likely candidate, whether he comes back strong or not.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I actually think this debate of moving him to FS holds a lot more water now that he has two torn ACL in 3 years. Durability is an issue. Problem is, and why I still dont think itll happen, hes the best CB on this team when healthy, and hes being paid top CB money not S money.

to answer your question about being optimistic. I am not. I think he takes a year to get back to form. he didnt really progress much during the season when he was recovering, and because of that i think low expectations are in order. If he started out bad and ended up looking pretty good by the end of 2010 i could say the extra time would prove helpful to some degree but it seems to me hes just a slower healer than others. You have Webb that had a subpar return year 9 months after injury and pretty much continued the entire season that way vs and Adrian Peterson who almost set a single season record after the same amount of time.

Its no knock on Webb, im sure hes rehabbing just as hard as anybody, people just heal differently. having this injury myself and knowing others with it, the time frames in which we healed were all over the place, but most Drs wont clear you for sports until 6 months regardless of how fast you heal.

Just to clarify, I do think Webb can be effective this year and possibly still our best CB, I just dont think hes going to return to all pro form right away and will need an entire season to regain some of that explosion and ability. When youre talking about one of the best in the league playing down, he can still be very good. Going through it before I think it will only be helpful in the aspect that hell already know what exercises to do, but the time frame wont really change at all just because he went through it already, imo.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Webb's tear was on his left knee. His previous ACL tear was right knee. On the one hand, I guess both knees will be a bit weaker from having the reconstruction done on them. But obviously, the worst case would be, like RG3, having the tear on the same knee that previously had it.

When he had the tear last time, it was in late December 2009, and he returned in Week 2 of the 2010 season. So, that'd be about 9 months from injury to playing (albeit not at full speed I guess). IF that same timetable holds true, he'd be able to play by mid-July, so roughly by the start of camp.

My guess is he starts camp on the active roster, but is held out for a week or so to make sure he's able to do his work without issues.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post

Well, get over it. You saw how good Chykie Brown and Corey Graham were, right? Guess what? They're both signed next year.

Furthermore, why move one of the top young corner backs in the NFL to safety? He'll be fine. He isn't the first guy to deal with multiple knee injuries. He won't be the last. Everyone keeps saying to move Webb to safety, but I'll never understand why. Part of the reason why Webb is so good is because he can play nickel effectively. So, in nickel sets - if he is a safety - what are the Ravens supposed to do? Drop him down to nickel and put someone else in at safety? No.

IMO, the only person in the corner unit who might be a decent candidate to drop back to free safety is Jimmy Smith.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Webb's tear was on his left knee. His previous ACL tear was right knee. On the one hand, I guess both knees will be a bit weaker from having the reconstruction done on them. But obviously, the worst case would be, like RG3, having the tear on the same knee that previously had it.

When he had the tear last time, it was in late December 2009, and he returned in Week 2 of the 2010 season. So, that'd be about 9 months from injury to playing (albeit not at full speed I guess). IF that same timetable holds true, he'd be able to play by mid-July, so roughly by the start of camp.

My guess is he starts camp on the active roster, but is held out for a week or so to make sure he's able to do his work without issues.
    Not necessarily.

He actually might be better for it. One of the reasons why guys who injure one knee are a greater risk to injure the other is because they overcompensate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, get over it. You saw how good Chykie Brown and Corey Graham were, right? Guess what? They're both signed next year.

Furthermore, why move one of the top young corner backs in the NFL to safety? He'll be fine. He isn't the first guy to deal with multiple knee injuries. He won't be the last. Everyone keeps saying to move Webb to safety, but I'll never understand why. Part of the reason why Webb is so good is because he can play nickel effectively. So, in nickel sets - if he is a safety - what are the Ravens supposed to do? Drop him down to nickel and put someone else in at safety? No.

IMO, the only person in the corner unit who might be a decent candidate to drop back to free safety is Jimmy Smith.
    word:word

Blog Entries

If Adrian Peterson can come off a serious ACL injury (that occurred later in the season than Webb's) and win MVP, Webb can come back and at the very least be a very solid nickel corner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Adrian Peterson can come off a serious ACL injury (that occurred later in the season than Webb's) and win MVP, Webb can come back and at the very least be a very solid nickel corner.
    And he is constantly getting hit and cutting on his knee.

Blog Entries

Every injury is different. We're just going to have to wait and see how Webb looks when healthy

Blog Entries

I guess I'm putting more stock in the idea of familiarity with the process than most.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore