Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Peyton Manning in December, 2012:

Regarding Reed, Manning said: "Ed Reed, in my opinion, is the best safety in the NFL and has been for this past decade. I could go on and on. He's got tremendous ball skills, tremendous range and (he is) a tremendous athlete."

Based on what some of the best quarterbacks in the game today say, I think he still affects the game planning of opposing offenses, but maybe that's just me.
    Andrew Luck also weighs in on Ed Reed. When asked what was the most difficult part of facing Baltimore's defense, he says, "it's Ed Reed" and goes on to explain how special Reed is.

Skip to 1:40: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player...Super-Bowl-QBs

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    I do believe re-signing him will be costly money-wise. He played for ~$7m this past season. What do you think he's going to want this season? Ray Lewis's "sunset" contract took him to age 38, next season. If he was going to play out that contract, he'd be owed ~$5.4m this season, with another $2m of spread-out signing bonus cap hit that we're going to absorb even in his retirement. Do you think Ed Reed is going to sit down this offseason, look at his Super Bowl ring, and suddenly decide that he only wants to come back to Baltimore, and is prepared to do it for, say, $2m a year? What happens when Bill Belichick or Chuck Pagano rings him up when free agency opens and offers 3 years for $10m or more?

Yeah, waiting too long to get Flacco signed to a long-term deal will cost us more than whatever we do with Reed, but make no mistake: taking the sentimental approach of having Reed "retire a Raven" in some year other than 2013 is going to take up cap space that could have been used for someone else. Does Reed get $7m a year? That's Paul Kruger or releasing Anquan Boldin. $5m a year? That's Dannell Ellerbe or releasing Jacoby Jones. $3m a year? That's Vonta Leach right there. And let's not forget: next year is the last year of Oher's deal, and he's going to want at least some sort of decent contract for an OT. It's the last year for Boldin, Jacoby, Leach, if they remain with the team. It's the last year for Corey Graham, who many are counting on to replace Cary Williams. Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson will be UFAs, as will Arthur Jones. And it's the next to last year for Torrey Smith, and the first one he's eligible to work towards an extension... say he has his breakout season, how much is he going to cost?

If you put Ed Reed on the books for 2-3 more years, IT WILL COST US PLAYERS. This is indisputable.
    For some reason you think Ed is getting $7m a year. Ed himself thinks he's getting $7M. It's not happening. Not here and not outside of Baltimore. Cost us players? Who do you want us to keep? In my opinion the top 3 priorities after Flacco are Ellerbee, Kruger and Williams. I believe Kruger and Williams are gone. By the way we will lose players whether we resign Ed or not. We have 20 players that are either unrestricted or restricted. You make it sound like keeping Ed around will set the organization back a few years. You can make the argument that signing Flacco, keeping Ellerbee, Kruger, Cary Williams, Boldin, Leach, Mckinnie, will cost us players. The list goes on. Singling out one player and suggesting he's going to cost us players is a bit overreacting.
    Last but not least the Ravens have proven that they do not take the sentimental approach to keeping players around. They value Reed but at the right price. His value is between $4 and $5m.

Blog Entries

I'd like to see Reed back. Obviously, "right player, right price" still applies, but Reed is still worth at least two players back there in centerfield. Offenses change when they're facing Ed Reed, and that's remained true despite our defensive struggles this year. He stepped it up more in the postseason, moreover.

I trust Ozzie. If he can pull it off, 20 will be a Raven until he retires. He won't do it in a way that damages the team.

We are going to lose players. I don't think any consistently winning organization is ever able to keep all of the players they develop. Not us, not Pittsburgh, not New England. Perhaps it's just my bias, but it seems Ravens players are in the most demand around the NFL, and not just this year that they've won the SB.

4. Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Perhaps it's just my bias, but it seems Ravens players are in the most demand around the NFL, and not just this year that they've won the SB.
    On defense, yeah.
    Other teams have been constantly poaching our defensive coaches and players ever since the first Super Bowl in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    For some reason you think Ed is getting $7m a year. Ed himself thinks he's getting $7M. It's not happening. Not here and not outside of Baltimore. Cost us players? Who do you want us to keep? In my opinion the top 3 priorities after Flacco are Ellerbee, Kruger and Williams. I believe Kruger and Williams are gone. By the way we will lose players whether we resign Ed or not. We have 20 players that are either unrestricted or restricted. You make it sound like keeping Ed around will set the organization back a few years. You can make the argument that signing Flacco, keeping Ellerbee, Kruger, Cary Williams, Boldin, Leach, Mckinnie, will cost us players. The list goes on. Singling out one player and suggesting he's going to cost us players is a bit overreacting.
    Last but not least the Ravens have proven that they do not take the sentimental approach to keeping players around. They value Reed but at the right price. His value is between $4 and $5m.
    If the choice is between Ellerbe and Reed, I'd rather keep Ellerbe.

If the choice is between Kruger and Reed, I'd rather keep Kruger, but I agree that he's probably gone, and will not be worth what some team is likely to pay him. The same may be true for Ellerbe too.

If the choice is between a competent but not superstar LT and Reed, give me the tackle. You see how much better our line plays with Osemele at guard and Oher on the right side.

If the choice is between Boldin and Reed or Jacoby and Reed, I'll take the WR.

Ray Lewis, at 38, could probably sit in a film room and be a huge asset to the team, breaking down plays, determining tendencies, being able to read what an opponent is going to do. But his body is no longer capable of doing what needs to be done about it. And he's retiring because of that. Ed Reed is on that same path. A step slower here, a moment's reaction time there. The interception turns into just a PD. The PD turns into an allowed completion. The bad angle turns into an opposing touchdown. The missed tackle turns into a huge gain. We've already started to see it in bits and pieces. Having someone "retire as a Raven" is a terrible argument for letting that sort of breakdown happen to one of our players for an entire year, or more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Peyton Manning in December, 2012:

Regarding Reed, Manning said: "Ed Reed, in my opinion, is the best safety in the NFL and has been for this past decade. I could go on and on. He's got tremendous ball skills, tremendous range and (he is) a tremendous athlete."

Based on what some of the best quarterbacks in the game today say, I think he still affects the game planning of opposing offenses, but maybe that's just me.
    Its pretty well known that he still effects both game planning and actual in game decisions. watching the game you can pretty much pick up on that fact. if they do throw to reeds side, its typically underneath when hes over top on a deeper route. Just because hes not getting 10 picks a season people act like hes not out there anymore, when in reality, its because he was getting 10 picks a season that he no longer has those opportunities. His coverage and impact in that one aspect is the same as it ever was and imo, is unlikely to change by the time he retires as greatly as some are saying.
    -JAB

When has Ed Reed cost us a game? He's played all 32 regular season and 6 post season games in the past two years? He doesn't need to hit people hard he doesn't need to be as physical as he used to be. That's why we got Pollard, Webb, and Jimmy. Reed is the outfielder.

Tavares Gooden could catch Adrian Peterson from behind and hit hard as hell. So what? The game is 90% mental and Ed is one of the smartest players in the league. Y'all make it seem as if other safeties don't mess up and let plays happen their way. Ed Reed would NEVER have let the Flacco to Jacoby pass happen if be were playing for Denver.

I think Ed will be back.

And to those saying that if we sign Ed we lose Ellerbe or Kruger...who cares? We love those guys for their contributions but how many times have we seen an UDFA Linebacker play well for the Ravens and go on to do nothing. More often than not, the players we have on this team are a product of the system. Obviously Ellerbe is going to look like a beast playing next to 4 super star defenders.

Ed Reed at 60% of his prime is still better than 95% of the safeties in the league. He was simply that good and spoiled us all. He was once legendary great; now he's just really good.

If the choice is between Ellerbe and Reed, I'd rather keep Ellerbe.

If the choice is between Kruger and Reed, I'd rather keep Kruger, but I agree that he's probably gone, and will not be worth what some team is likely to pay him. The same may be true for Ellerbe too.

If the choice is between a competent but not superstar LT and Reed, give me the tackle. You see how much better our line plays with Osemele at guard and Oher on the right side.

If the choice is between Boldin and Reed or Jacoby and Reed, I'll take the WR.

Ray Lewis, at 38, could probably sit in a film room and be a huge asset to the team, breaking down plays, determining tendencies, being able to read what an opponent is going to do. But his body is no longer capable of doing what needs to be done about it. And he's retiring because of that. Ed Reed is on that same path. A step slower here, a moment's reaction time there. The interception turns into just a PD. The PD turns into an allowed completion. The bad angle turns into an opposing touchdown. The missed tackle turns into a huge gain. We've already started to see it in bits and pieces. Having someone "retire as a Raven" is a terrible argument for letting that sort of breakdown happen to one of our players for an entire year, or more.
    Okay. I get it. You don't want Ed Reed back. Ed Reed at 50% is still better than 90% of the safeties out there today.
    Just so that I'm clear I'm not advocating signing Ed Reed at all cost so he can "retire a raven". Matter of fact very few posters on here are.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Okay. I get it. You don't want Ed Reed back. Ed Reed at 50% is still better than 90% of the safeties out there today.
    Just so that I'm clear I'm not advocating signing Ed Reed at all cost so he can "retire a raven". Matter of fact very few posters on here are.
    That is not nearly an accurate statement. A declining Ed Reed is not better than most other safeties. He gets respect on his reputation, but that reputation can disappear overnight. Ray Lewis was always an excellent cover linebacker because of his hustle, and has always been one of the very best at diagnosing plays and reading offenses. And yet the 49ers WENT RIGHT AT HIM because he couldn't cover inside receivers any more, and Vernon Davis ate him alive. Even if Ray knew what the play was going to be, that doesn't mean his body was still able to get him to the right spot in time to do anything more than chase after the completion. Ed's going to reach that point in the next couple seasons, and has shown signs of it already. Why pay him to watch that breakdown occur in a Ravens uniform?

That is not nearly an accurate statement. A declining Ed Reed is not better than most other safeties. He gets respect on his reputation, but that reputation can disappear overnight. Ray Lewis was always an excellent cover linebacker because of his hustle, and has always been one of the very best at diagnosing plays and reading offenses. And yet the 49ers WENT RIGHT AT HIM because he couldn't cover inside receivers any more, and Vernon Davis ate him alive. Even if Ray knew what the play was going to be, that doesn't mean his body was still able to get him to the right spot in time to do anything more than chase after the completion. Ed's going to reach that point in the next couple seasons, and has shown signs of it already. Why pay him to watch that breakdown occur in a Ravens uniform?
    I'll repeat again. Ed Reed at 50% is still better than 90% of the safeties out there today