Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

I'll Come out and say it, I disagree with you. We're so anxious to get rid of Reed as if we don't have other needs. I'll take Ed for 2-3 more years.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

I partly agree. I hope the Ravens don't do a multi year deal. If he wants 1 year to retire with us and it's reasonably cap friendly, then by all means let him. He's a leader and he deserves it. I'd rather he be with us than against us, especially if we don't have a clearly better option anyway.

Besides, you never know what his retirement speach might inspire the Ravens to achieve. ;)
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    I'll Come out and say it, I disagree with you. We're so anxious to get rid of Reed as if we don't have other needs. I'll take Ed for 2-3 more years.
    I lean this way, but I can see the other side as well.

The replacement answer of "just draft Matt Elam" is risky business, too. One, Elam might be not so great in the NFL - a lot of guys are, so I'm not busting on him; it's just that the draft is kind of a crap shoot. Two, why spend a high pick on a safety if there is a HOF-caliber one who would play for a reasonable cap hit? (Yes, that's an assumption, I know) That high draft pick can be use to draft another piece of the puzzle (and hope he doesn't end up a bust, either).

I was in Christian Thompson's corner when they drafted him, and I think he was a good pick. But let's be realistic - he is a 4th round pick from a small school and hasn't seen the field. He might be the answer, but I wouldn't be anointing him a starter yet, especially if there are potentially superior options available (aka: ed Reed).

4. Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

How about Omar Brown? Ed can't seem to praise the kid enough. And it does seem that Brown has a nose for the ball. They also have similar small build.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I lean this way, but I can see the other side as well.

The replacement answer of "just draft Matt Elam" is risky business, too. One, Elam might be not so great in the NFL - a lot of guys are, so I'm not busting on him; it's just that the draft is kind of a crap shoot. Two, why spend a high pick on a safety if there is a HOF-caliber one who would play for a reasonable cap hit? (Yes, that's an assumption, I know) That high draft pick can be use to draft another piece of the puzzle (and hope he doesn't end up a bust, either).

I was in Christian Thompson's corner when they drafted him, and I think he was a good pick. But let's be realistic - he is a 4th round pick from a small school and hasn't seen the field. He might be the answer, but I wouldn't be anointing him a starter yet, especially if there are potentially superior options available (aka: ed Reed).
    My sentiments exactly. Ed doesn't have to be the best player on the defense. We need to put better players around him so he can be in a supporting role, not the star.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

This post is amazingly wordy. I can't believe it took so long to say so little. I felt like I just sat through the State of the Union.

I think the key thing is to remember that we have a philosophy that's gotten us here - "Right player, right price." At some point, you're right, the economic cost of keeping Reed will outweigh the benefits, but I think you're being too abstract in accusing a relatively moderate salary of $3M causing us to lose "a younger piece of the puzzle."

Let's look at the last few years, especially this year. How many defensive backs have we seen come and go? Josh Wilson, Lardarius Webb, Cary Williams, Jimmy Smith, Laron Landry, Zibi, Pollard, Naka, to name a few. All of them, when in our secondary, have played above expectations (see Jimmy's performance, finally healthy, in the SB). Landry, Zibi, Pollard, and Wilson are not anything special on other teams. Lardarius Webb was unheard of. Cary Williams came from the practice squad.

Do you see a trend? Reed is a rock that coaches and manages the secondary to play at a completely different level. It's just the same way we are able to plug-in damn near every linebacker next to Ray Lewis and have them play above their expectations. There's a reason why the current reigning "Smartest Guy in the Room" Bill Belichick loves Reed. He's no fool. You see this in our rival, the Steelers. How much worse is their defense without 43? Likewise I wouldn't be surprised to see Green Bay's secondary defense take a step back with Woodson out.

I agree that you can't overpay Reed and sacrifice the young talent. But you make it sound like ALL our young players are worth more than Reed, and you can't say that.

Blog Entries

First, I really want Ed back.

Having said that, the OP raises many good points, most of which most of us have agreed with to some degree in the past. Even with legends, it's still always got to be "right player, right price." Always.

Who knows, maybe we can get Ed at the "right price"? I'd love that to happen.

But nobody would I support signing at the expense of destroying the roster. Hell, even Flacco while we're at it. I don't want a 1-man team that goes 7-9 every year. Screw that.

At the moment, even with declining skills, I still don't know who is a better option. Elam and Reid (LSU) are the only ones out there I like, but no guarantee to start, and may have flaws we don't know about. Ihedigbo is a UFA, Brown is unproven, Christian Thompson doesn't have the ball skills to play FS.

Reed still alters opponents' game plans. They don't target him. Any player who reduces the field in which opposing offenses work (think JJ for a minute) is still extremely valuable on this team. Taking parts of the field away, squeezing opponents into tight areas is what modern defense is all about. Reducing coverage/responsibility areas for teammates makes each teammate, in turn, more valuable.
    Reed gives us that, even though his speed, tackling and ball skills have diminished. No replacement will give us that, though a replacement may make 10 more tackles that Reed might miss, and might defend a few more passes. That player will also get targeted more, and probably open up the field for opponents in ways having Reed there prevents. So unless somebody blows my mind with a great, cheap replacement option, just letting Reed go does not make sense UNLESS he just wants more money than we can pay him while remaining competitive, and keeping a deep roster.

8. Re: I'll come right out and say it: I don't want Ed Reed back

I hope we can keep him one, maybe two more year(s) as long as the price is cap reasonable.
    And draft a FS either this or next year to learn from him, if Omar Brown isn't already being considered his heir apparent.
    Reed did remark earlier this season that Brown reminded him of himself:
    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...7-deb56c1148db

Blog Entries

I am coming from a physical standpoint. If we bring Reed back, we cannot expect him to make a tackle anymore. Balls that land in his arms are not guaranteed interceptions anymore.

Now, if the front seven can improve its run defense and we can get better play from the CBs, I think that Reed can be protected, much like Lewis was. If you can find a NT, or if Terrance Cody improves, look at all of the run stuffers you would have in the front seven: NT, Ngata, Jones, Suggs, Ellerbe, Upshaw. Teams would, once again, become one dimensional.

His leadership is definitely a plus, and it's true that many players play better here than elsewhere in their careers.

I'm still torn on this one.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I am coming from a physical standpoint. If we bring Reed back, we cannot expect him to make a tackle anymore. Balls that land in his arms are not guaranteed interceptions anymore.

Now, if the front seven can improve its run defense and we can get better play from the CBs, I think that Reed can be protected, much like Lewis was. If you can find a NT, or if Terrance Cody improves, look at all of the run stuffers you would have in the front seven: NT, Ngata, Jones, Suggs, Ellerbe, Upshaw. Teams would, once again, become one dimensional.

His leadership is definitely a plus, and it's true that many players play better here than elsewhere in their careers.

I'm still torn on this one.
    Not just his leadership, but his knowledge. He doesnt just work with the safeties. He gives pointers to almost everyone. Chykie Brown credits his improvement to Ed Reed. Chykie Brown was really solid this year and he went head to head with some very good receivers.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    So who plays FS next year?
    Convert Jimmy Smith to FS. Pollard is the other safety. Webb and Williams the CB's.

I want him back but only if his contract doesn't hamstring us.

The test will be if Harbs and Ozzie wants him back. If they do, that's good enough for me.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012