Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ok, here it is....my official projected 2013 roster

It'll be interesting to see what we do at WR...Hard to cut any of the current guys, but I've heard a few people thinking we'd draft another WR who would get a bit more separation.

Deonte may be a cut, he was inactive a WHOLE lot this year, seems like he might be in the doghouse?

As far as the draft, I see holes at FB (assuming Leach is cut, we need a back who can do it in goal line. Unless the TE you list is more an H-back?), WR, TE (good blocker, would go hand in hand with FB need), OT, NT/DT, ILB, S. I know we never go need, but if Reed and McKinnie don't return, LT and S become MUCH bigger priorities. I don't think we have a strong NT anywhere on the roster, so hopefully we can find Cody's eventual replacement there.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

What is this I don't even... this would be a major head-scratcher of an offseason. None of those FA moves make sense. Chad Rinehart is going to get a starter's contract somewhere that we can't afford (he's been excellent for the Bills over the last few years). The Ravens are not going to pay him to be a backup guard. DeAndre Levy is at least a borderline starter on a 4-3 team but he's a terrible fit for the 3-4, unless I'm way off base here there's no way the Ravens are interested in him.

Ricky Wagner is not worth trading up for in the 3rd; he's more like a 5th round pick at this point and he can't play LT in the NFL. Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd would be insanity, too... he'll be lucky to be drafted at all, much less on the 2nd day. Michael Williams in the 4th is a reach, I'm actually wondering if he gets drafted at all (he didn't even get a Combine invite so I wonder if the NFL is way lower on him than a lot of people in the draft community.)

I also think hoping for a 3rd round comp pick is way too optimistic. 3rd rounders are very, very rarely awarded. I think more like a 4th, two 5th's, and a 6th or 7th is more likely. All in all, while your effort to put this together is commendable and it's clearly well-reasoned, I would personally disagree with just about every personnel move the Ravens make in that projection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    What is this I don't even... this would be a major head-scratcher of an offseason. None of those FA moves make sense. Chad Rinehart is going to get a starter's contract somewhere that we can't afford (he's been excellent for the Bills over the last few years). The Ravens are not going to pay him to be a backup guard. DeAndre Levy is at least a borderline starter on a 4-3 team but he's a terrible fit for the 3-4, unless I'm way off base here there's no way the Ravens are interested in him.

Ricky Wagner is not worth trading up for in the 3rd; he's more like a 5th round pick at this point and he can't play LT in the NFL. Tyrann Mathieu in the 3rd would be insanity, too... he'll be lucky to be drafted at all, much less on the 2nd day. Michael Williams in the 4th is a reach, I'm actually wondering if he gets drafted at all (he didn't even get a Combine invite so I wonder if the NFL is way lower on him than a lot of people in the draft community.)

I also think hoping for a 3rd round comp pick is way too optimistic. 3rd rounders are very, very rarely awarded. I think more like a 4th, two 5th's, and a 6th or 7th is more likely. All in all, while your effort to put this together is commendable and it's clearly well-reasoned, I would personally disagree with just about every personnel move the Ravens make in that projection.
    Maybe, but we still have the combine to go...A good/bad combine can make/break some of these. If Matthieu has a great combine, he could work his way up the boards again. Te'o needs to have a great combine to re-establish his stock as well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Nice effort. No way I can argue over the who stays and goes equation. I have no idea what the cap implications of your plan would be.

While you can't expect them to shop for certain position with their top picks, I'd have to say that in an ideal world I wouldn't be hoping for a two OTs, S, TE and CB with their picks in rounds 2-5 (I also am willing to bet they don't get a supplemental pick in the third round -- that's about the highest possible award and I don't see it being earned based on what they lost).

And again, not trying to nitpick because I like your thinking overall and I acknowledge you don't draft for need. That said, I think the number one need on this team is defensive line. Kemo was shaky at best and I agree he's not back. Cody is a possible bust -- so it really makes me queasy to pencil him in as a starter. McPhee is a question mark after an injury filled season. I actually think Haloti was serious when he said that he has to think about retiring before he's crippled for life. Basically that leaves Art Jones as the one guy I feel really good about.

I don't think you can be nearly as negative with any other of the units on this team. So while the need to "replace Ray" is clear, I don't see it as the priority. And already you are hearing the team bracing the fans for the idea that they like the offensive linemen they have. Laugh if you want, but I have still not given up on Ramone Harewood. I won't be surprised if they pass on offensive linemen completely in this draft and bring in another Bobbie Williams type to sit in reserve for a year.

If I'm painting an ideal scenario I might try to fill the ILB spot with Ellerbe and McClain and bring in another veteran to push McClain or start over him depending on who is out there. They really need some better talent on the interior of that line and I believe this draft has some depth in this area.

The one thing you also have to factor in that will change your projections is that they always bring in two or three under the radar type veterans (I've suggested some of the places they fit).

Guys like Jacoby Jones, Justin Bannan, Cory Ivy, Corey Graham, Jim Leonard, etc usually get brought in on the cheap as role players.
    Last edited by Shas; 02-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what we do at WR...Hard to cut any of the current guys, but I've heard a few people thinking we'd draft another WR who would get a bit more separation.

Deonte may be a cut, he was inactive a WHOLE lot this year, seems like he might be in the doghouse?

As far as the draft, I see holes at FB (assuming Leach is cut, we need a back who can do it in goal line. Unless the TE you list is more an H-back?), WR, TE (good blocker, would go hand in hand with FB need), OT, NT/DT, ILB, S. I know we never go need, but if Reed and McKinnie don't return, LT and S become MUCH bigger priorities. I don't think we have a strong NT anywhere on the roster, so hopefully we can find Cody's eventual replacement there.
    I don't think Deonte was in the doghouse at all. It was just a numbers game thing. Once Jacoby overtook him as our KO returner, he really didn't have a lot of value. He was deep on the depth chart at WR and didn't play special teams. David Reed and Doss had more value. I think the organization is high on him, so much so that we IRed Streeter in favor of him making the team.

Michael Williams is a blocking beast. He could easily play a bit of that H back role.

I don't think the Ravens look at a WR this year. The only WRs worth drafting are in the top 4 rounds, and I don't think the Ravens prioritize that position highly enough to take a WR with their first four picks. If they don't, then the guys they get in rounds 5-7 are going to be even bigger projects with lower upsides than Thompson and Streeter, so we'd be better off sticking with those two 2nd year players.

Blog Entries

Great stuff as usual Luke, and I would be more than happy with this roster next season. I would probably like an upgrade at NT or DE, but maybe Ngata can play NT next season.

Don't forget, we pick last in every round, so our 4th is basically a 5th, and so on. I don't see Williams with 4th comp pick being terrible value. In fact, i did a "mock" with him exactly there this morning.
    Tyrann Mathieu will be drafted for sure. He was thought of by some as a better player then Morris Claiborne before the draft last year. He could certainly fall to day 3, but that's as far as he will fall. In my "mock" I had him with Williams as our two comp 4ths.

I'm pretty sure that AdamJT guy projected us to have 2 4ths, a 5th and a 6th. He's usually damn close. I can't remember if it was here or scout that I saw his predictions about a week ago.

And I disagree with most everything contained in yours. I've not seen a single mock draft where Wagner was still on the board by the 4th round. Most of the people I've seen grading him say he has very surprising athleticism and can quite possibly play LT at a good level in the NFL. That's why we have to trade up to get him.

Likewise, every draft I've seen but one has Matthieu off the board by the end of round 4.

You talk about Rinehart being excellent, yet, he's only started 21 games in 4 years in Buffalo and only played two games last year due to injury. He might get very low-end starter money, which we can afford.

Levy is a perfect for the Ravens. He can play inside or outside. Sizzle and Upshaw are likely going to be 3 down players next year, so Levy wouldn't be seeing the field on running downs anyways. He's very good in pass coverage and could definitely have value covering TEs in that area. He's not a pass rusher, but he can fill in for any of our 4 starting LBs in pass coverage.

Lastly, Michael Williams would be the last pick in the 4th round excluding supplemental picks (that's somewhere in the 125 range, which is about right for him, perhaps a tad high) I actually graded him as a mid-5th rounder, but I think taking him in the 4th is a smart move rather than risking him going elsewhere. Williams fills multiple needs, so I definitely want him, even if we have to reach a round or 1/2 round to get him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    And again, not trying to nitpick because I like your thinking overall and I acknowledge you don't draft for need. That said, I think the number one need on this team is defensive line. Kemo was shaky at best and I agree he's not back. Cody is a possible bust -- so it really makes me queasy to pencil him in as a starter. McPhee is a question mark after an injury filled season. I actually think Haloti was serious when he said
    Agreed, nose tackle is something I really want addressed, and I think Ozzie will, he started out saying DT needs to be upgraded, and it was pretty blatant the way he said it. "The younger guys have not quite stepped up yet".

Ozzie will address both ILB and NT IMO. I wouldn't be too happy with Elerbe and McClain in the middle. So I think Ozzie will draft a ILB in the draft pretty high, while addressing the Dline in free agency. I keep harping on about Terrence Knighton, I think he could solve our issue at NT. He is the perfect size and fit for the position.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed, nose tackle is something I really want addressed, and I think Ozzie will, he started out saying DT needs ti be upgraded, and it was pretty blatant the way he said it. "The younger guys have not quite stepped up yet".

Ozzie will address both ILB and NT IMO. I wouldn't be too happy with Elerbe and McClain in the middle. So I think Ozzie will draft a ILB in the draft pretty high, while addressing the Dline in free agency. I keep harping on about Terrence Knighton, I think he could solve our issue at NT. He is the perfect size and fit for the position.
    I hope our big splash in Free agency is Knighton.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I wouldn't be too happy with Elerbe and McClain in the middle.
    This won't go over well with many, but I think that 2013 Ellerbe is a big upgrade over 2012 Ray Lewis. McClain had a rough year with injuries, but I wouldn't write him off as being a possible Bart Scott type player. I'm always open to upgrading over a guy like that, but Ozzie seems to have a certain pride about finding inside linebackers for nothing -- Bart Scott, Ellerbe, McClain, Bynes, McClellan were all undrafted. Speaking of McClellan, I'm an unabashed fan and think he has been on the brink of big things for a year now and am anxious to see him in the mix on the inside. Although if they lose Kruger, then McClellan falls in behind Upshaw.

Kruger on NFL Live said he wanted to stay in Baltimore. He sounded genuine to not the whole "I'd love to stay but its a business" bull they usually say. I don't know why, but I see him being in Baltimore next year unless obviously some team just gives him a ridiculous contract.