The 2nd place reward. LOL!!!

Re: The 2nd place reward. LOL!!!

2ns place parade...also known as the walk of shame!

Part of me is curious to see a copy of the commercial they shot for Baltimore had the 49ers won.

The 49ers commercial featured people dressed up as the Golden Gate Bridge, a Trolley, etc.

I wonder what they had for Baltimore--I'm guessing probably a crab or two. Maybe the Bromo Seltzer Tower? The Aquarium? Omar from The Wire?

Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) tweeted out this gem yesterday:

(that's a VERY limited edition)

49ers_Bud_Lite.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) tweeted out this gem yesterday:

49ers_Bud_Lite.jpg
    So do poor kids in Africa get to enjoy that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    Don't know...I replied to send them to me and I would take care of them.....never heard back.

I think some should go to the Ravens in the Fog fan bar, though.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's a backhand to the face...but I'll be none of those guys remember the Playoff Bowl between the second-place finishers in the two NFL conferences:
    Vince Lombardi detested the Playoff Bowl, coaching in the games following the 1963 and 1964 seasons, after winning NFL titles in 1961 and 1962. To his players, he called it "the 'Sh-t Bowl', ...a losers' bowl for losers." This lack of motivation may explain his Packers' rare postseason defeat in the 1964 game (January 1965) to the St. Louis Cardinals. After that loss, he fumed about "a hinky-dink football game, held in a hinky-dink town, played by hinky-dink players. That's all second place is – hinky dink."

Using the Playoff Bowl (and loss) as motivation in 1965, the Packers won the first of three consecutive NFL championships from 1965-67.
    Um, I doubt that "motivation" meant nearly as much as incompetent (or biased) officiating:
    ...in 1965 [Don Chandler, Green Bay placekicker] kicked the winning field goal for the Packers against the Colts in a Western Conference playoff game at Green Bay. Chandler's fourth-quarter field goal that tied the game at 10–10 stirred controversy, as many Baltimore players and fans thought he missed the kick to the right.
    I remember the photo of that kick from the end zone that the News-American published showing it was a yard wide right. (Can't find it on the Net, to my surprise...)

I mention this only because the Colts were playing with halfback Tom Matte at QB after both Unitas & backup Gary Cuozzo got hurt--which continued when (as the conference runnerup) it came time to play the Cowboys in the 1966 Playoff Bowl. Baltimore crushed Dallas 35-3, Matte threw for two TDs & was named game MVP. (For all you young'uns, here's Matte's wife's account of that crazy time.)

As someone has pointed out, if the Colts win that game, the Packers mystique might never get off the ground & there probably is no such thing as a Lombardi--the trophy would still exist but named after someone (or something) else...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I remember the photo of that kick from the end zone that the News-American
    I remember that game.
    The next year the NFL made the goal posts taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreboy View Post
    I remember that game.
    The next year the NFL made the goal posts taller.
    They also added an official under the goalpost so that there were now 2 - one under each upright