Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Boller extension? The ball is in his court.

Per the Sun:

Based on reports in the Sun and other sources, it's up to Kyle Boller to accept an offer from the Ravens for a contract extension.

The Ravens have approached backup quarterback Kyle Boller about a contract extension, a league source said.

Boller, a 2003 first-round pick, is entering the final year of his contract and would become an unrestricted free agent in March.

Details of the extension -- the length and financial numbers -- are unknown. It is believed that the Ravens began discussing a new contract with Boller within the past couple of months.
    I believe that this may be behind the Leftwich story leak: play some hardball with Kyle right now by creating a stalking horse for negotiations. If no deal is struck, Leftwich takes a year to heal and to learn the system. I would expect to see an above market deal, including a games played bonus.

This is the right move by our FO. Since December 2005 (after climbing the tough NFL QB learning curve), Boller has demonstrated that he can play effective QB in the NFL. At least average, which is all that we need to be a contender. Keeping him in 2008/2009 assures QB stability, regardless of McNair's age, injuries, arm strength issues etc.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Boller extension? The ball is in his court.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Per the Sun:

I believe that this may be behind the Leftwich story leak: play some hardball with Kyle right now by creating a stalking horse for negotiations. If no deal is struck, Leftwich takes a year to heal and to learn the system. I would expect to see an above market deal, including a games played bonus.

This is the right move by our FO. Since December 2005 (after climbing the tough NFL QB learning curve), Boller has demonstrated that he can play effective QB in the NFL. At least average, which is all that we need to be a contender. Keeping him in 2008/2009 assures QB stability, regardless of McNair's age, injuries, arm strength issues etc.

This is taken directly from Adam Schefter on NFLN.

There has been no confirmation of this at all.

PP

Thumbs up Re: Boller extension? The ball is in his court.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post

PP
    I believe that very soon you will see another story on this from Aaron Wilson which will shed more light. I know that you just cannot wait!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I believe that very soon you will see another story on this from Aaron Wilson which will shed more light. I know that you just cannot wait!
    "He has a very clear understanding of where we are here. Steve McNair is our starting quarterback and have no reason to believe Steve won't remain that for a number of years. We clearly would like to have Kyle back and would be very interested in extending Kyle."

That's Billick from the radio last night. I heard it.

Although Im 100% against extending Boller, it's nice to know he's not gonna sniff the starting job. If they do extend Boller, I hope that his new contract expires before or when McNair leaves.

Im sure you're on cloud nine T.

Why, I have no idea but Im sure you are nonetheless.

PP

This is taken directly from Adam Schefter on NFLN.

PP
    If NFLN and the Sun are both reporting it, how much confirmation is required?

Although I would actually like to see Boller come back, I would be very surprised if that happened. At a minimum, he will probably want to test the FA market. He wants to play, and McNair is not likely to retire anytime soon. Boller will probably at least look at teams where he has a chance to start (and yes, there are teams out there like that).

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    If NFLN and the Sun are both reporting it, how much confirmation is required?

Although I would actually like to see Boller come back, I would be very surprised if that happened. At a minimum, he will probably want to test the FA market. He wants to play, and McNair is not likely to retire anytime soon. Boller will probably at least look at teams where he has a chance to start (and yes, there are teams out there like that).
    HW

It was more wishful thinking I guess.

I have to say that Im very surprised about this and I admit that I was very wrong.

I wonder if the Ravens are offering a deal that is very low on salary and hoping he takes it. I guess we'll wait and see.

PP

Per the Sun:

An above market deal?

I would expect that it would be a market deal or below.

PP

Per the Sun:

Could not agree more....well said!!!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Assuming the price is right, I don't see any problem with the move. It still allows for either a draft pick to be transitioned or another stopgap old timer. Kyle won't be the starting QB here again for any significant period of time, but I think he provides some depth and he's the sort of player that could be better in his 30's than his 20's. What's my rationale for that? Well:

1. Since he has a fantastic arm in his 20's, he should still have a good arm in his 30's.

2. His read times have been a major detraction from his effectiveness. I actually think we've already seen modest improvement here, but these will improve simply with reps, practice or game. This is one thing that generally improves with age.

3. His internal clock/pocket presence will develop, or he'll be hurt. I think this is also something we can expect to improve with age. McNair, for instance, has had improving sack numbers as he has got older. I'd need a much bigger sample to prove this point, but my intuition is telling me it's true.

4. The last key will be to see if there are improvements in accuracy. To be effective he needs not just to work through his reads quickly, but throw the ball in a position where the receiver can make a catch with the hope for YAC. He has to have the confidence to throw balls on a line over the middle instead of having the fade as bread and butter and using the sideline/endline to protect himself from turnovers. I think the departures of Clarence Moore and Jamal Lewis will help in this regard, because neither of them could nor wanted to catch a poorly thrown ball. Williams is a great long-ball target and Boller seems to trust him. Heap has always been his favorite receiver, and both Mason and Clayton are sure-handed intermediate options. Toss in Musa, and you have another nice set of hands. I have heard conflicting reports on McGahee, so we'll wait and see.

I agree with T and others who have been quoting the most recent stats. It's dangerous when you are setting the break point, but in general, the most recent stats are the most pertinent. The fact that his 2006 season was even better than the end of 2005 is also a nice sign.

Is there any chance we can have a reasoned conversation on Boller, or are we forever relegated to restatements of well-known biases?

Per the Sun:

Plagerism, even on a message board, is really bad form.

What that said, Since when does a QB, who trips over his own feet and fumbles the ball when nobody is around considered an "effective QB in the NFL"????? :insane:

Kyle is a great guy. But an effective NFL quarterback? Hell, pay me millions to loose games and cough up turnovers!

You may be the only person in the world who thinks Boller has shown he can be an effective QB in the NFL. If he's shown that since December 2005, why did the FO feel they needed to get McNair in June 2006?

Wink Re: Boller extension? The ball is in his court.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    You may be the only person in the world who thinks Boller has shown he can be an effective QB in the NFL. If he's shown that since December 2005, why did the FO feel they needed to get McNair in June 2006?
    Oh, really?

You didn't think he was effective in the two night games in December 2005? In the two relief jobs he did last season?

More significantly: If Billick doesn't think that Boller is effective, then why are the Ravens offering him an extension?